Hi everyone

James_hale2

Hello. I’m James. I live in TN and I’m a retired/disabled veteran (Army). I have been into R/C’s all my life but just recently picked it back up and got my first plane (Simple Cub). Got back into it cause I decided to build my Dad an R/C pontoon boat for his 70th birthday so he can play with it and catch fish while he’s out on his actual pontoon boat. While designing that I realized how much the tech has changed and remembered FliteTest had a lot of informational videos and used those to brush up on my knowledge since the boat side of R/C is very vague and while watching the vids I decided to get myself a toy too. Lol.

Attachments

• A0AACB9F-B5D4-4A07-97B9-8BE384580CE0.jpeg
    A0AACB9F-B5D4-4A07-97B9-8BE384580CE0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 8D6A855F-8496-45C3-B9C3-B0A4064DC42A.jpeg
    8D6A855F-8496-45C3-B9C3-B0A4064DC42A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • A5C9F204-819E-4950-943E-C67993F2B36F.jpeg
    A5C9F204-819E-4950-943E-C67993F2B36F.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FEA7A495-CF48-414C-BF9F-2D844977E8C9.jpeg
    FEA7A495-CF48-414C-BF9F-2D844977E8C9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

K3V0

Elite member
Welcome! What a great looking boat! I thought it was an architectural model before I zoomed in (time for new glasses🤓). Nice looking cub, how does she fly? My 3 year old wants to play with your trucks too!😆

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Welcome to the community :) how are you going to waterproof the ESC? Also, waterproofing the brushless motor isn't necessary, but if you ever fish in estuaries or salt water it is worth it. Great plane BTW

James_hale2

Welcome! What a great looking boat! I thought it was an architectural model before I zoomed in (time for new glasses🤓). Nice looking cub, how does she fly? My 3 year old wants to play with your trucks too!😆
Flew great. Figured out I left a tiny bit too much nose weight but shifted the battery back and leveled right out. Now I just gotta wait for the weather to let me paint em both.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Yeah. I’m actually double waterproofing it. Lol. It’s going in the capt. stand which is waterproof and I’m gonna coat it just in case.
Nice. I don't have the patience for waterproofing so I always fly off of land and use the excuse "I don't want to go swimming for the plane" even though the lake has paddle boats for $5 for 20minutes 😂

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nice. I don't have the patience for waterproofing so I always fly off of land and use the excuse "I don't want to go swimming for the plane" even though the lake has paddle boats for $5 for 20minutes 😂
It’s so much fun - you should try it some time! Just pick up a sea otter or sea angel speed build kit and then no waterproofing required!

James_hale2

It’s so much fun - you should try it some time! Just pick up a sea otter or sea angel speed build kit and then no waterproofing required!
And so much more room. Lol. I plan to put the pontoon kit on my cub and take it out on the boat when it warms up. But I’ll still be waterproofing the electronics on that too first. Just gotta find someone that’s already done it to the power pack B so I know it won’t overheat the ESC.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
And so much more room. Lol. I plan to put the pontoon kit on my cub and take it out on the boat when it warms up. But I’ll still be waterproofing the electronics on that too first. Just gotta find someone that’s already done it to the power pack B so I know it won’t overheat the ESC.
I don’t think it would overheat the esc.

James_hale2

I don’t think it would overheat the esc.
I figured it would be fine to just spray coat it but if I’m gonna run it on the lake I’d like to completely silicone the ESC and receiver and I’m wondering if that will trap in to much heat or if “cooldown” times between battery charges will be sufficient. Also, just an FYI for anyone using that method of waterproofing for anything else electronic, make sure to silicone the ends of all the wires as well because they will wick liquids though the wire to the “waterproof” electronic. Lol. Helped a few people with cars and boats before with that problem. Learned from mineral oil fish tank PCs slowly putting the oil on the tops and floors.