Hi! And questions

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Looks like all the votes are for the scout. :LOL: If you have an experienced pilot to help you, defiantly do a scout, but I still think the old speedster is better if it’s just you doing it. I say this since it fly slower than the scout because of it’s design and also, when you stall, you lose less altitude than be scout.
If it's any consolation, you now have me interested in the old speedster. Too many planes, not enough time... or money... or piloting skills...

AirBone

Hi all!

After literally years of watching FliteTest content and lurking on the forums I’ve decided to actually join and build a plane!

I’m sure these have all been asked many times, but I hope some of you lovely people will ignore that and still give a newbie some advice.

What would be the absolute best plane for a complete beginner to build and fly? I’m leaning towards the simple cub, but I’m pretty open to building anything as a first plane. I think I’ll get a speedbuild kit, just to make things a little easier. My wife is about 80% sure she wants to build her own as well, meaning we can get two different kits and cover more ground.

What did you wish you knew before your first build? I’m sure I’m going to make tons of mistakes, but I’d like to avoid as many as I can.

What’s the deal with registering with the FAA? Do I just fill out the forms on their site, pay them $5, and slap their number on my planes?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forums! We love the Scout and the Tiny Trainer. Both are easy to control and build. Also the Speedster is a great starter plane. The forum is awesome for problems and questions.

mark95171

Ok, I think we’ve settled on getting both a cub and a scout. Both seem simple and easy to build/fly 3 channel with 4 channel upgrades easily doable.

They should both take the same B power pack; would it be fine to buy and build just one and swap it or is that difficult enough to warrant getting two? We’re probably going to start with sharing a radio between us as they are fairly expensive, so only one plane will be in the air at a time.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You could swap them out of sure. I have 4 planes that all run on one motor. As you two get better you will find that it will be fun to fly together, but you can save that for later. Good luck and have fun. Be sure to keep us posted

Flite Risk

-Welcome.

What would be the absolute best plane for a complete beginner to build and fly? I’m leaning towards the simple cub, but I’m pretty open to building anything as a first plane. I think I’ll get a speedbuild kit, just to make things a little easier. My wife is about 80% sure she wants to build her own as well, meaning we can get two different kits and cover more ground.
- Tiny trainer and or Simple soarer

What did you wish you knew before your first build? I’m sure I’m going to make tons of mistakes, but I’d like to avoid as many as I can.
-Be patient, double check. Expect to crash.

What’s the deal with registering with the FAA? Do I just fill out the forms on their site, pay them $5, and slap their number on my planes?
-I'm a bad influence dont listen to me. they are not adding me to a list. Come find me. ( I fly in the middle of nowhere so mehhh)
Thanks!

-Plan on coming to Flite Fest, bring the people you love and planes you don't.

Please accept this formal invitation to the Furey field and join us for Flite Fest 2020 July 16th-19th.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, I think we’ve settled on getting both a cub and a scout. Both seem simple and easy to build/fly 3 channel with 4 channel upgrades easily doable.

They should both take the same B power pack; would it be fine to buy and build just one and swap it or is that difficult enough to warrant getting two? We’re probably going to start with sharing a radio between us as they are fairly expensive, so only one plane will be in the air at a time.
Great choices! One power pod would be easy to swap and keep costs down, however I would recommend getting two receivers so you don't have to rebind the plane every time you fly the other one. As far as transmitters go, I'm actually selling my DX6e so if you're interested, just send me a private message.
Have fun!

daxian

Elite member
@mark95171 ...dont be fooled into thinking any tx/rx has to be expensive...there are a lot of choices out there !!
myself i started with the flysky i6 system ...as did thousands of others ! at last check it was around the £36 mark and included a reciever....and has a very good range ...they also have upgraded it to a 10 channel system for around £40...
which is way more channels than needed for a four channel aircraft !! just my opinion of course ,but putting it out there !!

mark95171

@mark95171 ...dont be fooled into thinking any tx/rx has to be expensive...there are a lot of choices out there !!
myself i started with the flysky i6 system ...as did thousands of others ! at last check it was around the £36 mark and included a reciever....and has a very good range ...they also have upgraded it to a 10 channel system for around £40...
which is way more channels than needed for a four channel aircraft !! just my opinion of course ,but putting it out there !!
Thanks, it looks like I've got a decision to make now, haha.