HEY, motor buying issues, tiny trainer

luke1350a

Recently I bought the tiny trainer kit, however the screws I used were too long and shorted it out. on the container it came with said it was ccw thread but the individual motor on the website is cw, no ccw option, what do I do?
thanks

Arcfyre

Elite member
You can use a CW motor and just use a dab of loctite blue thread locker to keep the nut from spinning itself off.

Reactions: FDS

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Using too long of a screw should not short the motor, (a short is an electrical connection where there should not be one) but they would bind it and cause it to fail. Unless you really cranked them in. In that case, I just don't know.

The threads for all the screws are CW.

FDS

Elite member
The “direction” refers to the preferred motor rotation, and is there to show both the prop selection and the thread on the prop nut. The mounting screw threads are always clockwise, if you use too long screws you stall the motor, which usually smokes the ESC if you try to run it that way.
Always gently spin the motor by hand when you build the power pod to be sure it’s not caught on a screw.
So a “CW” motor would have a CCW prop nut, a “CCW” motor would have a CW prop nut. This is done so the prop nut is not undone by centrifugal force when it’s turning fast, instead it’s counter threaded so it stays tight under load.
You can run brushless motors in any direction, BUT the props supplied in the power pack are usually designed to run CCW, so if you run a CW motor “reversed” it will work with the prop, but you have to make sure the prop nut is locked. Use BLUE loctite if you use thread lock. If you run a CW motor “right way” with a CCW prop, you WON’T get the thrust required to fly, it will be like trying to drive forwards with the wheels spinning backward!
I would start by checking the ESC and motor separately. If you need to buy another motor, contact FT store Customer Service, it’s their job to take that kind of query.
I run all my minis on this motor from a HobbyKing,
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/secret-motor-1808-2400kv-ccw-0-1-laminations.html
With a 6x4 prop on 2s it’s plenty fast enough and on 3s it is powerful enough to put the TT fully vertical on 60% throttle.

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Using too long of a screw should not short the motor, (a short is an electrical connection where there should not be one) but they would bind it and cause it to fail. Unless you really cranked them in. In that case, I just don't know.

The threads for all the screws are CW.
The screws don’t ‘bind’ the motor, they can easily cut the fragile copper wire coils and cause the motor to stutter on startup and depending on how many wires are cut it may stop working all together.

The cw motors can be run ccw, just tighten the nylon locking nuts down (if it doesn’t come with nylock nuts just use a tiny dab of blue loctite).

Kendalf

I run all my minis on this motor from a HobbyKing,
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/secret-motor-1808-2400kv-ccw-0-1-laminations.html
With a 6x4 prop on 2s it’s plenty fast enough and on 3s it is powerful enough to put the TT fully vertical on 60% throttle.
I've been looking at alternative motors for some minis that we're building, so thanks for the recommendation! The specs on that motor state 3s, but I'm glad to hear that they run fine on 2s batteries as that is what I'm planning to use.

P-loco85

Here it is flying on that motor, with a little 500mah 2s. Flight time is 6 mins average, most of this flight is under 75% throttle.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-“foamasaurus-wreck”.56224/page-3#post-451067

Hey FDS

what motor setup did you do?
i saw your vid nice work
I also have 2s batteries I want to use on my TT

Im purchasing 1806 2280kv motors from banggood.

if you could help out please let me know. seem alot of ppl use 3s but I want to use my 2s because thats all i have lol
i really need to put an order in.

Kendalf

Im purchasing 1806 2280kv motors from banggood.

if you could help out please let me know. seem alot of ppl use 3s but I want to use my 2s because thats all i have lol
i really need to put an order in.
The 1806 2280kV motor is what's in the FT Power Pack A and it works great with the Tiny Trainer. 2s will be just fine esp. if you're looking for slower flying when starting out. I've been running 2S 800 or 850 mAh batteries with the 1806 motor on my Tiny Trainers and Mini Scout and it's plenty fast enough for a newer flyer like myself. As FDS says a 6x4 prop is plenty fast. I've been using 6x3 prop for slightly slower speeds.

Just noticed that HobbyKing calls this the "secret motor" in the product URL. :cool:

P-loco85

@Kendalf
Thanks

I'm putting an order in for 6030 props and the 1806 motors.

seems now I have a use for my 2s batteries ... Mini's!!! well after I master the tiny trainer lol babysteps

I'll have it setup in a few weeks to show you guys.

P-loco85

also @Kendalf could I use 5045 props with the 2s setup?

or would 6030 be better?

I just realized I have some.

when would it be appropriate to use 5045 props?

mayan

Legendary member
First it’s a good habit to check the motor recommendations as it’s a matter of thrust vs weight. For the MT1806 2280kv if you keep the all up weight which includes all the electronics including the battery than it could work.

21CCD6E2-4AA5-4FD0-AD99-1A39C1008E48.png

mayan

Legendary member
Yes. Although a bit up +- 20-50g might still work.
Think of it this way the closer or lower you get to the thrust (g) weight based on the battery cells (2/3/4 ....) and prop the less energy will be needed to make the plane fly. But if you go too light that's not good at all as it might create control issues.

I don't know how many props you have and if this is would even work but you might be able to corss 2 props and create one 4 blade prop. CAUTION: That might though draw to much amps and burn your ESC and damage the motor.