Help! Hi and some questions on Buying a Radio

hasan2007

Hi guys,

I've got $150 saved up to buy a mini quad radio (Im only just turning 12yrs so that's a lot of money :D ) . I am considering the turnigy evolution/pro and x-lite because i play ps4 sometimes. any other recommendations? i like the t16 but its really heavy! I held a radiolink t8fd before and it felt fine, but i don't think it would be suited for mini quad

hasan2007

Hi guys,

I've got $150 saved up to buy a mini quad radio (Im only just turning 12yrs so that's a lot of money :D ) . I am considering the turnigy evolution/pro and x-lite because i play ps4 sometimes. any other recommendations? i like the t16 but its really heavy! I held a radiolink t8fd before and it felt fine, but i don't think it would be suited for mini quad
oh yeah and then theres the qx7 and x9 lite

man-bot

Weight is not really an issue mate. Just use a neckstrap. It helps a lot with fatigue. You cant go wrong with any of the open tx radios. There is a bit more to learn with them but the basics to set up a quad are simple and myself or many others could talk you thru it. There are many video on how to do it as well. Joshua Bardwell and Painless360 on you tube can solve most any issue you may come across with all the videos they have done over time. And you can always ask here as well.

The Qx7 is the same as an X9d just less switches to use and is a touch wider in your hands.

FDS

Elite member
My son is only a bit older than you, he has small hands. The Jumper T12 plus is an excellent radio, it has everything the QX7 does plus Hall effect gimbals, multi protocol and is crossfire compatible out the box which the QX7 is not.
The only thing it doesn’t have is the colour screen.
Its a fully featured hobby TX, with all the switches etc you will need for quad flying. It comes with a 4 AA battery holder but we put a receiver pack in it straight away.

FDS

Elite member
The Turnigy 9X doesn’t have multi protocol, can’t be upgraded with Hall effect gimbals and has less channels. It also doesn’t come with OpenTX which is what most quad pilots use and the majority of radio set up videos etc show OpenTX.
It has a JR style module bay which should fit the Crossfire module.
You don’t need crossfire to fly quads, you can go out to nearly 1000m with regular 2.4. You are not going to fly that far when learn8ng and beyond line of sight is illegal in many countries.
Since the cheapest Crossfire Lite is $70 ish, if you don’t buy that straight away you can buy a better transmitter first, which will be easier to set up, easier to use and last you longer, then learn to fly, then add crossfire if you want later.
You could then afford the excellent Jumper T16 which has colour screen and more features, plus it can take an internal multi module. If you wanted a smaller sized TX the T12 Pro has the Hall effect gimbals included.

poor boy 101

That or you could save up 10 more $ and get the jumper t-16 pro with Hall effect gimbals and a colored screen. As well it has the same multi protocol as the t-12 and will take crossfire.

Reactions: FDS

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am watching this with interest. I am considering upgrading from my gen 1 dx7 and have looked at a lot of the transmitters mentioned here and often end up looking at the Jumper t16 but then hesitate and wonder if I really need all that radio for just flying a few foam airplanes around a park. It seems like such overkill. But i am drawn to fancy screens and shiny new things too :)