Hey Everyone! Im here to learn and contribute :) building a micro flying wing for use in Canada amid some restrictive regulations.

Plaid Bandit

Hi I am ricky and Im from Canada. I have been watching flite test for years. I want to come up with great new ideas and share. I am a motorcycle technician and a construction contractor. Im working on a silly little FPV flying wing and would love to share and also make some sweet plans. GLAD TO BE HERE!!!!

Mode 1

Looks like you can cross off "find great RC community to join" from your new year's resolutions.

Welcome. Glad you're here!

Plaid Bandit

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• solder.jpg
    solder.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

Plaid Bandit

I would like to ask if there is a specific airfoil that works for a flying wing? The wings I am using are literally from a guillows kits haha they need some modification but they should work right? They are flat on the bottom. Seem to have a nice shape. Pictures of the plane coming tonight!!

Plaid Bandit

this build is all about turning a junk racing drone into a plane with some neat features. Only one motor though sorry haha. Its 4s capable though and is a Tmotor 1406-4000kv. The flight stabilization and wing mixing will be done by a DYS F4 flight controller hopefully. I will have to set the CLI up to send a signal to the servos i think. The plane will weigh approximately 160 grams with a battery and the little 1406 produces >500 grams of thrust according to youtube thrust tests. The overall weight of the plane can be reduced with a smaller batter i believe as long as it doesnt make for CG issues.

evranch

Welcome from another Canuck! If you want to buck some of those regulations, it's easy to get your basic amateur radio license and legally fly further with UHF radios and higher power limits. VA5EVR

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would like to ask if there is a specific airfoil that works for a flying wing?
There are specific airfoils for wings, that is airfoils with build in reflex. The build in reflex (up elevator) is the only thing that makes them special. I think just about any airfoil will work, if you add reflex. The FT Versa is a flat bottom wing, you add the reflex by giving a bit of up elevator. The exact amount will depend on where you put the CG.

Plaid Bandit

There are specific airfoils for wings, that is airfoils with build in reflex. The build in reflex (up elevator) is the only thing that makes them special. I think just about any airfoil will work, if you add reflex. The FT Versa is a flat bottom wing, you add the reflex by giving a bit of up elevator. The exact amount will depend on where you put the CG.

Yes that is what I have heard. I have extended the ailerons a touch in all dimesnsions. they are longer and wider than the original warplane wings that i used. As they extend past the rest of the trailing edge they actually need to be lifted a touch at the tips. looks like reflex sort of. Its all just a base to work from the final plane will have foam wings with reflex built in.

Plaid Bandit

Welcome from another Canuck! If you want to buck some of those regulations, it's easy to get your basic amateur radio license and legally fly further with UHF radios and higher power limits. VA5EVR

EHHHHHHH! WHATS UP THEIR BUD!! haha I will be looking into it. Just want something for people who have a radio and some junk parts to fly. Thank you for the info on the licensing i will be looking into it for sure!!!! :D

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Based on what I see above, Welcome to the forums. This place has been nothing but encouraging. I hope you find the same.

Please, fill us in on what your aims and restriction are.

I found a thread you might want to review on a 800mm KFM foiled micro wing.
using a shrunken version I built a 445mm little wing using a 3" quad motor/prop setup on a 12A 2/3S power system (similar to what you've mentioned above).

I just demolished the wing into a football bench and tore it to pieces. When I rebuild (soon) I will be putting a thread together for it. I would love to see what you do, so -"watched".

Plaid Bandit

Based on what I see above, Welcome to the forums. This place has been nothing but encouraging. I hope you find the same.

Please, fill us in on what your aims and restriction are.

I found a thread you might want to review on a 800mm KFM foiled micro wing.
using a shrunken version I built a 445mm little wing using a 3" quad motor/prop setup on a 12A 2/3S power system (similar to what you've mentioned above).

I just demolished the wing into a football bench and tore it to pieces. When I rebuild (soon) I will be putting a thread together for it. I would love to see what you do, so -"watched".

Its funny you should mention football i demolished the quad that I gutted on a goal post. Haha. Thanks very much for the encouragement! Basically at the moment UAS or unmanned aerial system is unregulated under 250 grams. They are considered mostly harmless but also under scrutiny i am sure. Transport Canada is very nervous about recent advancements in technology as is the norm in most things I suppose.

My aims are to develop a prototype suitable for rigorous testing honestly. I am hoping the final hot wire cut model will be of sufficient quality to sell as a kit on my upcoming store. I am currently Disabled more or less and RC stuff and the excitement really helps my state of mind. I got the idea one night when i was stewing about RC stuff and how i could turn all of my scraps and bits into functional things. I saw my guillows model on the wall and cut the wings off of it. Mounted a tmotor and prop on a makeshift fuselage. Mounted the DYS F4 fc on it and an ESC that hadnt had the capacitors wiped off of it. And fired it up.

All i need now is some micro linear servos to mount in the wings and its just foam and a battery strap left. Among so much more im sure. I will need to alter some aspects of the wings themselves and rebuild them i think. Buts it gave me a good place to start. I will post some pics soon.

Plaid Bandit

PS im very new to plane design but I have been watching for about six years haha. I am not up to snuff with digital design but I am hoping to find some software soon. So direction in that area would be a plus :p:D well direction in general.

Last edited: