Hey!

rp13452

Hey! I have been wanting to get into this hobby for some time but have been busy. Now i have all of the time in the world thanks to quarantine! I have a few questions.

1) What is the absolute cheapest way to get into the hobby? I am a teenager so personal spending money is a little tight. I want to fly a plane that can teach me that basics but will also last long enough so that I can do intermediate stuff when the time comes.

2) Should I buy a simulator instead? If i do that then would there be any that let me use the controller with a plane as well?

Thanks!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I started with the Tiny Trainer, you can even just get the plans and build it yourself with some basic crafting supplies (hot glue, exacto knife, packing tape), some cheap foam board, a Power Pack A, a radio TX/RX, a battery and charger, and a few other bits.

What I did for my son, which could be done cheaper if you parted out a few of the times as noted:

$

Item

Note

$59.99

Flysky FS-i6X

$29.99

Tiny Trainer Speed Build Kit

I parted it out and cut out from the plans, but I have a 3D printer that I used for the wood bits and already had the BBQ sticks and push rod materials. (if your willing to part it out yourself, you can save some here)

$79.99

Flite Test Power Pack A "Radial Edition"Power Pack A

Again you could probably part this out and save a few $

$14.99

Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C

I would suggest getting 2, but 1 is all you need

$14.99

Balance Charger

I ended up getting a programmable 2 port charger, but this is enough to get started with

-- Total --

$199.95

This doesn't include 'common' crafting materials like a hot glue gun, hot glue, crafting blades, packing tape. You would probably need to plan an extra $20-30 if you don't have any of this.

Simulators definitely solve the 'will crash while learning' situation and many controllers have methods that they can be connected to your computer to be used as the controller for the simulator (a normal game pad won't work as well as the throttle doesn't auto center on a TX and the movement ranges are larger on a transmitter).

Last edited:

JasonK

I did miss, that if your just starting out, your going to want to pick up some extra props. your going to break them from all the crashes while you learn. While the 2 that come with the Power Pack A will get you started, I would suggest having more on hand.

mayan

Legendary member
I did miss, that if your just starting out, your going to want to pick up some extra props. your going to break them from all the crashes while you learn. While the 2 that come with the Power Pack A will get you started, I would suggest having more on hand.
True but other than that you summed it up prefectly.

Innaviation

Welcome to the forums!

@JasonK did a great job of summing up a cheap diy option. If you want a slightly cheaper option you could do a HobbyZone Sport Cub or HobbyZone Champ. There are also some cheaper options with the tiny trainer such as buying cheaper electronics but if your new and don't have a friend to help you through the hobby the Flite Test power pack is definitely the way to go.

mhlau999

I am new here as well, and everyone I have talked to has been super helpful and have great senses of humor. I am by no way saying this is the right way to go @JasonK did an amazing job breaking it down, in fact I am looking at what he put together for myself. lol anyway I bought a hobbyzone champ, it is around $100, it is ready to fly, comes with batteries for the plane, and the controller. it also has a beginner mode to stop crazy stick movements. However I have a warning, it needs to be very calm to fly it, if a butterfly flaps by it throws this plane off. However it is so light weight that unless to hit a fence or a tree you are good to go, it can take a beating. again I am still super new to the FT community and flying. just my 2¢. welcome to the forums.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Many overseas suppliers have better prices. Be prepared for a 3-4 week wait for the parts to arrive. I order extra so I can maintain a supply.

rp13452

I started with the Tiny Trainer, you can even just get the plans and build it yourself with some basic crafting supplies (hot glue, exacto knife, packing tape), some cheap foam board, a Power Pack A, a radio TX/RX, a battery and charger, and a few other bits.

What I did for my son, which could be done cheaper if you parted out a few of the times as noted:

$

Item

Note

$59.99

Flysky FS-i6X

$29.99

Tiny Trainer Speed Build Kit

I parted it out and cut out from the plans, but I have a 3D printer that I used for the wood bits and already had the BBQ sticks and push rod materials. (if your willing to part it out yourself, you can save some here)

$79.99

Flite Test Power Pack A "Radial Edition"Power Pack A

Again you could probably part this out and save a few $

$14.99

Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C

I would suggest getting 2, but 1 is all you need

$22.99

EcoPower "Electron Li32 AC" LiPo Balance Battery Charger

I ended up getting a programmable 2 port charger, but this is enough to get started with

-- Total --

$207.95

This doesn't include 'common' crafting materials like a hot glue gun, hot glue, crafting blades, packing tape. You would probably need to plan an extra $20-30 if you don't have any of this.

Simulators definitely solve the 'will crash while learning' situation and many controllers have methods that they can be connected to your computer to be used as the controller for the simulator (a normal game pad won't work as well as the throttle doesn't auto center on a TX and the movement ranges are larger on a transmitter).
I found a free simulator and a 6 channel transmitter that is 44.99. If I buy the transmitter that I found, will it still work for the tiny trainer?

JasonK

I found a free simulator and a 6 channel transmitter that is 44.99. If I buy the transmitter that I found, will it still work for the tiny trainer?

if it is 6 channel and has an associated receiver, then it should (but without knowing the exact model/receiver, we couldn't tell you 100%)

mayan

Legendary member
If the Tx comes with a receiver than yes it will work on any model. If the receiver is big might be a problem to fit inside.

mayan

Legendary member
Please don't cheap out, you'll thank yourself later. Go with the FlySky FS-i6. It's still decently cheap, but it has many satisfied users, and it's programmable, unlike the Detrum. Welcome to the forums tho!
I second this bought a cheap Tx at starting point and it was just a waste of money. I then got the FlySky i6x as a gift and would never go back, upgrade yes probably at some point but the one I have now is more than enough for what I need.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I bought a Hobby King TX for $30 that was a bulky brick that took 8 batteries with no expo and basically no settings but reverse as my first TX and regretted it. Moved up to a FS-i6 and haven't regretted it; cheap, slimmer profile, takes 4 batteries, super reliable, programmable, with all the settings you'll ever want and need for up to 6ch. It's also pretty straight forward and user friendly after instructions/watching a quick tutorial. I'm inherently bad with these sorts of things but I find it easy and intuitive enough to use.

As far as your plane, I would recommend starting off with the Tiny Trainer. I personally haven't built one, but it has probably the best reputation of all the entry-level FT planes and is the most flexible. looking back, I might have benefitted quicker starting from the ground up with at least ailerons, if not full 4ch.

I learned to fly on RET(rudder, elevator, throttle) planes like the Scout(Hobby Zone Champ mainly and some funky custom deltas), and it worked, but in hindsight I think it would be easier to learn 3ch RET after flying full 4ch or 3ch ailerons than it was the other way around. That said, the right RET plane will work perfectly well for a trainer, and there's a certain simplicity to a RET plane with dihedrals like the Scout. If you go RET, go with the simple Scout over the mini version, having built two minis with not much flying success early on.

The explorer is also a great option, and has a protected prop. I've seen versions of both the Scout and Explorer modded with ailerons, so that's an option too.

whackflyer

Master member
I know you are looking for cheap and more then you may want to spend this is an option as much as I do not care for Open Transmitter it will last you your entire career in RC. You can also keep an eye out on RCgroups classifieds for some great deals. I have purchased 4 transmitters and other stuff from here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3660297-Jumper-T16-Pro-V2-with-Hall-Gimbals-Upgrades
That's a nice transmitter, I love my T16 Pro, but it would be extremely difficult to learn for a noob. I've been in the hobby for 3 years and I still had issues learning OpenTX.