Hi!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hi every one,

I am new here and I am excited to learn all I can about RC aviation. I found flite test a few weeks ago and I was really excited when I saw they had a forum! I have been flying RC helicopters and drones for a couple of years and I just recently got in to RC planes. I ordered my first RC plane which is the WLtoys F949 and it should be arriving any day.

Gazoo

Good to see you here. Hope you have lots of fun and post your experience with fixed wing. That one should be a fun flyer but you might get blown around a bit outside.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Good to see you here. Hope you have lots of fun and post your experience with fixed wing. That one should be a fun flyer but you might get blown around a bit outside.

Yeah, I will definitely post my experiences. I'll post a video of my first flight of the F949.

PoorManRC

Master member
WELCOME!! This is the most fun you can have, with your pants on!! :p
The best way to learn how to Fly, if you don't have an instructor....
Is to get as much instruction as you can, watch Videos - and actually FLY! The one piece of advice I can offer (I still haven't maidened in RC yet, but have flown the real thing) is LIGHT ON THE CONTROLS!!! As tempting as it will be to start stunt flying, just first worry about getting off the ground, gaining some Control in the air...

And most importantly, getting her back on the ground - in one piece!! Preferably on her Wheels. ;)
And have FUN!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
WELCOME!! This is the most fun you can have, with your pants on!! :p
The best way to learn how to Fly, if you don't have an instructor....
Is to get as much instruction as you can, watch Videos - and actually FLY! The one piece of advice I can offer (I still haven't maidened in RC yet, but have flown the real thing) is LIGHT ON THE CONTROLS!!! As tempting as it will be to start stunt flying, just first worry about getting off the ground, gaining some Control in the air...

And most importantly, getting her back on the ground - in one piece!! Preferably on her Wheels. ;)
And have FUN!

Thank you! I watched the all 10 videos of the Flite Test beginners series and my plane should be coming soon so I think I am ready to fly.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks! Yeah, I will definitely try! Hopefully the unfortunate Does not happen!
That's something that we ALL hope for!!!
Either way, video is a great learning tool. Not just for you, but for the more experienced to be able to help you.

With my own first Maiden approaching.... I'm hoping for good enough video myself.
GOOD LUCK!!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
That's something that we ALL hope for!!!
Either way, video is a great learning tool. Not just for you, but for the more experienced to be able to help you.

With my own first Maiden approaching.... I'm hoping for good enough video myself.
GOOD LUCK!!

Yeah!

Can you post your Maiden flight video on the Video thread and let me know when you do? I want to see it.

PoorManRC

Master member
Of course I will!!!
It's going to likely take longer than you.... I haven't even started building yet. :cautious::oops:
I'm starting to think that maybe a scratchbuild
shouldn't be my FIRST Aircraft.....

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Of course I will!!!
It's going to likely take longer than you.... I haven't even started building yet. :cautious::oops:
I'm starting to think that maybe a scratchbuild
shouldn't be my FIRST Aircraft.....
My first build was a TT kit from FT. My second build is a scratch. Just from my experience, scratch building one's first plane is definitely doable. That being said, by starting with the kit I learned the methods seen in the videos first hand and was then able to progress those lessons learned onto the scratch build. I think it definitely softened the learning curve doing it that way.

I don't think it's necessary though. Pick something simple and I believe one can start on a scratch build with just a tad steeper learning curve.

PoorManRC

Master member
Ok, thanks!

Is it your first airplane?

It's my first RC Airplane...
i was a NCO Pilot, something that I don't think they do anymore. Anyway, my Dad was a "Top Gun" kind of Pilot in SAC.
I just flew light Aircraft, but was pretty decent in a F-15 and A-10 Simulator!! :p
I HAD to fly SOMETHING!

I can't answer why it took SO long to start RC Flight... I've been in RC Ground Vehicles since 1984.
So I guess I'm combining my Passions finally!!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
It's my first RC Airplane...
i was a NCO Pilot, something that I don't think they do anymore. Anyway, my Dad was a "Top Gun" kind of Pilot in SAC.
I just flew light Aircraft, but was pretty decent in a F-15 and A-10 Simulator!! :p
I HAD to fly SOMETHING!

I can't answer why it took SO long to start RC Flight... I've been in RC Ground Vehicles since 1984.
So I guess I'm combining my Passions finally!!

Cool!

Was there electric RC cars and trucks in 1984 or was it only gas?

Are you going to build a 3ch or 4ch?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
If you decide you are not going to build, I heard that the HobbyZone Super cub S is a really good starter plane, the reason I didn't get it was because it was way over my budget, otherwise I would have.

Here is a link to it.

d8veh

Elite member
If you decide you are not going to build, I heard that the HobbyZone Super cub S is a really good starter plane, the reason I didn't get it was because it was way over my budget, otherwise I would have.
You're absolutely right. Any of the Hobbyzone planes that have S+ in the name are the same. I think the Champ S+ is the cheapest. If you're on your own, these planes are a brilliant way to learn to fly, as it's very difficult to crash provided that you read and follow all of the instructions. the only problem for a newb is that the instructions might not make much sense without a frame of reference, so probably best still to get an experienced pilot to help you with it. On the other hand, if you're good with instruction sheets, there's every reason for success.

I have the Carbon Cub S+ and I think it's brilliant. I love to show it off to the guys at the flying club. They're always skeptical at first, then amazed.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
You're absolutely right. Any of the Hobbyzone planes that have S+ in the name are the same. I think the Champ S+ is the cheapest. If you're on your own, these planes are a brilliant way to learn to fly, as it's very difficult to crash provided that you read and follow all of the instructions. the only problem for a newb is that the instructions might not make much sense without a frame of reference, so probably best still to get an experienced pilot to help you with it. On the other hand, if you're good with instruction sheets, there's every reason for success.

I have the Carbon Cub S+ and I think it's brilliant. I love to show it off to the guys at the flying club. They're always skeptical at first, then amazed.

Yeah, I think a great way to learn(if you don't have a instructor) is to watch the Flite Test beginner series. Thats what got me hooked in to RC planes and thats ware I heard of the Super cub.

PoorManRC

Master member
Cool!

Was there electric RC cars and trucks in 1984 or was it only gas?

Are you going to build a 3ch or 4ch?

There were absolutely Electric Cars! For a few years already. That was the year the Tamiya Grasshopper was introduced, and was my first.

I will likely go 3ch first, unless I decide to go 4ch, but with up Elevator mixing with Ailerons. At least 20 people have told me that would be the way to go.