Hey YOU! Post here!

Geronimo

Hi everyone!

I'm far from new at this hobby. My dad started in RC back in the 1960's while my brothers and I flew U-Control planes. I've had (and still have) a lot of gas powered planes, but around 1997 I took a hiatus from RC to focus on work. Now I'm transitioning into retirement and I'm looking at getting back into it. I'm thinking of starting with an FT Corsair or Spitfire. I've been reading a lot about the electronics, batteries and the new radios (which sound super awesome!). Those older radios could be a real problem.

See you all around :cool:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums! I get what you mean about the old radios. My grandfather was into it in the 1960s and he had to save up for 5 months even though he was a relatively well-paid electrician to buy one of the first Kraft proportional systems. Was still a huge step up from reeds and escapements though!

Geronimo

Welcome to the forums! I get what you mean about the old radios. My grandfather was into it in the 1960s and he had to save up for 5 months even though he was a relatively well-paid electrician to buy one of the first Kraft proportional systems. Was still a huge step up from reeds and escapements though!

Thank you!

And yes, Kraft was the brand my dad used as well. He was a pilot with Western Airlines, and my mom had a fit when he bought it (it probably cost more than our car). It looked just like these

http://www.radiocontrolhalloffame.org/Exhibits/Exhibit36/index.html

I couldn't find a price on one. I remember he lost many planes to interference though. That, and battery failure. His favorite plane was a Sr Falcon with a Super Tiger .56 for power. When my dad would bring his plane home in tact, my mom would say things like "I thought you went flying".

Geronimo

Here's an ad, with a price of $500. That's about $4,000 in today's dollars.

1582545914451.png

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking of starting with an FT Corsair or Spitfire.
Welcome to the forums.
I'm not sure I would start with the corsair or the spitfire, those would be a better choice for your 2nd plane. In my part of the world, we have a long cold winter. Just being off the sticks for a few months is enough for everyone to lose the edge. You might want to consider more of a high wing trainer plane to begin with.

Geronimo

Welcome to the forums.
I'm not sure I would start with the corsair or the spitfire, those would be a better choice for your 2nd plane. In my part of the world, we have a long cold winter. Just being off the sticks for a few months is enough for everyone to lose the edge. You might want to consider more of a high wing trainer plane to begin with.
I'm in Minnesota (longer, colder winters)! I appreciate the advice! I plan to spend a significant number of hours on the ClearView simulator. I hope that helps :)