Hey josh scott to scratch build a plane

eagle4

Hey Guys,
Firstly love the show, I love how you present the hobby in a fun way. keep it up.

I'm looking at getting into scratch building planes and I am keen to make the ones you guys have made.

One thought I had would be to get Josh Scott to actually build one of the planes, Josh Bixler is a good instructor, but its also clear he's done all this stuff before, I'd like to see Bixler explaining to Scott how to make a plane. This way we can see the common pitfalls a new scratch builder might run into and how to get around it.

Anyway, just an idea

MrClean

it's a good point. Maybe have Josh design and build a twin, foamboard fpv platform. He can learn weight and balance, power, setting up twin engines, load expectations and wing structural failure limits all the way through. There are 4 seasons of learning pieces, lets see him put it together and Bix can help out when we hit a wall. Nice thing about making a foamboard fuse too long is it doesn't take much to cut it down. Too short? Doesn't cost much to replace. And don't any one point out that the Experimental Airlines guy already has a Armin wing twin FPV platform.

earthsciteach

Designing a scratch build is a pretty big step for someone who may not have the desire to do so. However, having an episode where jS builds one of the swappable series as a newbie may shed light on pitfalls we may all step in.

MrClean

I admit, it's not the way it should be done but it's the way many DO start. Having someone to show the pitfalls but show that it is not an insurmountable task. But I would also admit that this is a project I thought of where his project should be something he wants to do. Foamboard is a very forgiving and easy to work with material. You only need to practice several skills before you start putting them together. Add together having a huge knowledge base onsite makes it possible.

I've probably gone 'This Old House' on it. Started off showing folks how to swap their toilets. Now won't touch a place that doesn't have a guest house, boat dock and honest to goodness concrete pond.

eagle4

Maybe have Josh design and build a twin, foamboard fpv platform. He can learn weight and balance, power, setting up twin engines, load expectations and wing structural failure limits all the way through.

I think to start off with, it might be good to get Bixler or Chad to design a nice beginner/intermediate plane (maybe 4 channel?) and then get Scott to build it.

Fishbonez

I think to start off with, it might be good to get Bixler or Chad to design a nice beginner/intermediate plane (maybe 4 channel?) and then get Scott to build it.
Great point, I think scratchbuilding in its true form, no plans just what you got in your head, is a huge challenge for any beginner and innermwediate. The whole "teach someone to fish" kinda thing

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If he were to do it, it should be done as many of us have done it before - the only resources you have are what you buy and what you find on the internet. No Josh B for backup, nobody directing him on how to do it. Just go online, find a plane he wants to build, order the supplies, and see what happens.

o0Jack0o

I love the idea, I would say get someone off the street with NO zero knowledge and zero tools and help them understand everything from the ground up. Their are so many pitfalls to over come in just getting started. Why are some tools better than others, what is the absolutely minimum getting started. If you mess up and get junk tools and only have a twelve inch ruler no matter how hard you try your not going to get good results! :) Not to mention noobs see everything from the outside and have no idea why your doing what your doing so they would have lots of good questions. (good as in bringing attention to what experienced pilots take for granted and is often over looked)

waldorf069

+1 for getting josh scott to build a foamboard plane, one designed by chad and josh bixler. Perhaps the next one in the swappable series