Hi Start - Anyone done it?

AdamV

I'm interested in trying hi start - does anyone know if the simple soarer could handle it? Or if not, what modifications do you think it would need? I'm just beginning my research into this, but a forum search here turned up dry.

I'll post video of results if I can ever get it to work!

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
yes it can, but it needs to be a little soft
you could also reinforce the wings for a harder launch

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
dunno about the simple soarer, but the tiny trainer is fine for about a half dozen launces with a CF arrow spar . . . then the wingtip folds.

Makes for an entertaining launch :p

I expect the simple soarer to behave similarly since the wing design is the same. if you can re-enforce the tips along with the strong spar, you've got a chance.

crash_dummy.223

I launched mine off a high start, it was great for about 2 dozen flights. I had no issues with strength until it was nose dived into the ground by a mate. Good fun though

AdamV

Maybe i'll make a nerdnic style speedwing for the simple soarer and see if it can withstand high starts. High start seems like a lot of fun. Though, the more i think about it, makes me wonder, why not just put a motor on a glider

AdamV

Well, it sounded like most people who had tried a DTFB planes with high start, invariably, were having wings fold, so i made my simple soarer wing with a NerdNic style speed wing. Not sure how this will affect gliding - hopefully not too much, as i also hope to fly this as just an electric glider or with towing.

Wing finished tonight - here's a progress shot of wing with spar in place.
DSC_0865.JPG

Piotrsko

Master member
The whole trick in not folding the wing is to avoid up elevator. 2-3 clicks up trim from a nice level glide should be enough for a decent climb. Also the further forward attach from the CG you go, the less stress but also less altitude.