Help with V Tail quad !! issues with lift off and flying

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Az,

That's great! Practice will help, but you're on your way!

Throttle management takes time to learn, but it won't take long. Until then consider turning down the stick scaling on your throttle to about 3/4 of what you have now -- think of it as a reduced rate for the throttle channel -- the top of the stick isn't as strong, and you'll hover at a higher stick position. As you get better, you can slowly dial that back up to get the top end thrust.

Firing up 1.6 and turning on autolevel can help a lot. Think of it like training wheels -- you can still fall of the bike with them on, but it's a lot harder to! A stable autolevel will keep the copter flat, so it stops picking up momentum when you center the sticks.

A good tutorial for flashing:

Two warnings:

- *UNPLUG YOUR ESCs AND RECEIVER FROM THE BOARD* there have been reports of USBasp's browning out during programming with the rest of the electronics plugged in, which can brick the board.

- like any other flash process, leave it alone until it finishes -- unplug it mid flash and you'll likely brick it.

That should get you through the process. When it comes time to pick the ROM, there are *FAR* more options than in the video. There should be a blue "i" icon, that will pull up a link to that ROM's support page/thread.

If something isn't clear, let us know.

Good luck!

azkiker

ok im having problems. this what i get when i click on the kkflashtoolwin32.exe file
error.jpg what does this mean?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Do you have Java installed?

If you run a 64bit OS, install 64bit Java. If you go to the Java home site and you autodetect and you use a 32bit browser with a 64 bit OS, the autodetecter will install 32bit Java and that won't run the flash tool.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Oh, Java IMO is horrid and is considered by many to be a security hole in a PC.

Once you flash you may wish to remove all traces of Java.

azkiker

ok guys i need help here!! i have downloaded the Java Runtime 7 bit64 and its still showing the same message Start up error. just like on the screenshoot i posted above. What do i do?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Silly question: you did reboot right?

Are you sure you're using the 64bit version of win7? The typical version is 32 bit (regardless what processor you're running on) and most people use the 32 bit version. If you're not sure, it's 32 bit, and all the software (Java and flashtool) needs to be 32 bit.

Also did you install the driver for your USBasp? This one worked for me, but YMMV:

http://www.protostack.com/blog/2011/05/usbasp-driver-for-windows-7-and-windows-vista-x64/

azkiker

Yeah i did reboot , quite few times actually. even uninstalled the older Java.
and im sure its 64bit cos it says on the Control Panel - that its a 64bit OS

Johan

Yeah i did reboot , quite few times actually. even uninstalled the older Java.
and im sure its 64bit cos it says on the Control Panel - that its a 64bit OS

I think it might be that the Java PATH / runtime path is not set maybe?
Applications that use the Java SDK / runtime look in the PATh to find it an start it. My guess is that the runtime path is not set and therefore the flash tool thinks it is not installed ...

Maybe the following is happening:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671158

Look ik your "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders:

If Java is in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, it has installed the 32 Bit version, otherwise the 64 bit version.
Check the PATH settings in you windows to see if the JRE is in it, otherwise it will not find it ...

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Go here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

This will tell you what you have. You MUST uninstall all other versions of Java for the flash tool to work if you are running a 64 bit os.

Then you have to install the 64 bit version. Then reboot.

This Java thing was the hardest part of flying with a KK2 for me. On the bright side, once you get this licked, it's all gravy. :)

azkiker

uughh ive been doin this Java detection since morning and it has verified that " you have the recommended Java update installed version 7 update 45 "
i have uninstalled all versions of java and i only have Jre7 in Java file under program files. im lost. only option is to try it on my friend's PC

Johan

i see the java file in the Program files x86, it says - jre7, and how do i check the PATH and all that stuff?

checking the path:
Go to start menu press Run
enter:

cmd

A command window pops up

type:

PATH

check if %JAVA_HOME% (or something related to Java) is in the path (should be %JAVA_HOME%)

It should be, now follow these instructions to check JAVA_HOME:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Setting+the+JAVA_HOME+Variable+in+Windows

I can't blame you not liking this ... :)

Oh, skip step 10, it is only relevant for another product, not for the kkflashtool

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
The single most challenging aspect of the KK2 board is in my opinion, dealing with Java. I flew for weeks on 1.2.

The good news is that once you get this beaten, the hardest part is over.

azkiker

well im sorry, i just do not have the brain capacity and patience when it comes to IT stuff and variables and all that BS. Im goin to a friend's place to do this, cos the flashtool opened up and worked on his laptop. I hope once i upgrade this firmware i have no need to upgrade again. i hope its a one time thing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
well im sorry, i just do not have the brain capacity and patience when it comes to IT stuff and variables and all that BS. Im goin to a friend's place to do this, cos the flashtool opened up and worked on his laptop. I hope once i upgrade this firmware i have no need to upgrade again. i hope its a one time thing.

Az,

Sorry you had to resort to flashing on a friend's laptop, but Java can be more trouble than its worth!

1.6 is very stable, and unless you want the extra features in the moded ROMs, I think you'll be happy with it.

azkiker

Dan, Johan, Xuzme, Cranial and all the others in this thread that tried to help. i ve been up since till 3am trying to fix the java on my pc, install and uninstall, and pathway or home path or watever variables or Java lang i had to put up with. But im burned out. I just wanna say thanks to all of you!! i will keep you updated after im done updating firmware at a friend's.

Thank you very much all of you!! and as for JAVA.... S@#%w YOU! for being so difficult and unstable!!

Thanks again guys!