Hi, building my first plane

k0jaa

Hello all, I'm just getting into the hobby and building the Simple Cub from scratch. I've been watching so many Flite Test videos, what a great site!

When I was a kid, my dad had a gas (glow? Not sure) RC helicopter that he built and then crashed on his first try and then repaired and crashed again. I remember the futaba transmitter had a huge antenna, 72MHz I assume. Some day I'd like to repair it again and fly it, but I'm starting with fixed wing.

So far I have cut and glued all the foam board parts and have some of the electronics and others ordered and on the way. I messed up in 1 or 2 places but I think it will be ok. I got a Taranis QX7 for Christmas (I'm 40, and yes I ask for toys for Christmas lol) and I've been playing with sims on my PC getting used to flying and landing.

I have a ham license, another hobby of mine, and I understand that is useful for this hobby as well - for fpv? I haven't looked into all that yet. The FAA stuff changing looks confusing too, lots of questions about that.

I have so many questions about connecting all this stuff up, is it ok if I ask some dumb questions here? Does the receiver get power through the throttle connection to the ESC? On a frsky rx6r all the outputs are just 1-6, does it matter which one is throttle as long as the transmitter is set the same?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Welcome to the forums and this hobby! Not dumb questions - we all have had those at one point in time... ;) Yes, the receiver (rx) gets it's power from the esc. I use spektrum, but I believe with some programming you could assign any of the ports on the receiver to the throttle stick.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Generally CH1 is Throttle, CH2 is Aileron, CH3 is Elevator, and CH4 is Rudder.

Those can all be set/changed in most programmable transmitters but I like to keep things simple if I can.

Welcome to the hobby! Yes, its a good thing to have a ham licence. There is some long range equipment that uses UHF and some of the FPV frequencies are technically ham only. If you are already familiar with the ham world this one should be easy for you to pick up.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the doom and gloom of the FAA ruining the hobby. At this point I don't think they can, its far too late in my opinion, the cat is out of the bag. Sure, they may come up with some terrible rules, but how in gods green earth can they enforce them??? If they can't enforce them no one will comply. If no one complies, how long can they pretend the rules are working? Remember when they came out and said the only allowable commercial operations were through ACTUAL commercial pilots... PFFFTTT.... that lasted about 3 seconds, no one listened. Either way, even their proposed draconian destruction of the hobby isn't for a few more years. In that time you can have an entire squadron! lol

Vimana89

Legendary member
With my FlySky IA6, channel 3 is throttle, 2 is elevator, 1 is ailerons, unless 3ch RET in which case I make rudder channel 1, or elevons(channels 1 and 2 for elevons). Maybe that's not quite the norm?

bracesport

Legendary member
@k0jaa - I am using OTX and still opt for AETR - actually AETRA and now with no motor/prop, I am AE_RA (with '_' being the battery)! Confused I don't blame you (but actually it is all rather simple - you will love OTX!

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
My TGY iA6 receiver is the same as @Vimana89. The ports are numbered 1-6 and number 1 is ailerons, number 2 is elevator, number 3 is throttle, number 4 is rudder, and numbers 5 and 6 are aux channels. If you still have the instructions or packaging you should be able to find the info you're after. Good luck with your build, and btw, there's no such thing as dumb questions here!

FL_Engineer

Elite member
My TGY iA6 receiver is the same as @Vimana89. The ports are numbered 1-6 and number 1 is ailerons, number 2 is elevator, number 3 is throttle, number 4 is rudder, and numbers 5 and 6 are aux channels. If you still have the instructions or packaging you should be able to find the info you're after. Good luck with your build, and btw, there's no such thing as dumb questions here!
Still figuring this stuff out myself but my ia6 receiver is definitely throttle 1, ailerons 2, elevator 3, rudder 4. Just my 2 cents.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The original question was about FrSky.

Even more confusing is that they are different protocols, but both use OpenTX for programming, which can lead to people thinking it's one when it really isn't...

k0jaa

Hey thanks for all the replies - so on the channel order, it looks like it doesn't really matter as long as I set it up right? The general consensus seems to be either TAER or AETR and is probably more important to other brands.

Here's a couple of pics of my build so far - No electronics in it yet and I didn't leave a gap for the landing gear, so I'll need to open that up. I plan on painting it yellow and black as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_175451.jpg
    IMG_20200131_175451.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200131_175445.jpg
    IMG_20200131_175445.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

k0jaa

Got batteries and other parts in the mail, successfully connected motor to esc to battery and rx and got it to bind to my X7!

Bonus thing: I've been reading about how telemetry works on this FrSky RX6R rx and figured I'd have to either buy a s.bus voltage sensor or make a voltage divider to connect to AIN2, BUT when I went to discover sensors, apparently the rx already sends a built-in A2 batt voltage along with a RX batt and rssi telemetry. A2 was showing about 11.1, and RX batt was around 5.1v so I'm assuming that's the BEC voltage. I'm not sure how it can even obtain the A2 battery voltage through that throttle connection to the ESC though? Must be through the signal wire to the ESC?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got batteries and other parts in the mail, successfully connected motor to esc to battery and rx and got it to bind to my X7!

Bonus thing: I've been reading about how telemetry works on this FrSky RX6R rx and figured I'd have to either buy a s.bus voltage sensor or make a voltage divider to connect to AIN2, BUT when I went to discover sensors, apparently the rx already sends a built-in A2 batt voltage along with a RX batt and rssi telemetry. A2 was showing about 11.1, and RX batt was around 5.1v so I'm assuming that's the BEC voltage. I'm not sure how it can even obtain the A2 battery voltage through that throttle connection to the ESC though? Must be through the signal wire to the ESC?
Yea one of the 3 anyway... it's magic :love: