Hi guys!

WillL84

Hey guys!

I'll be joining you soon - my wife got me an FT Legacy V2 and all the extra goodies for Christmas! Going to build it as a single motor 3-channel first for training then upgrade down the road as I see fit.

I've been in the RC world for a LONG time starting off with the cheap walmart cars and then going to the wonderful T-Maxx once I grew up a bit. I had a BUNCH of those with different engines. I also had a few small planes and a few small electric helis and even as of now I have a small cheap quadcopter and a small cheap heli.

This will be my first "real" plane though, I'm super excited!

I've been reading up on all the new FAA regs and I'll be getting my AMA membership soon as well. I've also emailed my local flying club about joining and getting some stick time with their trainers which will help.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey guys!

I'll be joining you soon - my wife got me an FT Legacy V2 and all the extra goodies for Christmas! Going to build it as a single motor 3-channel first for training then upgrade down the road as I see fit.

I've been in the RC world for a LONG time starting off with the cheap walmart cars and then going to the wonderful T-Maxx once I grew up a bit. I had a BUNCH of those with different engines. I also had a few small planes and a few small electric helis and even as of now I have a small cheap quadcopter and a small cheap heli.

I've been reading up on all the new FAA regs and I'll be getting my AMA membership soon as well. I've also emailed my local flying club about joining and getting some stick time with their trainers which will help.

Welcome to the forums mate.

You could also just join the FTCA.. Its like the AMA but not stuck in the 1940's and way more inviting to all things flight not just nitro balsa planes. That and no one here will look at you funny when you maiden a scratch built self design. In fact they will cheer you on, applaud your success, laugh with you on the failures and probably over share with helping you troubleshoot what went wrong while helping you pick up the pieces.

Hey guys!

Good wife!

WillL84

Welcome to the forums mate.

You could also just join the FTCA.. Its like the AMA but not stuck in the 1940's and way more inviting to all things flight not just nitro balsa planes. That and no one here will look at you funny when you maiden a scratch built self design. In fact they will cheer you on, applaud your success, laugh with you on the failures and probably over share with helping you troubleshoot what went wrong while helping you pick up the pieces.

It seems the couple clubs local to me require an AMA membership so I'll have to go with that lol

Headbang

Master member
It seems the couple clubs local to me require an AMA membership so I'll have to go with that lol
While you can learn on your own, there is no substitute for buddy boxing with someone experienced.
Only thing to note is that altho it seems many "clubs" are unfriendly and not welcoming to electric fb planes, that is typically only a few ppl with loud voices. There is most likely 10 wonderful ppl to every 1 closed minded jerk. Just have to find those 10!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Fair enough... I would not how ever show up with a FT foamie nor mention FT or the FTCA as them old geezers may take you behind the woodshed and try to re-educate you with the current climate between the two.

Headbang

Master member
Fair enough... I would not how ever show up with a FT foamie nor mention FT or the FTCA as them old geezers may take you behind the woodshed and try to re-educate you with the current climate between the two.

Depends on the club, my club was like that a few years ago. This last season we had people with 3d printed planes and ft foamboard planes out all the time, even the "old geezers" were getting on board. At one point we had 4 seaducks in the air at a time, and at least 7 or more people have built seaducks this year. We even got to see what happens when a 120cc gasser meets a fb plane mid-air. In the past one would have never seen both up at the same time. So many bits of foam board, so much laughter. Times are changing.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Depends on the club, my club was like that a few years ago. This last season we had people with 3d printed planes and ft foamboard planes out all the time, even the "old geezers" were getting on board. At one point we had 4 seaducks in the air at a time, and at least 7 or more people have built seaducks this year. We even got to see what happens when a 120cc gasser meets a fb plane mid-air. In the past one would have never seen both up at the same time. So many bits of foam board, so much laughter. Times are changing.

Yeah but it seems like AMA is gettin all butt hurt with the formation of the FTCA and its popularity gaining traction. We shall see once the F.A.A. gets off their duff and defines CBO and the AMA finds out they don't have a choke hold on everyone to exploit.

Headbang

Master member
Yeah but it seems like AMA is gettin all butt hurt with the formation of the FTCA and its popularity gaining traction. We shall see once the F.A.A. gets off their duff and defines CBO and the AMA finds out they don't have a choke hold on everyone to exploit.

Fortunately for me I have the privilege of watching it all unfold from the north. The hobby in the US is in a scary place tho. MAAC up here has been doing what AMA should have been doing down there and fighting for exemptions and definitions. We have lost some and won some, but there is not the fear that there is in the US for the hobby.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Fortunately for me I have the privilege of watching it all unfold from the north. The hobby in the US is in a scary place tho. MAAC up here has been doing what AMA should have been doing down there and fighting for exemptions and definitions. We have lost some and won some, but there is not the fear that there is in the US for the hobby.

Hrrm short trip across the falls into Ontario .. Maybe I should come fly at your house. I get anxiety testing motors and servos in the house let alone actually go out side to put something in the air.