Hi. New to rc planes. Have a STEM club and questions.

Jonclark

Hi all.
My STEM club is making some tiny trainers.
I have a question. I have some 2300kv 2204 motors, and a 30A esc. 3s battery.
I put a 6045 prop on and I have a horrible screeching sound.. . please see the video. No problem with a 5030 prop...Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?
https://youtu.be/bIsqD5JSC38

Thanks

Bricks

Master member
If you are pulling the throttle back it sounds like the break is set to on, if so look at the directions for your ESC it will tell you how to reset the break to off.

Jonclark

Hi, thanks for responding. It makes the noise when pushing towards full throttle... then I back off... I had a read around and it sounds like my ESC is callibrated for a different motor (slower response time???). When I tried a different esc, 12A then it worked fine... no noise, though the ESC got hot... is this ok?

Thanks

Chuppster

That would depend on how much current you are pulling. Do you have a multi-meter or power analyzer? You should be sure you aren't drawing more than 10 amps max with a full battery with a 12 amp ESC. Otherwise, you will probably fry your ESC. If it does draw too much current you will want a smaller prop.

I am pretty sure you can configure your original ESC to work with that motor.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Hi all.
My STEM club is making some tiny trainers.
I have a question. I have some 2300kv 2204 motors, and a 30A esc. 3s battery.
I put a 6045 prop on and I have a horrible screeching sound.. . please see the video. No problem with a 5030 prop...Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?
https://youtu.be/bIsqD5JSC38

Thanks
What your experiencing is the classic "ESC timing desync"
It was common in the early days of multirotors with high KV motors and that's why people were re-flashing their ESCs firmware with "SimonK" or "BLheli" to prevent that desync.
Out of my (approx) 50 normal ESCs, I've had 3 that would desync (2 Turnigy Plush, 1 Hobbyking Blue series), I was fortunate to have both program cards for them so I could easily increase the timing in them which would totally cure the desync problem. In your situation it's probably easier and quicker to just get a new ESC.

skymaster

Elite member
would this cause the motor to stutter, also when you push throttle. and is the firmware different for an esc that is for a plane and the one for a quad, and maybe i have a feeling that i got fake BLHeli esc cause the gage wire on them are kind of thin for a 30a and they look like the one's on a 20a . think a got swindle.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Skymaster, I have Issues with ESCd turning "twitchy" or stuttery too. I want to figure that out first, for myself and them before I begin if it's such a problem (over 3rd one goes that way for me). I know it's the ESC as the same motor setup with another ESC rotates fine.

I'm Leading another STEM night with my Cub Scouts this weekend. Using the XT-70 by Ben Harper this time.

BSA-Stem 2018 Prep.JPG
Should be another fun night

Last years is Here. Using a 65% tiny trainer. good result a lot of prep work.

Thanks in advance.