Hi from Timmers

Timmers

Hey I'm new to the forums!

I'm new to the RC aircraft hobby but I'd like get more active in the community. I'd like to start a local group for Quadcopters in Spokane, Washington. Maybe I could get a few tips?

I've made a blog post documenting my most recent build of a quadcopter,
and few lessons I've learned. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Here is a picture of my quad:

Quad%u00252Blvl1%2BRIP.jpg

I look forward to being a member of this forum!:p

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Welcome timmers. You couldn't of picked a better forum. Nobody will look down at you for asking even the simplest of ?'s. I had that issue on another forum as a noob and felt really stupid, kinda turned me off from posting, Not here, it's a very knowledgeable and warm community. If you ever need help post it and you'll get your answer or at least help on where to find that answer. I've only been at this for a little over a year now after a long hiatus from the hobby. Again, welcome and happy New Year

Timmers

Thanks for comments! I'll make sure to remember to ask all my questions.

Here is a question for you: In light of my last crash I've looked for different ways to track down a crashed or lost multirotor. What are some of the things that you do or have seen done? For example I've seen buzzers, and blue tooth trackers that have a short range but are cheap, then you have the gps trackers that usually are more expensive and have a monthly payment, I've even thought about using ham radio to send APRS. My only preference is that it needs to be cheap and it needs to work.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Welcome to FliteTest, Timmers!

I recommend a multi-stage safety net on your multi-rotors.
1. Failsafe. Test it and test it often. You may need two stages of failsafe. One failsafe kicks in when the receiver loses connection with the transmitter. The second failsafe kicks in if the flight controller loses connection with the receiver (crash). I am of the opinion that the best failsafe is to simply shut down motors and disarm (fall out of the sky).

2. Put your name on the machine. Name and phone number and HAM or AMA numbers on your machine are key to getting your copter back if it flies off. It also demonstrates your willingness to be responsible if it hits anything or anyone. My credentials are on every battery I fly.

3. Alarms, buzzers etc. I like the Naze32 flight controllers with a piezo that howls when the receiver loses connection with the transmitter. This has helped me out when the copter crashed and the receiver was ripped from the flight controller.

4. Telemetry. FrSky has a telemetry RSSI monitor that shows signal strength on your transmitter. When the model goes down in the weeds, you can follow the signal strength meter to your copter so long as the copter is still communicating with the transmitter.

There is no one size fits all single method that works. There are simply too many variables, however, steps 1 and 2 are universally beneficial. This set up works well for me because I fly by AMA rules. I like the fall out of the sky failsafe and it works for me because I don't fly over people or property already. So taking the copter out of the sky can't harm anyone or anything other than the copter. Fall out of the sky failsafe can't result in a flyaway and can't take the copter up above 400'. Also if someone beats me to the copter after it 'lands' the rotors will not be spinning, immediately limiting my liability.

You have to figure out what works for you and how you fly. I hope these tips help.

Happy New Year!

As far as tracking a wayward model, this caught my eye, recently, in the Articles section of the FT site:

http://flitetest.com/articles/tbeacon-uhf-craft-finder

I was impressed enough with the writeup here and elsewhere that I immediately ordered one of these plus a cheap GPS module ($10!) to feed it location data. It's small and light, looks reliable, and will work if the crash disconnects the model's main battery. And some versions have a built-in beeper and flashing LED that you activate when you are close.

The device mentioned above by RAM is also impressive... but also requires that you are in range of a cell tower.

Last edited:

Timmers

Thanks cranialrectosis!

Thanks cranialrectosis! Those are great tips.

1. Failsafe. Test it and test it often. You may need two stages of failsafe. One failsafe kicks in when the receiver loses connection with the transmitter. The second failsafe kicks in if the flight controller loses connection with the receiver (crash). I am of the opinion that the best failsafe is to simply shut down motors and disarm (fall out of the sky).

I believe the APM board has both of those failsafes by default, as far as disarming the aircraft if it loses connection with the transmitter for a certain amount of time.

2. Put your name on the machine. Name and phone number and HAM or AMA numbers on your machine are key to getting your copter back if it flies off. It also demonstrates your willingness to be responsible if it hits anything or anyone. My credentials are on every battery I fly.

I'll make sure to get my name and contact information are on the craft. I've also already registered with the FAA so I'll also put that number on the craft.

3. Alarms, buzzers etc. I like the Naze32 flight controllers with a piezo that howls when the receiver loses connection with the transmitter. This has helped me out when the copter crashed and the receiver was ripped from the flight controller.

I'll also add a buzzer to the next flight controller.

4. Telemetry. FrSky has a telemetry RSSI monitor that shows signal strength on your transmitter. When the model goes down in the weeds, you can follow the signal strength meter to your copter so long as the copter is still communicating with the transmitter.

That sounds like a good idea too, I'll have to look into that. I mostly use spectrum remotes, but it would be good to know the strength of the transmitter's signal.

There is no one size fits all single method that works. There are simply too many variables, however, steps 1 and 2 are universally beneficial. This set up works well for me because I fly by AMA rules. I like the fall out of the sky failsafe and it works for me because I don't fly over people or property already. So taking the copter out of the sky can't harm anyone or anything other than the copter. Fall out of the sky failsafe can't result in a flyaway and can't take the copter up above 400'. Also if someone beats me to the copter after it 'lands' the rotors will not be spinning, immediately limiting my liability.

You have to figure out what works for you and how you fly. I hope these tips help.

Happy New Year!

Thanks again for the tips. I agree that it would be better to have a crash and have it fall out of the sky. I admire that you try to fly by the AMA rules, I try to as well. My accident seems to have occurred because of lack of foresight on my part, I didn't understand how quickly it could get away if I lost line of sight, I assumed the worst case would be to crash but it wasn't.

Thanks again!

Timmers

I would look at this option as well. You need a second line from your cellphone provider or spend $10 per every 3 months for the prepaid sim card. http://www.amazon.com/Trackers-Pele...=sr_1_12?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1451147088&sr=1-12

good explanation in this videofrom glassdogangle https://youtu.be/_RzZcQBpu4g?t=305

I really like that, also It's only $25 on amazon. That's exactly what I was looking for, something to send back the coords to my phone. The only downside is that it is pretty large for a small 250 to 280mm racing quadcopter. I'll look into this though. Thanks for your help.

Timmers

As far as tracking a wayward model, this caught my eye, recently, in the Articles section of the FT site:

http://flitetest.com/articles/tbeacon-uhf-craft-finder

I was impressed enough with the writeup here and elsewhere that I immediately ordered one of these plus a cheap GPS module ($10!) to feed it location data. It's small and light, looks reliable, and will work if the crash disconnects the model's main battery. And some versions have a built-in beeper and flashing LED that you activate when you are close.

The device mentioned above by RAM is also impressive... but also requires that you are in range of a cell tower.

Thanks! That also looks like a great option. The plus on this one is that it is small and also works out of range of a cell phone tower.

Timmers

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. I'll make sure to do a follow up blog post on this on what I am thinking about the tracking. You have given me some great options for tracking my quads as well as some more common sense details. Thank you!