Hi, from N. Calif.

cyberfish2

I am 80, so I started RC flying late in life. This AeroScout is a good choice for my beginner plane. I have had four successful flights, and a minor crash (pilot error). I put in a lot of practice on the RF8 flight simulator. I downloaded this plane, and bought the Spektrum dongle so I could use the DXe transmitter to practice. This is so much fun, it must be illegal!:p
AS1.jpg

Figure9

Elite member
There might be more irony in your post than you think. I started out with a Champ ~ Ready To Fly. It didn’t take long for me to jump out of my RC flying comfort zone. Building from foam board or kits is fun too & might take up more time than you would like it to. At least building isn’t illegal, yet.

Figure9

Elite member
@cyberfish2 I failed to mention that today is the final day to post your comment to the FAA. If you have already, thanks. It might feel futile but it’s what we have available to make changes in the NPRM that might save our hobby from destruction by over regulation.

cyberfish2

My flying will be limited by my budget. I was a guest at the Red Baron flying club twice, but to join, I have to be an AMA member ($125/yr), and pay a $65 (senior) yearly club fee. While I love the company, and the available expertise, it is in addition to the ~$300 I have in the plane, charger, dongle, and extra battery. That's about it, on a fixed income. Fortunately, I have friends with a private farm where I can go to fly.

Figure9

Elite member
Way to go @cyberfish2 Do what you can to fly & be happy, I approve. There’s a local Native American reservation that has given me permission to fly on a huge field on their reservation. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. I‘m also going to join my local RC Flyer’s club, & like you, I find it very expensive. I’ll pop for it so I’ll, hopefully, always have a legal place to fly. 💸💸💸 Meanwhile, the FAA will be a few years doing their best to regulate us out of the sub 400 foot airspace we use.

Maxx

I am 80, so I started RC flying late in life. This AeroScout is a good choice for my beginner plane. I have had four successful flights, and a minor crash (pilot error). I put in a lot of practice on the RF8 flight simulator. I downloaded this plane, and bought the Spektrum dongle so I could use the DXe transmitter to practice. This is so much fun, it must be illegal!:p
View attachment 159996
Welcome cyberfish2 !

cyberfish2

There might be more irony in your post than you think. I started out with a Champ ~ Ready To Fly. It didn’t take long for me to jump out of my RC flying comfort zone. Building from foam board or kits is fun too & might take up more time than you would like it to. At least building isn’t illegal, yet.
Like I mentioned, this is so much fun, it must be illegal. Or soon will be. When we had the bad fires here, they had to suspend the tankers from dropping fire retardant, due to interference from people flying drones in the fire zone. This, and drones too near the airports, is what is prompting the anti-flying legislation. I live in a high fire zone. I would hate to lose my home because of some idiot trying to shoot a video. So, getting any regulation right will be a hard problem, and not likely cure the stupidity, anyway. Before I get flamed for being on the wrong side of this, all I'm trying to say here is that I understand the problem; I have no solution.
I wish I still had some of the old Cox 049, & Fox engines I used as a kid. They are highly collectible. I had a hard time getting them started, to fly the old U-control planes I built.

Figure9

Elite member
I live in the foothills too. flying is good here in Sonora if we stay away from airports & fire fighting aircraft. I haven’t noted any non-flyer complainers so far, lots of open space.