Herr Pitts Special electrified build

DanH80

Just thought it would be fun to post this, I'd been itching to build an electric Pitts of this size, and someone recommended the Herr kit. Here it is so far, it just needs a few final touches and it's ready for maiden if the wind ever calms down! I tried to keep it light, but didn't go too crazy. Once I get a battery for my scale I'll post weight. Oh and I added upper ailerons but I'm still working out the attachment between the lower and upper ones. One servo per wing though. Should be fun, only my second electric plane since my 20 year hiatus...

Attachments

• IMG_20200113_202005044.jpg
    IMG_20200113_202005044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200110_162824171.jpg
    IMG_20200110_162824171.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
Just thought it would be fun to post this, I'd been itching to build an electric Pitts of this size, and someone recommended the Herr kit. Here it is so far, it just needs a few final touches and it's ready for maiden if the wind ever calms down! I tried to keep it light, but didn't go too crazy. Once I get a battery for my scale I'll post weight. Oh and I added upper ailerons but I'm still working out the attachment between the lower and upper ones. One servo per wing though. Should be fun, only my second electric plane since my 20 year hiatus...
Awesome! I have a herr cloud ranger on the way

DanH80

One thing I haven't figured out yet is the best way to access the battery. I made a slot in the front formers so it can angle in from where the fuel tank went, but to access that I'd have to remove the prop and the cowl which would be annoying. But accessing by removing the lower wing would be just as annoying....

OliverW

Legendary member
One thing I haven't figured out yet is the best way to access the battery. I made a slot in the front formers so it can angle in from where the fuel tank went, but to access that I'd have to remove the prop and the cowl which would be annoying. But accessing by removing the lower wing would be just as annoying....
If you can mark it just right, a hatch on the bottom of the fuse is probably best. I mean like right up at the nose or wherever is best for CG

DanH80

Successful maiden! Finally had a less windy day. I didn't know what the aileron throws should be like, since I double the ailerons. I got lucky, and it was no problem.

Flies very nice and stable, and slows down great. I think I kept it pretty light, I still need to get a battery for my small scale so I can see where it ended up.

I had to cut it short, as I was flying with a 2 month old baby in an Ergo on my chest. I'm excited to fly it again with the trims more dialed, and play with some flaps too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_144008654_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200131_144008654_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0