Help! Hi to the Flite Test forum

Pops

I just joined this forum a few days ago. I am new to the hobby and got the bug to build and fly models when I stumbled onto Flite Test while surfing YouTube. I have purchased the Explorer kit with Power Pack and a HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ BNF, a Spectrum DX6e transmitter and other associated gear. Yes, I really jumped in even though I have not yet flown and have not yet assembled the Explorer.
I also purchased Real Flight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition simulator since the Phoenix sim has been discontinued. I have been practicing with the E-Flite Timber 1.5m w/AS3X and Safe select as this seems to be the RF8 model that most closesly resembles the Carbon Cub. This brings up several questions:
First – Is the RF8 E-Flite Timer the closest fit for the Carbon Cub?
Second – Are there FT models available for RF8 as there are for the Phoenix?
Looking forward to interacting with FT forum.

basslord1124

Master member
Timber would be a good candidate for the CC...I honestly can't remember if the CC has flaps and I know the Timber does. That would probably be the only difference. Otherwise, really any cub style plane would fit the bill.

Check this thread out here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flitetest-in-realflight-7-5-model-index.31653/

Granted this is for RF7.5 but I wouldn't think there'd that much of a difference between the 2...especially in terms of the setup and model selection. The thread hasn't been updated in a while, but it does give you some FT models you can import in.

d8veh

Elite member
The Carbon Cub S+ is a perfect starter plane becauseit can literally fly itself. You must read and follow all the instructions. If there's anything you don't unserstand, just ask.

Phoenix is discontinued, but you can get it free with one of the 22 in 1 Flight Simulator Cables, which you can buy anywhere for about $10. It has the advantage of being able to download and practice on most of the Flitetest models.

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right placefor RC fun.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums. Sound like you are all in. Simulators are a great way to learn and will save you many planes while you learn the basics. One word of caution, the sim plane will fly better because it is set up perfectly. I've never build a perfect plane yet, my planes always have some bad habits that the sim planes don't have. Simulators are a great learning tool but they are no substitute for someone teaching you to fly on a buddy box.

Way to commit! I attribute most of my successful first flights to the knowledge gained from FT episodes and the muscle memory from RF8. I haven't tried buddy boxing yet and I'm sure it's better but IMO you have everything you need to get in the air successfully. Just don't be hurt too much WHEN you crash, that's when the next fun part of the hobby comes into play, rebuilding. Good luck!

Pops

Timber would be a good candidate for the CC...I honestly can't remember if the CC has flaps and I know the Timber does. That would probably be the only difference. Otherwise, really any cub style plane would fit the bill.

Check this thread out here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flitetest-in-realflight-7-5-model-index.31653/

Granted this is for RF7.5 but I wouldn't think there'd that much of a difference between the 2...especially in terms of the setup and model selection. The thread hasn't been updated in a while, but it does give you some FT models you can import in.
Thanks for the info!!

Pops

Way to commit! I attribute most of my successful first flights to the knowledge gained from FT episodes and the muscle memory from RF8. I haven't tried buddy boxing yet and I'm sure it's better but IMO you have everything you need to get in the air successfully. Just don't be hurt too much WHEN you crash, that's when the next fun part of the hobby comes into play, rebuilding. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I have joined my local club and will start flying for real with a buddy. Still I am prepared not to let crashing upset me...it's part of the fun?

Pops

Welcome to the forums. Sound like you are all in. Simulators are a great way to learn and will save you many planes while you learn the basics. One word of caution, the sim plane will fly better because it is set up perfectly. I've never build a perfect plane yet, my planes always have some bad habits that the sim planes don't have. Simulators are a great learning tool but they are no substitute for someone teaching you to fly on a buddy box.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

it's part of the fun?
I think so. I was sad when I crashed my first scratch build beyond repair but it taught me valuable lessons about my build technique. This, and the familiarity with the design made making my second from scratch easier and more fun because I could fix my mistakes and test some theories. This made me excited for my next flight to see what would happen after tweaking and strengthening, rather than the dread I used to experience with my purchased planes after a bad crash. The speed build kits are great for learning the basics with (laser) precision but the freedom of knowing how to take a rectangular peice of foam board and turn it into something that flies make the flight time more gratifying and crashing less terrifying. In my humble opinion lol

Pops

The Carbon Cub S+ is a perfect starter plane becauseit can literally fly itself. You must read and follow all the instructions. If there's anything you don't unserstand, just ask.

Phoenix is discontinued, but you can get it free with one of the 22 in 1 Flight Simulator Cables, which you can buy anywhere for about $10. It has the advantage of being able to download and practice on most of the Flitetest models.

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right placefor RC fun.
Thanks for the advice. I have figured out the instructions are difficult to follow, in fact I have re-written them for myself in a way that is easier to follow. Does the 22 in 1 Flight Simulator work with the Spektrum DX6e as this transmitter does not have a connection for a buddy cable, it is all wireless?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks for the advice. I have joined my local club and will start flying for real with a buddy. Still I am prepared not to let crashing upset me...it's part of the fun?

Learn the mantra - "Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat".

:)

Seriously, with some of these foam board planes, crashing and rebuilding is half the fun! :)

d8veh

Elite member
Thanks for the advice. I have figured out the instructions are difficult to follow, in fact I have re-written them for myself in a way that is easier to follow. Does the 22 in 1 Flight Simulator work with the Spektrum DX6e as this transmitter does not have a connection for a buddy cable, it is all wireless?
As far as I know it works with any transmitter with a trainer port. They supply adaptor cables for different types of ports.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am absolutely sure that the first plane, which I'm still currently building, will be absolutely perfect! :cool: Ok. I'm not stupid. Maybe it won't be. :rolleyes:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
In a sim it's part of the fun. In Real Life? Probably not so much. It is inevitable though, and if you recognize that and are good with it? You are already halfway there. Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. Enjoy.

Welcome to our family.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks for the encouragement

Seriously - building some of these planes is addictive. I've put together the Sea Duck, which I absolutely love to fly; I've built a couple of MiGs which I've killed; I've built 2 Bushwackers and some Versa Wings as well for combat (which, I have discovered, I royally SUCK at LOL)

Accept that at least ONE plane that you build is going to go into the ground. It's a given. It may be due to bad configuration, or a glue spot finally lets go after a while, or (in the case of one of my MiGs) the battery compartment comes loose, slides forward int the prop, and rips the whole motor off in midair, leaving you to land a plane that's suddenly had its CG changed. :)

The thing is, those crashes will teach you things. They'll teach you weak points in the plane, like "Oh, maybe I should have cut the battery compartment latch a little bigger," or "You know, this set of landing gear is a little weak. I need to beef them up a bit more with a different design."

basslord1124

Master member
Seriously - building some of these planes is addictive. I've put together the Sea Duck, which I absolutely love to fly; I've built a couple of MiGs which I've killed; I've built 2 Bushwackers and some Versa Wings as well for combat (which, I have discovered, I royally SUCK at LOL)

Amen to that. I've built planes that I don't even have all the electronics for. Of course it's winter time and I don't get as much flying time as I do during the spring/summer months. Sometimes I think it's my old love for Legos as a kid that makes me enjoy building.

To date I have built the following:
-FT Storch - flies great, in the process of upgrading motor and adding flaps
-FT Super Bee - crashed, then lost, then found crashed for the 2nd time. RIP.
-FT Seaduck - flies great...almost finished with its paint job
-FT Simple Cub - awaiting a maiden
-FT Long EZ - awaiting a maiden
-Galaxy Glider - design from an FT community member. Still needs a few more things (electronics) to finish it up.
-FT3D - mostly built, needs electronics
-FT Mini Scout - building now...yeah I sort of snuck that one in. ;)

I'm also in the process of building a little snow vehicle.

So see what Flitetest does to you @Pops :eek:

Antioch

Welcome to the forum....only a few weeks ahead of you.... yes I know my first plane wasn't straight... but having fun building while I wait to be able to fly. Building has been a lot of fun...Sage advise all the good folks here.