Help with Tiny Trainer and Scout

Jaybird8388

I have built the scout and the tiny trainer. Both have done the same thing when trying to fly. They bank hard to the right immediately and go straight into the ground. I had the scout up once but then the wings crumpled mid air. I make sure everything is leveled out and check the check beforehand and I have the same issue.
Also the tiny trainer is a bit nose heavy even when pushing the battery back as far as it can go. The battery I’m using is the TATTU 850mAh 11.1V 45C 3S.
Thank you!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
If they are banking hard and down they might have to much thrust angle. To test this, go to some tall grass and hand launch your plane without an throttle if it flies straight, you'll know something is off with the thrust angle.

I've never heard of a wing crumpling mid air what were you doing at the time? what type of foam are you using?

What size motor and prop are you running on your planes?

One last thing the next time you get out to fly try and get a video so that we can see what is happening and diagnose the problem easier.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
There is a gotcha on both the TT and the Mini Scout and that is that you MUST use a CCW prop as that is the what the powerpod is designed to suit.

Do you have a picture of your planes setup?

Have fun!

Jaybird8388

I can take pictures of the planes and get a video when I go back out probably tomorrow. I’m using everything from FT. Everything I have I bought from them. I’m using power pack A. The scout had taken numerous hits before crumpling so I figured it was just from that. I also am using a CCW prop since learning the hard way with that!
The video will probably be the most help so I’ll try to get that ASAP.
Thank you again!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Then you might want to lower your thrust angle so it's straighter but still slightly down and to the right.

kdobson83

Are you launching the plane at full throttle? My TT would bank to the right a little at launch but I only used about 50% throttle. What size props are you using? The bigger the prop the more torque roll you will get. Haw many channels is your TT? 3 or 4?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The biggest thing? Don't get discouraged. Look at all the questions the family is asking and answer them to the best of your ability. Those are knowledgeable people there. They can get you through this, they just need more info. They can and will get you airborne. Me? I'm just here to say "Go Team, Go!

Maybe my avatar should be a cheerleader. :unsure:

FDS

Elite member
You can also fit the battery pack to the bottom of the fuselage at the front, to help push it farther back.
I have kept my packs very light, only 5-600mah to help the weight distribution.
I had a similar problem with mine, it was the thrust angle that was the issue, my power pod was bent after a crash.
If your wing collapsed, as in the two halves separated, then you might want a stronger spar when you rebuild it, maybe put a BBQ skewer on the front edge of the FT box spar in the wing when you build it up.
Were you using the same power pod in both models?

PoorManRC

Master member
Just throwing this out there....
Do you have a 2S Battery? Cutting down the torque would help a bit, especially if you're one of us less experienced guys. :p

FDS

Elite member
If you have a 960-1000Kv motor in there then even a 6x4 prop may not generate enough thrust on 2s, I am too ignorant to calculate the difference between the two and the store listing for power pack A didn’t have prop specs on it.
If you step down your rpm then you might need a bigger prop with a little more pitch on it, which you might not have in stock.
I am sure someone clever will calculate the thrust from dropping a few battery volts,

Jaybird8388

Are you launching the plane at full throttle? My TT would bank to the right a little at launch but I only used about 50% throttle. What size props are you using? The bigger the prop the more torque roll you will get. Haw many channels is your TT? 3 or 4?
I’m using a 6x3 prop I believe and I’m using 3 channel. I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible lol. Is there a smaller prop I should be using? It was the size that came with power pack A

Jaybird8388

Bad news, when I went to take it out yesterday to record a flight my elevator wasn’t working. I checked everything and realized the servo wire connected to the antenna was pulled out of the connector that goes into the antenna. It’s one thing after another! Lol. I’m not completely discouraged yet and I still am determined to get in the air. Any suggestions for that issue? I unfortunately don’t have any extra serves right now.
Thank you guys so much, you are all the best!

Jaybird8388

You can also fit the battery pack to the bottom of the fuselage at the front, to help push it farther back.
I have kept my packs very light, only 5-600mah to help the weight distribution.
I had a similar problem with mine, it was the thrust angle that was the issue, my power pod was bent after a crash.
If your wing collapsed, as in the two halves separated, then you might want a stronger spar when you rebuild it, maybe put a BBQ skewer on the front edge of the FT box spar in the wing when you build it up.
Were you using the same power pod in both models?
Attaching the battery outside would be a great idea! And I actually built a second power pod from the trainer kit and I’m using that one now

kdobson83

I feel like something else is going on. I had a 800 3s pushed all the way up front on my TT and it balanced perfect. And yeah, a 6x3 prop is just right for pretty much any of the minis. Is this a kit your trying to fly or a scratch built? Thrust angle could be off if it's a scratch build. You may not have enough throw with your control surfaces either, too little movement will keep it from countering the torque produced on take off. When you turn left does the rudder point left? Sounds silly but reversed control surfaces has gotten me before.

And lastly, does everything look square? Like the wing in proportion to the tail and fuselage? My brothers mini scout got a tad warped in the garage and it pulled hard. Harder than simple trim could correct. Keep trying.

Don't give up. If all else fails, build something else. I learned on the FT Flyer and when I moved to the TT it was simple (no pun intended) and easy. SUPER simple to build and repair lol. It will get you in the air and get your fingers use to 3 channels. Easy to scratch build, uses the same batteries and esc you have, but may require a lower kv motor with a bigger prop. $10-15 pretty much anywhere.

Anyway, good luck.

PoorManRC

Master member
I have a 3s battery. I was wondering if a 2s would help out

It could..... But like @FDS said, you'd need a deeper pitched Prop.
Maybe a 6X8 or even a 7x6, if you think you've got the room.

This is opinion, based on quite a few Videos I've seen, on Trainers with 3S and 2S...
Long Wingspan Aircraft, like the Storch that I'll EVENTUALLY finish, float along quite slowly on 2S, and a 10x6 SF Prop - making self taught Flight MUCH easier!!

..... Just thoughts from another N00B!

Jaybird8388

I feel like something else is going on. I had a 800 3s pushed all the way up front on my TT and it balanced perfect. And yeah, a 6x3 prop is just right for pretty much any of the minis. Is this a kit your trying to fly or a scratch built? Thrust angle could be off if it's a scratch build. You may not have enough throw with your control surfaces either, too little movement will keep it from countering the torque produced on take off. When you turn left does the rudder point left? Sounds silly but reversed control surfaces has gotten me before.

And lastly, does everything look square? Like the wing in proportion to the tail and fuselage? My brothers mini scout got a tad warped in the garage and it pulled hard. Harder than simple trim could correct. Keep trying.

It is the kit that I built and I was obsessive about it being all squared up. All the controls also point the way they should. I’m wondering if I was using too much throttle when trying to take off. I’m hand launching with the trainer. I would put the throttle up to about 50% or more and then toss it forward. It’s also extremely possible when getting the controller back in hand I’m hitting the rudder. So many options! Lol. I just need to get the servo wire fixed so I can try to figure this all out

FDS

Elite member
So your servo plug has a wire pulled out where it meets the receiver?
If so you don’t need to swap the servo, just repair or replace the plug.
I don’t attach the battery outside, you don’t want a soft cell lipo hanging under a belly lander. I put it inside, on the bottom of the fuselage, I can get a picture at some point if that helps.
Have a look at this video, you can see how I launch mine, see how yours compares.

I am by no means “doing it right” but it gets up and stays up (mostly!)

Last edited: