Hey ya'll

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I guess I should have started in here. New to the r/c planes but been playing with 3 channel choppers for a bit. Getting used to the controls is no big deal but how would you guys reccomend I get over the fear of going the one or two mistake high? I'm sure some of you have seen my post with the videos from my third and fourth flight. Most of my open areas are nowhere near Josh's open space so I'm afraid ill get two high and loose it in the not clear area. That and I think not being to be really able to see everything going on with the plane. My first flight ended with a blown out nose. 30 min with the hot glue and its back together and flying. So besides the confidence thing any other suggestions? Also I found out the hard way about the place I ordered it from.
So needless to say I'll be upgrading my next one with stuff from the site sponsors. One more question....... Should I just fly this plane till my son and I have more hot glue then foam or since I can fly more often should I start building a foamy like the F-22 and work on that?

dang that was a lot......

zev

lumpy member
dunno man… I am super new to this as well, but maybe try flying mini planes so 2 mistakes high is only like 40ft. I have heard good things about the mini swift.

asitterlee

Try a simulator. It gives you a bit more confidence going a bit higher.
It helps alot, and you can fly when it's bad outside.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I don't think a simulator will help much. I just need to get over the issues and suck it up. I honestly think its a fear of loosing control and crashing from that high up.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I agree with BFC. I was having massive orientation problems, so I downloaded a free flightsim, and took a break from real flying for a while, and it really improved my skills. When I came back, I had much fewer problems, and my inputs were smoother.
give it a shot, You might be surprised.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I agree with BFC. I was having massive orientation problems, so I downloaded a free flightsim, and took a break from real flying for a while, and it really improved my skills. When I came back, I had much fewer problems, and my inputs were smoother.
give it a shot, You might be surprised.
I have no problem figuring out what way the plane needs to go its the distance thing. The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with wanting to see what is going on. I'm a geek when it comes understanding how things work and watching it work. Watching flaps move or elevator go up and down is just cool to me. That's why I'm thinking these foam builds are perfect for me since I can keep them low and watch what happens when I move a stick.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
If that's the case, then build a swappable, then wait for a day with light winds, maybe 5 MPH constant, no gusts, and fly it right out in front of you it does help for new planes and pilots.
I just remaidened a Brushed Stryker A that someone gave me, and I flew it in some nasty winds that let me keep it right at my level to watch the controls.