Hi!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
So, guess what? IT SNOWED!!!!! :eek:o_O(n)

Do you think I should still try to fly with a few inches of snow on the ground?

If it goes nose first in to the snow will it ruin the motors?

PoorManRC

Master member
So, guess what? IT SNOWED!!!!! :eek:o_O(n)

Do you think I should still try to fly with a few inches of snow on the ground?

If it goes nose first in to the snow will it ruin the motors?

Where I live, Snow is a Blessing! It's FAR more important that you have the skin waterproofed. Well, maybe not so much in your case!

An electric Motor can get damp.... Just always make sure you thoroughly dry it before using again. The ESC and Receiver are the big deal. Many today are now waterproofed from the factory. My Axial Wraith, I can drive UNDER WATER!!

Of course, Aircraft electronics may not have been that safeguarded. I would check your Manual, even contact the Company's Tech Line.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Where I live, Snow is a Blessing! It's FAR more important that you have the skin waterproofed. Well, maybe not so much in your case!

An electric Motor can get damp.... Just always make sure you thoroughly dry it before using again. The ESC and Receiver are the big deal. Many today are now waterproofed from the factory. My Axial Wraith, I can drive UNDER WATER!!

Of course, Aircraft electronics may not have been that safeguarded. I would check your Manual, even contact the Company's Tech Line.

Thanks for the fast reply! My ESC and Receiver are deep inside the fuselage protected by foam so I don't nee to worry about that.

I have a couple questions:

1. Why is snow a blessing?
2. How can I waterproof my plane?

Thanks

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Also make sure you get all the snow off before you put it into a warm environment I.E. a car as it could melt into water and have a higher chance of possibly damaging your battery, ESC, and receiver.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
How can I waterproof my plane?

Polyurethane, Minwax or similar. Don't use the water based version, it will delaminate your foam. Treat the foam before you paint. If you have already painted, use a clear coat. of some kind.

Myself, I don't like to paint. I use colored packing tape from Tape Planet or Hobby King.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks for the fast reply! My ESC and Receiver are deep inside the fuselage protected by foam so I don't nee to worry about that.

I have a couple questions:

1. Why is snow a blessing? - I LIVE IN ARIZONA!!
2. How can I waterproof my plane? - Have you ever used Conformal Coating before? I don't know how advanced you are in the Hobby.... It would involve taking apart your ESC and Receiver (which of course will VOID your warranty), and covering the PC boards with the covering. That is exactly how the Manufacturers waterproof them. ;)

Thanks

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Polyurethane, Minwax or similar. Don't use the water based version, it will delaminate your foam. Treat the foam before you paint. If you have already painted, use a clear coat. of some kind.

Myself, I don't like to paint. I use colored packing tape from Tape Planet or Hobby King.

Thanks!

Should I do it to the F949?

PoorManRC

Master member
Oh yeah, it right in you signature!:rolleyes:

No, I have never used Conformal Coating before.

Ok, thats cool!

Thanks!
Conformal Coating is more common than I thought, before I was told to use it! Available in Electronics Stores, some Big Box Stores, and common on EvilBay. IF you choose to go that route, only buy the smallest bottle. You'll STILL end up with extra!

As I mentioned, you have to take the covers off of your ESC and Receiver - which WILL void any warranty you might have had! :eek:
The coating itself is 100% SAFE for the Electronic PC Boards (it's MADE for that purpose!).

If you're uncomfortable taking apart those components, but want to...
Search YouTube videos for "Conformal Coating", "Waterproof RC Crawler", "Waterproofing RC Electronics", or combination of those terms.
It's too hard to effectively describe without visual.

I may be new here, but have been in RC Ground Vehicles for almost 4 Decades! I've competed in events that include deep water and Mud. I have personally driven my Axial Wraith through a 3ft deep running Stream!! (With NiMH Batteries, NOT Lipo!)

I can assure you that if you're up for it, this WILL protect your Electronics, beyond the life of the Aircraft! :cool:;)

Waterproofing your Lipo Batteries is a matter of getting some RTV Silicone Sealant, and completely closing up both ends of the Shrink Wrap that's around your Batteries....
You REALLY don't want to get these higher discharge RC Lipo Batteries WET!!

I Completely agree with @Merv .... Wrapping even just your Wings in Colored Packing Tape (or even Clear, as long as it's the ultra thin, lightweight Stuff), will not only create a watertight barrier to your A949, but it will also do much to strengthen your "pressed ball Styrofoam", really helping with impact damage!! :)

Now, get yourself fixed up, and let's see some FLYING!!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Conformal Coating is more common than I thought, before I was told to use it! Available in Electronics Stores, some Big Box Stores, and common on EvilBay. IF you choose to go that route, only buy the smallest bottle. You'll STILL end up with extra!

As I mentioned, you have to take the covers off of your ESC and Receiver - which WILL void any warranty you might have had! :eek:
The coating itself is 100% SAFE for the Electronic PC Boards (it's MADE for that purpose!).

If you're uncomfortable taking apart those components, but want to...
Search YouTube videos for "Conformal Coating", "Waterproof RC Crawler", "Waterproofing RC Electronics", or combination of those terms.
It's too hard to effectively describe without visual.

I may be new here, but have been in RC Ground Vehicles for almost 4 Decades! I've competed in events that include deep water and Mud. I have personally driven my Axial Wraith through a 3ft deep running Stream!! (With NiMH Batteries, NOT Lipo!)

I can assure you that if you're up for it, this WILL protect your Electronics, beyond the life of the Aircraft! :cool:;)

Waterproofing your Lipo Batteries is a matter of getting some RTV Silicone Sealant, and completely closing up both ends of the Shrink Wrap that's around your Batteries....
You REALLY don't want to get these higher discharge RC Lipo Batteries WET!!

I Completely agree with @Merv .... Wrapping even just your Wings in Colored Packing Tape (or even Clear, as long as it's the ultra thin, lightweight Stuff), will not only create a watertight barrier to your A949, but it will also do much to strengthen your "pressed ball Styrofoam", really helping with impact damage!! :)

Now, get yourself fixed up, and let's see some FLYING!!

Thank you for writing that long message!

I will definitely do the things you said.

Thank you for all the help!!!!

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Thank you for writing that long message!
I will definitely do the things you said.
Thank you for all he help!!!!

You are quite welcome! If I have learned anything here, help as MUCH as you can. In my short time here, I've received SO much help, my Head's still spinning!!!
And the Golden Rule here is to Pay it Forward whenever you can.

So I actually appreciate that you've given me the opportunity to finally give My Help!!! :) MY Experience finally was able to come into play. I have Waterproofed a LOT of RC Trucks and Buggies in my life....
Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

d8veh

Elite member
Hold on. Why do you need to waterproof a plane? I've been flying for donkeys years in all conditions, including snow and I've never waterproofed anything. Just shake off the snow before it melts. All the electrics are protected enough that they won't get drowned.

The white paper on foam absorbs water, so if you have that and fly in the wet, you might want to paint it or something, but the electrics don't need anything. The brown Flitetest foam-board is waterproof enough not to need anything.

PoorManRC

Master member
He's flying a GOOLRC/Clone A949 all foam high wing trike.....
No Paper.

I might reckon that he's just looking for a low cost way to get some extra security.