Hey, I'm new here

delli1221

Hello people of Flitetest! I've been following the community and the FT youtube channel for a couple of years from the sidelines. I finally made the decision to take part in this awesome hobby and built a mini scout from scratch in the fall. That taught me a lot, pretty quickly I might add, and made me decide to purchase a Tiny Trainer speed build kit and swap my electronics over to a more stable and forgiving platform.

The mini scout is still airworthy, however I wanted to give myself something that would progress my skills and keep me excited to get back to the field and fly. I'm happy to say that the Tiny Trainer is just that. Its really something when a you maiden a plane that you built and it it flies right out of your hand.

I love the building part just as much as the flying part of this hobby. So you'll probably find me mostly kicking around the workbench forums. I'm also very keen on anything glider related and I actually taught myself to fly RC planes with a UMX whipit. Since i learned to catch the whipit, I really enjoy setting up an approach with the Tiny Trainer and catching it when I bring it in to... hand?

Talk to you all soon I hope!

Daniel

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the hobby and the forums. That's awesome you taught yourself on the Mini Scout, so did I. The Tiny Trainer after two build attempts was one that I couldn't get to fly so you are one up on me already. Do you have any pics or vids of these birds to share with the class? We all are at some point building or flying so there will be lots of correspondence in either direction. I am in the middle of a build now with a combat plane, something simple to build, fly, crash, and repeat

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Welcome!

I’m with @BATTLEAXE , pictures and videos especially mean so much when posting. Questions will be answered much quicker and your points overall will come across much clearer. In terms of builds, most know me here for my many builds, Ive built 14 planes in the last month (all build vids on my YT channel) so if you have ideas or questions, don’t hesitate to reach out. Everyone is very friendly here, and willing to help you along the way!

Captain Jay

Elite member
Hello people of Flitetest! I've been following the community and the FT youtube channel for a couple of years from the sidelines. I finally made the decision to take part in this awesome hobby and built a mini scout from scratch in the fall. That taught me a lot, pretty quickly I might add, and made me decide to purchase a Tiny Trainer speed build kit and swap my electronics over to a more stable and forgiving platform.

The mini scout is still airworthy, however I wanted to give myself something that would progress my skills and keep me excited to get back to the field and fly. I'm happy to say that the Tiny Trainer is just that. Its really something when a you maiden a plane that you built and it it flies right out of your hand.

I love the building part just as much as the flying part of this hobby. So you'll probably find me mostly kicking around the workbench forums. I'm also very keen on anything glider related and I actually taught myself to fly RC planes with a UMX whipit. Since i learned to catch the whipit, I really enjoy setting up an approach with the Tiny Trainer and catching it when I bring it in to... hand?

Daniel
Welcome to the forum. Building is awesome and the flying is the pay off for me...
Better watch them finger on the props. You'll only miss once and rethink catching planes..
Hahahahaha

Last edited:

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Welcome to the forum. Building is awesome and the flying is the pay off for me...
Better watch them finger on the props. You'll only miss nice and rethink catching planes..
Hahahahaha

Yes! I’ve gotten scarred. be careful! I have made it a point to only catch pushers!

delli1221

Thanks for the welcome! @BATTLEAXE, @CustomRCMods, @Captain Jay

Lets see if i can get some pictures up here. I don't have any videos unfortunately. So after building the TT I found it to be too nose heavy so I moved the servos to the tail. They are 5g servos. The first mini scout with skis was V1.0 It suffered from the lack of servo centering due to me using cheap servos. Then there is V2.0 which I lightened up overall and reinforced the belly/made a battery hatch to give it better protection in the case of nosing into the ground.

I experimented with original gorilla glue on both the scouts and also tried making a new skin by removing the DTFB paper, applying a water based polyU to the sheet of foam and one side of some raw newsprint. Let it dry just until its tacky and then ironed it on then repeat on the other side. Seemed to work well but i'm not sure what the before and after weight was. it also peels away almost as easy as stock DTFB. The TT was built traditional style with hot glue.

IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.jpg

Captian Jay said:
Better watch them finger on the props. You'll only miss once and rethink catching planes..
Hahahahaha
Haha yes that's very good advice. I should have mentioned that since its the TT with poly wings, I float it in dead stick. Maybe i should also start disarming the motor. Better safe than sorry. Actually looking back now, its kind of funny because if you watch the TT build video, Josh catches the polywing after he test flies it. However I just hope that some day I can fly half as good as that guy can!

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Thanks for the welcome! @BATTLEAXE, @CustomRCMods, @Captain Jay

Lets see if i can get some pictures up here. I don't have any videos unfortunately. So after building the TT I found it to be too nose heavy so I moved the servos to the tail. They are 5g servos. The first mini scout with skis was V1.0 It suffered from the lack of servo centering due to me using cheap servos. Then there is V2.0 which I lightened up overall and reinforced the belly/made a battery hatch to give it better protection in the case of nosing into the ground.

I experimented with original gorilla glue on both the scouts and also tried making a new skin by removing the DTFB paper, applying a water based polyU to the sheet of foam and one side of some raw newsprint. Let it dry just until its tacky and then ironed it on then repeat on the other side. Seemed to work well but i'm not sure what the before and after weight was. it also peels away almost as easy as stock DTFB. The TT was built traditional style with hot glue.

View attachment 164875 View attachment 164876 View attachment 164877 View attachment 164878 View attachment 164880

Haha yes that's very good advice. I should have mentioned that since its the TT with poly wings, I float it in dead stick. Maybe i should also start disarming the motor. Better safe than sorry. Actually looking back now, its kind of funny because if you watch the TT build video, Josh catches the polywing after he test flies it. However I just hope that some day I can fly half as good as that guy can!
Nice builds! looks like you are beginning to get a good grasp on what the FT Building style is all about!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!

Daniel
welcome. I've never gotten the hang of catching airplanes on approach, and in the process I've broken quite a few plane parts :D

delli1221

Ryan O. said:
welcome. I've never gotten the hang of catching airplanes on approach, and in the process I've broken quite )a few plane parts
It really helped having a lot of practice with the little whipit first. That thing is so fragile you really didn't want it to touch the ground if you could help it. I also find its pretty good practice for your muscle memory. Thanks for the welcome.

CustomRCMods said:
Nice builds! looks like you are beginning to get a good grasp on what the FT Building style is all about!
Thanks! I think i'm hooked ;)

shadeyB said:
you will fly as good as he does pilot it’s just he’s had a head start on you lol
True, thanks for the kind encouragement and welcome.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
It really helped having a lot of practice with the little whipit first. That thing is so fragile you really didn't want it to touch the ground if you could help it. I also find its pretty good practice for your muscle memory. Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks! I think i'm hooked ;)

True, thanks for the kind encouragement and welcome.
It didn't help that I was trying to catch a wing larger than the versa which was very hot on approach. I was going to buy a Whipit for myself, but now it is discontinued :cry: Probably a good thing if it was fragile, I'd break it by getting it run over by a larger plane in the car :)

Wackman157

Nice planes the one I built (P-51 Mustang) doesn’t look to hot anymore but this was when I first made it.

Attachments

• 344F998B-7A10-4407-AF10-B6C00D7DD3B3.jpeg
    344F998B-7A10-4407-AF10-B6C00D7DD3B3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 48B2504B-F000-425E-BF09-26B348504C62.jpeg
    48B2504B-F000-425E-BF09-26B348504C62.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0