Hey! I'm new... Building the Simple Cub... Got some Problems...

RavinduShashika

I'm building the simple cub now. I've got in to the main wing and need to fold that wing. I tested it with scrap sheets... but every time it breaks. What should I do?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Without more information and images, I would say decrease the angle of the bevel, where the wing folds over. That would mean less stress on the paper. If you're at say 60 degrees, cut it to 45. If you're at 45 degrees, shave some off and cut it to 30.

You don't want to cut too much foam off, or there will be nothing but paper on your leading edge. Find the angle that lets the foam meet with the paper just sort of forming a hinge.

I'm a "Well-known member" who hasn't flown yet. But I had to figure that out as well.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm building the simple cub now. I've got in to the main wing and need to fold that wing. I tested it with scrap sheets... but every time it breaks. What should I do?
Ensure that the bevel cuts are done properly and apply clear packing tape to the uncut side of the wing where the hinges or folds are to occur.

Rub the tape into the tape to improve adhesion.

Apply pressure to fold the wing at the fold line rather than at the wing TE.

A pic may help!

have fun!

Last edited:

RavinduShashika

I want to fold from these places. How to do that? I fear it would break if I put more pressure on it. In the flightTest tutorial video it seems wing folds very easily from that place.

Attachments

• 20181222_134206.jpg
    20181222_134206.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181222_134206.jpg
    20181222_134206.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I want to fold from these places. How to do that? I fear it would break if I put more pressure on it. In the flightTest tutorial video it seems wing folds very easily from that place.
That part is the easiest!

Run the blunt end of a BBQ skewer the full length of the cut to crush the foam underneath and then apply gentle bending force from the edges to the sheet whilst pushing down lightly upon the fold line. After a while it will seem quite logical!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You are folding from the wrong end. That wing is scrap. You've got cutouts where they shouldn't be. Reboot. Start over. I made the same kind of mistake with my TT wing. It sucks.

I'm editing. I said the above so matter-of-fact. "It's all wrong, you've gotta rebuild." That's true, but I need to add don't let it get you down. Like I said, I made the same kind of mistake with my first build. You recognized you had a build issue and you were smart enough to ask about it on this forum. You are already well on your way to flying that plane. Keep at it. Ask questions. We are here with you.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You are folding from the wrong end. That wing is scrap. You've got cutouts where they shouldn't be. Reboot. Start over. I made the same kind of mistake with my TT wing. It sucks.
???????????????

He is asking about the creases in the wing which form the profile rather than a full bend.

From what I could see in the photos the wing still looks OK!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
???????????????

He is asking about the creases in the wing which form the profile rather than a full bend.

From what I could see in the photos the wing still looks OK!

Have fun!
It's upside down. And there are no channels cut anywhere on that wing.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What @buzzbomb is trying to explain is that you have cut and cleared 2 channels in the wing bottom panel. Those channels should NOT exist. Before you proceed I would recommend that you use some scrap FB and glue to fill the unwanted channels.

The shorter wing panel MUST remain rigid for the wing folding to work properly for you!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What @buzzbomb is trying to explain is that you have cut and cleared 2 channels in the wing bottom panel. Those channels should NOT exist. Before you proceed I would recommend that you use some scrap FB and glue to fill the unwanted channels.

The shorter wing panel MUST remain rigid for the wing folding to work properly for you!

Have fun!
I was thinking of having a go at that when I screwed up my TT wing. I was all "Oh, I'm gonna make it fly!" Then, taking some sage advice, I decided no. Why introduce more problems to a true maiden. I decided to rebuild the wing, and I'm currently working on it, very slowly and taking pics and asking advice all the way.

Hai-Lee? It was upside down, you metal head! I'd head-butt you, but it would hurt me more than it would you. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
He hasn't cut any channels that I can see. Are you sure you're not misinterpreting the spar, which is edge-ways on.
I thank you for the correction, You are correct! (That is what I get for not zooming in to have a closer examination).

@RavinduShashika your lower wing panel is fine with the spars as fitted, (thanks d8veh), do you have enough info to complete the wing folds?

If not just let us know!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm lost. I'm seeing four channels cut in the pics. I watched the vid. There were no channels. What am I missing?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm lost. I'm seeing four channels cut in the pics. I watched the vid. There were no channels. What am I missing?
What you can see are the top edges of the wing spars that he has already glued in place.
The Simple cub has 2 parallel spars, plus a wing rear underside piece to seal the wing.
In the approx middle of the wing is the dual bevel which makes the Wing LE when folded!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh, shoot! Vertical down, they looked like cut outs! Wow. That's food for thought. D8veh, well done, man! Hai-Lee, thank you. Not only have we hopefully helped the OP, you two have taught me to look at a pic, taken from a certain angle and recognize what it is from a different angle. Not really, not mastered, but I've learned from my mistake. I hope.

For the OP? He had all that, and the paper still broke on his tests. Suggestions for him?