Hey YOU! New girl or new guy, shut up and listen (or: My Simple scout build thread)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nice. That size Scout is less finicky and more stable, gentle, and reliable than the mini. It's a solid choice and absolutely as good a RET trainer as any. You technically could put ailerons on it, but if you haven't done that already from the very beginning, I'd say leave it RET, train on it that way, and then get a dedicated AET plane that doesn't have under camber or strong dihedral(if any at all).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'll do that. By gear I meant I'll end up adding ailerons. I'm not frightened to make the upgrade, but obviously I need a little more flight time just to get the basics. 👍
The Simple Scout is the plane that really taught me to fly with ailerons. It's such a smooth, predictable flier that the transition was relatively painless. Full disclosure, though: That plane took a LOT of hard knocks and required much glue and popsicle sticks. ;)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Simple Scout is the plane that really taught me to fly with ailerons. It's such a smooth, predictable flier that the transition was relatively painless. Full disclosure, though: That plane took a LOT of hard knocks and required much glue and popsicle sticks. ;)
The simple scout was other my first real 4 channel experience as well, and it’s a wonderful trainer!

hiroshiman

@Vimana89 Hey mate. Yeah I will definitely make the transition when I feel a little more comfortable with the basics, that was my first fly ever ;) so there is a few things I need to learn. I need a cable to try simulators as well, I'm sure it's a lot of fun. Awwwh the mighty DR1 :love:, I should receive my HobbyKing order on Thursday, and it will soon fly.

And everyone says I should go higher, and now that I re watch the vids I can see how low I am. My first opinion was "Don't go to high", which is exactly what my father says while I fly :p and I'm like : "I'm trying not to!", and of course I could get a second chance if I make a bad turn and I'm higher. This advice has been noted. Next time I will start by triming the plane. I wanted to when I flew but I was so surprised the plane was in the air, and so stressed out that the only thing in my mind was not to crash it. And by the way I said earlier that I loved Flitetest concept, and honestly I am very very surprise that I could simply duct tape the plane and get it in the air again. It makes so much sense now to watch the flitetest derby where everyone destroys their planes. You built it? You can fix it! This is such a relief actually. I promised my nephew I would build the plane and fly it with him but I was very afraid of destroying it right away (reason why I didn't take him saturday), now it's not a problem anymore, one mental block gone.

@FDS I would be thankful if you could share your settings for the Orange transmitter, thanks. And I kinda remember reading about logs of your flights from transmitter. Can I somehow get the logs of my last flights? Not home right now but I will play with the transmitter a bit, I guess it's something you have to setup before flying.
I compiled the flight times and reached 4m30, so you're advice for a 5 minutes timer was spot on. I ended up with 3.88 approximately on each cells so I guess I can try and put the timer to 7 minutes next time, and will try to fly it in one row. Your advice about the trimming sequence has been noted too.

One note about fixing it, I will cut nice square pieces where it broke to a have a nice surface to glue to, and maybe add a little behind/inside overlapping reinforcement to have even more gluing surface, that should do the trick.

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words, it's such a nice community, good vibes around here.
You all take care, cheers :whistle:

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
The Orange TX has no data logging. The only thing I have that does that is the black box recorder on my Quad, which is part of the flight controller.
Glad the timer worked out, it’s the easiest way to keep the battery healthy.
Looking forward to seeing your next flying adventure!

FDS

Elite member
Yep, it’s always better to have the option of going around vs crashing on landing because you didn’t have enough juice for another circuit. So many RC crashes seem to happen because people persist in an approach that’s already in trouble.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I usually fly till about 3.75 - 3.8. I fly hard but I seem to get really good flight time out of my zippy 1500 3s batteries. I can fly my ft-3D hard for 8 min. and come in at 3.8 volts per cell. That’s with a lot of full throttle. Going easy on the throttle I get 13 min. at about the same voltage