Hexacopter ESC Calibration issues

pahern99

Hello all, I just joined the forum to hopefully pick the brains of some people more knowledgeable in multirotor design than myself. This summer I have been building a hexacopter that will be used for surveying purposes. It's based on the Tarot 680 Pro frame with a Pixhawk 4 FC and power distribution board, T motor U3 motors, Hobbywing Platinum Opto 30A ESC's, Jumper T16 transmitter and a Jumper R1 receiver. Right now I have everything wires and getting power, however I cannot get the ESC's into calibration mode. All that I'm getting is a beep and twitch from each motor every 2 seconds. No noise from the ESC's. I assume this is an issue with the signal going to the ESC, but I am unsure how to go about fixing such an issue. I believe I have everything connected properly to the FC. I'm using Mission Planner to set up the drone. I'm very new to this and never worked with a drone until 2 months ago so forgive me for my inexperience. Thanks!

pahern99

This may be the same issue you had... solution is in the video description.

It is similar, however I get no noise from the ESC's whatsoever. In the video when he first connected the battery and got the beep every 2 seconds, that is all that I have. My wiring is as follows:
FMU PWM out on PMB --> ESC signal wires
I/O PWM out +FMU PWM out on FC --> in ports on PMB
CAP + ADC out on PMB --> CAP + ADC in on FC
POWER 1 and 2 wires connected
DSM/SBUS RC --> Receiver
GPS is plugged into FC
Telemetry plugged into TELEM1 on FC
All power wires for ESCs soldered to respective pads on PMB

Do I need to use the external bent CAP + ADC in pins on the PMB? I am using the Pixhawk GPS with the arm switch if that makes any difference with the ESC calibration. Another question: do I actually need to do the ESC calibration to get the motors to spin? Because currently I get no motor reaction from moving the throttle up or down.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It is similar, however I get no noise from the ESC's whatsoever. In the video when he first connected the battery and got the beep every 2 seconds, that is all that I have. My wiring is as follows:
FMU PWM out on PMB --> ESC signal wires
I/O PWM out +FMU PWM out on FC --> in ports on PMB
CAP + ADC out on PMB --> CAP + ADC in on FC
POWER 1 and 2 wires connected
DSM/SBUS RC --> Receiver
GPS is plugged into FC
Telemetry plugged into TELEM1 on FC
All power wires for ESCs soldered to respective pads on PMB

Do I need to use the external bent CAP + ADC in pins on the PMB? I am using the Pixhawk GPS with the arm switch if that makes any difference with the ESC calibration. Another question: do I actually need to do the ESC calibration to get the motors to spin? Because currently I get no motor reaction from moving the throttle up or down.
Do the motors spin when you use the test motors functionality in the Mission Planner configurator? Can you post pictures of your pixhawk and wiring?

Cheers!
LitterBug

pahern99

Do the motors spin when you use the test motors functionality in the Mission Planner configurator? Can you post pictures of your pixhawk and wiring?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Attached are pictures of the wiring as best as I could do. Sorry about the mess of wiring. I tried to do the motor test functionality on MP but only got a 7-tone beep pattern from the ESC's upon trying to do so.

Attachments

• DronePic1.jpg
    DronePic1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DronePic2.jpg
    DronePic2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was actually able to track the wires ok with those blown up on my screen. I should get my Heavy lift quad build out and finish setting up the PixFalcon on it so I have something to compare to. I have mostly been using ArduPlane lately and am a bit rusty on my ArduCopter config. What versions of arducopter and Mission planner are you running?

Cheers!
LitterBug

pahern99

I was actually able to track the wires ok with those blown up on my screen. I should get my Heavy lift quad build out and finish setting up the PixFalcon on it so I have something to compare to. I have mostly been using ArduPlane lately and am a bit rusty on my ArduCopter config. What versions of arducopter and Mission planner are you running?

Cheers!
LitterBug
So I thought I had a software issue going on with the ESC's or FC, but it turned out to be something simple: the signal wires for the ESC's had to be soldered to the M1-M6 pads on the PMB as opposed to the FMU PWM out pins. Changed this and was able to get the ESC's calibrated and the transmitter controls the motors now! Thank you for your help through this even though it ended up just being a wiring issue on my part. So for anyone that stumbles across this problem using the Holybro PM07-V2.2 PMB with a Pixhawk FC, solder the ESC signal wires to the small corresponding circular contacts M1 through M4 or M6 based on copter style. These small contacts are next to the ESC power pads, very small circular pads with through holes. Doing this solved my issue

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So I thought I had a software issue going on with the ESC's or FC, but it turned out to be something simple: the signal wires for the ESC's had to be soldered to the M1-M6 pads on the PMB as opposed to the FMU PWM out pins. Changed this and was able to get the ESC's calibrated and the transmitter controls the motors now! Thank you for your help through this even though it ended up just being a wiring issue on my part. So for anyone that stumbles across this problem using the Holybro PM07-V2.2 PMB with a Pixhawk FC, solder the ESC signal wires to the small corresponding circular contacts M1 through M4 or M6 based on copter style. These small contacts are next to the ESC power pads, very small circular pads with through holes. Doing this solved my issue

So you did exactly what was stated in that video Description I linked. Be sure and do the calibrations as he states as well.

pahern99

So you did exactly what was stated in that video Description I linked. Be sure and do the calibrations as he states as well.
Now that I re-read the description it seems so, I originally thought that description was talking about using the pins that I had already been using. Once I thought about it more I did a temporary connection to then by soldering a jumper cable connector to it and plugging in my ESC’s. Thanks!