help with servo setup

Zeligman

Hi everyone - working on my first ft build with ailerons - have centered the servos and set up the y connection. tested them just in case and they turn opposite from one another (when one turns forward the other turns back) ... i can see reasons for that being both correct and incorrect ... btw its the ft mini mustang ... Can someone please confirm this setup to be a go or a no-go before i get to hot glue hell? :)

thank you!

-Z

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
you can reverse in your radio if they are backwards, just put them in the way that works best mechanically.

If you want some reference, here is how I put mine on my Tiny Trainer (just finished) and they are moving the correct way:
alerons.jpg

MacandRita

Hi Zeligman,
I have set up my scout with a y connector on my ailerons. This makes the two servos rotate in the same direction so it is important that the servos are placed correctly and the arms attached correctly. My servos are mounted in a different orientation to Jasonk with the servos at 90 degrees to the spar. The arms face outward and when both servos rotate anti clockwise the left servo arm moves down pulling the control horn toward it, while the right servo arm moves up pushing the control horn away from it. The result is one aileron tilts up the other down.
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi everyone - working on my first ft build with ailerons - have centered the servos and set up the y connection. tested them just in case and they turn opposite from one another (when one turns forward the other turns back) ... i can see reasons for that being both correct and incorrect ... btw its the ft mini mustang ... Can someone please confirm this setup to be a go or a no-go before i get to hot glue hell? :)

thank you!

-Z

yes one swings forward one backwards. in order for the airplane to roll along its long axis you need to create a twist, that is done by one aileron pushing down, the other lifting up. one wing with aileron up is forcing the wing down while the other is lifting, creating the twist.

easiest way to do this use a y-harness to connect 2 aileron servos to Rx, or a little more involved and better is to program flaperons or twin servos in your radio. if you do this it gives you control of each aileron and you can trim each independently. the y-harness ties them both together no matter what. if you adjust one down, the other goes up.
good luck,

me :cool:

Zeligman

yes one swings forward one backwards. in order for the airplane to roll along its long axis you need to create a twist, that is done by one aileron pushing down, the other lifting up. one wing with aileron up is forcing the wing down while the other is lifting, creating the twist.

easiest way to do this use a y-harness to connect 2 aileron servos to Rx, or a little more involved and better is to program flaperons or twin servos in your radio. if you do this it gives you control of each aileron and you can trim each independently. the y-harness ties them both together no matter what. if you adjust one down, the other goes up.
good luck,

those are the exact two reasons why I could see t gf e answer going either way 😉 tyvm!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if you use linkage connecters it isn't an issue because you can mechanically adjust. but, if you do like pictured above and use just wire, you loose that ability.

personally, i HATE linkage connectors. i hate dealing with them, the little nuts, bolts, all a potential failure points.

if you use 1 piece of wire, chances are it won't fail. once you have built enough and bent enough wire it becomes pretty easy to be just about perfect, then the independent programing control in the Tx takes care of the small amount of trim.

good luck,

Zeligman

Ok finished the whole build... Electronics etc... Just waiting on stable dry day for maiden flight. This one seems super solid and I am very hopeful for a successful launch. Woohoo these minis are tight with electronics!
IMG_20200518_155217.jpg

Zeligman

i wanted to go with visibility over pretty -it looks like a clown car - but loved the tiger nose - i had a revell model when i was 10 and remembered it :)