Hey all! New flyer here

bustedparts

Hello , I just bought the P40 WR and I ordered everything to make it flight worthy . I have experience in the RC world as I raced 10th scale buggies and trucks or many years. I got out of it because of the expense of racing equipment. But this seems like a good bit of fun. Make your own planes and then fly them! Sounds super fun. Anyway I do have a couple of 3D printers I built and I have a mini lathe so I would like to make some parts to improve on the looks of the pane I am building. Lake maybe guns for the wings, bombs ,ect . Anything to make it look as realistic as possible. I figured this would be the perfect place to ask. Cant wait to hear from yah'll thanks for taking a look.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
Learn to fly first. Don’t spend a lot of time making your first few planes look good. After you learn to fly, then you can make them look realistic.

Start with a trainer plane. When you progress to the point you can fly it inverted across the field, you are ready to fly any plane you want.

TedD70

I'm new to this forum too ... but old to building, and not flying RC planes. I have a number of them in my basement that are 35+ years old, but never flown. I love to build but have never learned to fly, much to my disappointment.

Up in NJ I spent over $600 to join 2 clubs (dues and "initiation fees") ... and nobody ever had the time to teach.

20 years ago I moved to north Georgia ... and there isn't much up here. The closest club requires an AMA membership, a years worth of dues and more "initiation fees ... that's $300.

I have just bought another "trainer" ... a Volantexrc Sport Cup 500. It has "beginner aids" which may help the nube flyer.

Yeah ... I agree ... do what you can to learn to fly.

BTW ... WELCOME, and I can't wait to see what you build!!! There is a pretty good group here. If you need anything ... just ask.

bustedparts

I dont think it is going to take much to learn to fly. I have a decent number of hours in flight sims and I have a pretty good idea on the mechanics of flight. It's going to be the rookie things of RC flight is where I am most likely going to get hung up. I have flow drones before the FCC made everyone get a license for them but I no longer own any . But I am thinking of building one. Point taken on not worrying about making it pretty and I am 100% sure that its going to get some damage. I think is like the old saying. Flying is easy, it's the landing part!

bisco

Elite member
i taught myself to fly with a sport cub 500. it's great for brain training orientation (opposite rudder when coming vs going)
so i can fly most anything, but i have hit a wall in advancing. idk if it's just me, or if you really need a teacher to learn proper aerobatics.

mastermalpass

Elite member
I dont think it is going to take much to learn to fly. I have a decent number of hours in flight sims and I have a pretty good idea on the mechanics of flight. It's going to be the rookie things of RC flight is where I am most likely going to get hung up. I have flow drones before the FCC made everyone get a license for them but I no longer own any . But I am thinking of building one. Point taken on not worrying about making it pretty and I am 100% sure that its going to get some damage. I think is like the old saying. Flying is easy, it's the landing part!

The handy thing about a 3D printer, I presume, is that little 3D printed cosmetic parts are more likely to bounce out of a crash and stay intact, so you can just stick 'em in the next plane. :)

Bricks

Master member
i taught myself to fly with a sport cub 500. it's great for brain training orientation (opposite rudder when coming vs going)
so i can fly most anything, but i have hit a wall in advancing. idk if it's just me, or if you really need a teacher to learn proper aerobatics.

Get yourself something like this. https://valuehobby.com/epp-plane, and fly the wings off of it. They are decent fliers for not much money and will take a beating. Learn some 3D flying and the rest of your flying will just get better. 3d flying will teach you to use ALL your controls. A good read and instructions can be found here, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1968864-1-2-3D-How-to-fly-3Dwith-Michael-Wargo, Michael has some great Youtube videos and really breaks down 3D maneuvers.