Hi from JHB

charleyza

Hi CharelZa

Have you found any foamboard up in JHB that is light like the dollar tree foamboard the FT team use?

Jowano

Hi fellow Saffas.

There must be more members lurking around. With a forum this big it's easy to go around unnoticed.

I hail from the Cape and use 2mm Correx instead of "foam". I've experimented with isoboard (insulation board) mainly for fuselages. It needs carbon reinforcing which is a little to fancy for me so I've stuck with correx. It's sturdy and easy to work with.

tiaan21

Hi Guys

I'm from East London.

I have only built one FT plane, the FT-Flyer which is my first ever rc-plane. Its maiden was this past weekend, 2 crashes because of my bad conversion to correx, learned a few things from the crash investigation Hehehe. But after repair and re-enforcement, I flew 3 batteries out even in a bit of wind. I built it out of 4mm correx.

Been looking for the same foam that the FT guys are using here in SA, but haven't found it yet.

Anyway, hoping to build a FT-Delta out of correx next. Chat laterz

GregHesslewood

Hey,

I live in Bryanston, Johannesburg.

I have built many FT planes using 5mm foamboard bought from Herbert Evans Art store, it is over double the weight of DTFB but it still works and fly's well. You just have some problems getting the C of G as the tail of the plane is normally very heavy. Also you need to beef up the power.

I have also used 6mm and 3mm Depron bought from rc plane shops like Aerial concepts in woodmead, it is definatly much herder to work with and it is very brittle and breaks/snaps in a crash, but it is lighter than DTFB. Hot glue melts it though, so you need to either use 5 min epoxy or UHU Expanded Polystyrene glue (which actually work really well).

So to end this off, I brought in a box of DTFB from amazon, it is sold internationally as Bazic Foam board, iy worket to about the same price delivered to my door as the Herbert Evans stuff.

Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275EC4Q/?tag=lstir-20

Send me a pm if anyone wants some more info or you just want to chat.

Greg

Mb12

Cue new user! I want to start with the FT Flyer, yet I see a slow start coming if I can't find a suitable material =/

charleyza

Hey,

I live in Bryanston, Johannesburg.

I have built many FT planes using 5mm foamboard bought from Herbert Evans Art store, it is over double the weight of DTFB but it still works and fly's well. You just have some problems getting the C of G as the tail of the plane is normally very heavy. Also you need to beef up the power.

I have also used 6mm and 3mm Depron bought from rc plane shops like Aerial concepts in woodmead, it is definatly much herder to work with and it is very brittle and breaks/snaps in a crash, but it is lighter than DTFB. Hot glue melts it though, so you need to either use 5 min epoxy or UHU Expanded Polystyrene glue (which actually work really well).

So to end this off, I brought in a box of DTFB from amazon, it is sold internationally as Bazic Foam board, iy worket to about the same price delivered to my door as the Herbert Evans stuff.

Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275EC4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Send me a pm if anyone wants some more info or you just want to chat.

Greg

Thanks for the link my mate - how did you find this 'BAZIC 20" X 30" White Foam Board' in terms of weight and being able to use it to build FT planes?

ArtPur

Hi all

Was lonely in the Limpopo place so I want to say hi here :)

Also looking for Depron. Got some at Aerial concepts recently. Looking at Alibaba (Chinese) to see if I can get some.

This stuff is not cheap!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hi guys just a heads up.....the best way to get cheap but strong foam in sa is make ur own....
I use old refrigerator foam cut to 3/4mm with a Hotwire. and then I glue brown Kraft paper onto both sides of the foam.. it works wonderfully and its pretty strong..

Jesse Dupreez

Hi fellow Saffas.

There must be more members lurking around. With a forum this big it's easy to go around unnoticed.

I hail from the Cape and use 2mm Correx instead of "foam". I've experimented with isoboard (insulation board) mainly for fuselages. It needs carbon reinforcing which is a little to fancy for me so I've stuck with correx. It's sturdy and easy to work with.
Hi does Correx work ?

DrthVdr

correx works much better than depron in the long run. Better at absorbing gravity than depron does.
This was after a belly landed failed launch with the L39.
The damage on the correx Corsair is from 4 tip stalls straight onto the spinner. Just have to replace the first former and reglue the power pod and new 15x7 folding prop. it flies very well. Im busy building a Simple Stick and Saber F86 70mm out of Correx.
Correx 2500x1275 =R350
Depron 1250x800 =R298
Use a heat gun to soften the correx so as to form it easier. That and a little more patience with a big slowboat of wackie tobbakie gets the job done.

Attachments

• L39 maiden.jpeg
    L39 maiden.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
  • F4U Crash damage.jpeg
    F4U Crash damage.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 0
  • F4U Crash damage correx.jpeg
    F4U Crash damage correx.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 0
  • F4U correx build.jpeg
    F4U correx build.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
correx works much better than depron in the long run. Better at absorbing gravity than depron does.
This was after a belly landed failed launch with the L39.
The damage on the correx Corsair is from 4 tip stalls straight onto the spinner. Just have to replace the first former and reglue the power pod and new 15x7 folding prop. it flies very well. Im busy building a Simple Stick and Saber F86 70mm out of Correx.
Correx 2500x1275 =R350
Depron 1250x800 =R298
Use a heat gun to soften the correx so as to form it easier. That and a little more patience with a big slowboat of wackie tobbakie gets the job done.
another south afican!!!
flag-south-africa_1f1ff-1f1e6.png