Hey everyone.

hey everyone! I need a flight test and I love what they're doing although I'm not new to RC planes. It's been a while and there is so much to learn but I love the foam board platform and with some tweaks and modifications it seems like it has endless possibilities. I have some designs of my own but I don't know where to get them cut. I have asked flight test if they could do custom plans but they said they can't cut anything but their own designs. I have an idea of my own racer that I'd like to do but need some help and some suggestions! But for now I just wanted to say hello.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
hey everyone! I need a flight test and I love what they're doing although I'm not new to RC planes. It's been a while and there is so much to learn but I love the foam board platform and with some tweaks and modifications it seems like it has endless possibilities. I have some designs of my own but I don't know where to get them cut. I have asked flight test if they could do custom plans but they said they can't cut anything but their own designs. I have an idea of my own racer that I'd like to do but need some help and some suggestions! But for now I just wanted to say hello.

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

I just use a utility knife or razor blade to cut out my plans.

well I hate to tell everyone this but you may as well know! I am a homeless veteran living in a shelter in Columbia South Carolina and my funds are very limited right now. I have some custom flat plans but I can't even afford to have them printed out so I could cut them with a razor myself. I'm a design engineer and I love using Cad and 3D modeling but right now I'm out of work and just had back surgery no family etc! I'm not looking for pity but I just want you guys to understand where I am so you understand why I'm having difficulty with my financial situation and I'm trying to do something out of nothing. That's what I mean when I say the only way I get to build anything right now is on paper. I could try to sketch out my plans on a piece of foam board with the straight edge and pencil after all I did teach mechanical drawing in high school for 6 years second-year students were AutoCAD students. I really love this for him and I hope you guys will help me out as I've done a lot of research in the past five or six months looking for the best prices so I can build my planes on paper. And thanks for the warm welcome.

MiniacRC

Welcome to the forums! First of all, thank you for your service :)
I don't have a perfect answer to your question, but I started designing planes a couple years back and luckily have provisional access to a lasercutter at college. However, I do design and prototype some planes by printing and handcutting out of foamboard, and its not bad at all.

I am sure there are many folks on this forum and the "FliteTest Fans" facebook page that can help you out in several ways. If you post your exact location and ask for help in printing plans/needlecutting or lasercutting patterns, buying foamboard and craft knives etc, I'm sure there are other FT fans in your area who will chime in, we're a global community! I highly encourage you to post your location, maybe a picture of your design idea, and other info as to how people can specifically help, here and in the FT facebook page. The facebook group is how I found an awesome friend in my city who's helped me grow in the hobby in many ways. Best of luck to you sir, please keep us posted!

Welcome to the forums! First of all, thank you for your service :)
I don't have a perfect answer to your question, but I started designing planes a couple years back and luckily have provisional access to a lasercutter at college. However, I do design and prototype some planes by printing and handcutting out of foamboard, and its not bad at all.

I am sure there are many folks on this forum and the "FliteTest Fans" facebook page that can help you out in several ways. If you post your exact location and ask for help in printing plans/needlecutting or lasercutting patterns, buying foamboard and craft knives etc, I'm sure there are other FT fans in your area who will chime in, we're a global community! I highly encourage you to post your location, maybe a picture of your design idea, and other info as to how people can specifically help, here and in the FT facebook page. The facebook group is how I found an awesome friend in my city who's helped me grow in the hobby in many ways. Best of luck to you sir, please keep us posted!

Thank you very much. I'll add to my profile. I'm in Columbia, SC. And I need everything. One plan I found online is a racer that resembles the EFX by Durafly. one Design I have of my own is still in the sketch form is a gullwing design racer. A retro F4U Corsair if you will. I would like for it to have a contra rotating prop or possibly 1 motor in each valley of the wing. Since I was a jet engine mechanic in the Air Force I have always loved fast airplanes.

MiniacRC

That sounds amazing! I'll make sure to follow your journey and I wish you the best! :)
A gullwing racer sounds SO cool.