Hey I want to build a small foam b-36 any plans/ ideas / advice

Sheriff

Hmm.. 6 engines? that sounds expansive. Unless you use 2 bigger engines and put 4 free-spinning props.

Also, maybe start from a 'paper model' like the one for sell on Fiddlersgreen. Use a combination of cardboard and foamboards, removing the paper on one side to create smooth curves.
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Convair-B36.html
That paper model is already pretty big. You could simply print the plans at 200% size.

That's a technic I never used but always wonder if it would work, given the tons of paper models on the web just waiting to be converted to RC.

What do you think?
au revoir
Guillaume

iflyplanes3333

Thank you I looked at that and think it will help with the wing shape
I will be using b-29er's nose for his massive b-36 I scaled it down and 3d printed it

kilroy07

Legendary member
I use MicroStation, can you use a DGN or do you need a DWG/DXF?
I also have a nice 3D view JPG (attached)
XzslZZx.jpg

Antioch

Also if you need any detailed info I recommend the PIMA air & space museum, (Tucson) who have to be one of the few places that have one of these sitting on there grounds. Also great people there.

b-29er

Hmm.. 6 engines? that sounds expansive. Unless you use 2 bigger engines and put 4 free-spinning props.

Also, maybe start from a 'paper model' like the one for sell on Fiddlersgreen. Use a combination of cardboard and foamboards, removing the paper on one side to create smooth curves.
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Convair-B36.html
That paper model is already pretty big. You could simply print the plans at 200% size.

That's a technic I never used but always wonder if it would work, given the tons of paper models on the web just waiting to be converted to RC.

What do you think?
au revoir
Guillaume
Expensive is relative to your patience. The motors for my b-36 have been around $20ea, i just picked a good time to buy (5065 brushless motors wound up being like 12ea due to a flat spin sale at RMRC). The props are more expensive than the motors at that price. Depending on how big you wanna go, micro quad stuff is really accessible and really competitive, thus really cheap. Aside from the noise of the swarm of bees, you can do the full Six Turnin, Four Burnin pretty easily.

Hey I want to do my first scratch build I have just finished a FT spitfire and want to start a b-36 at a four-ish foot wing span
At four feet, i'd go look for some micro quad gear. like what @FoamyDM is using on the Spruce Gosling. However, at four feet, i'd also probably go with a profile build and keep your weight down. The problem is the b-36 has a pencil fuselage. At 18', the fuselage is a respectable 1' diameter. At 4, its a tad under 3" round. I'd say go bigger. But i'm following it to its illogical conclusion...maybe i'm not the best role model here XD

At any rate,
b36cutaway1.jpg
XzslZZx.jpg

here's a little bit bigger of a drawing. I was given permission by Dag214 to raid his repository of b-36 stuff, including a LOT of pictures and a couple of Pilot Operating Handbooks that give me way more detail than i'd ever know what to do with. That particular drawing comes from a russian magazine, something like Time and Flight. I cant read hardbass, but you're welcome to look at it
Lots of good pictures, but i'd download rather than view on site. seems a touch seedy and cyrillic.

At any rate, if you wanna shoot me a PM with your email address, i'd be happy to get some of Dag's pictures out your way for research, and a POH if i can fit it.

Also, theres a flickr pool of photos you might be interested in.

sorry about bombing your thread with massive pictures, and good luck!

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
All I've done to this point is rough out the size (ironically, it's right at 6' wingspan!) LOL
I was roughing out components (props, wheels etc.) I also planned on using a $10 Walmart glider for the wing so that's the odd wing shape you'll see. I get a lot of stuff from the slow boat, so I have to order at least a month ahead for any project.

Not sure if this will help any, but here you go (promise you'll share.) ;)

P.S. I plan on running six 2205... should be nearly vertical performance at 3/4 throttle!! (supersonic peacemaker anyone?!!) :ROFLMAO:
(I don't think I am going to bother with the jets.)

Attachments

• B-36.dxf
    218.7 KB · Views: 0