High Viability Colors for Paint Schemes?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
As I am still in my 'learning to fly well' phase, I am curious if there are any good paint schemes/colors that are better for viability against the sky. For example, I have already found that white isn't that great of a color for contrasting with the sky. As it is relevant, I do have one of the red/green colorblinds, so any red/green color options need to be very different to be quickly distinguishable.

Tench745

Master member
Generally speaking, as things get farther away from you the colors blur to greys and blacks. What you want for orientation are colors that have a very different grey-tones from one another and a pattern that is obvious from a distance.

HmXeP_moYHlIxYrnXz8dtcuxsWQvWXw_XAZaFw2zMPNxIw6SML2k44T77CNxnjf97P_wE4TjEAlpyuynG9Ek2v46B7-YKenI4ay55eGpxF_JvdwXXPV-40hUgqk9NINWAgOOVFyiTRoYRg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Generally speaking, as things get farther away from you the colors blur to greys and blacks. What you want for orientation are colors that have a very different grey-tones from one another and a pattern that is obvious from a distance.

HmXeP_moYHlIxYrnXz8dtcuxsWQvWXw_XAZaFw2zMPNxIw6SML2k44T77CNxnjf97P_wE4TjEAlpyuynG9Ek2v46B7-YKenI4ay55eGpxF_JvdwXXPV-40hUgqk9NINWAgOOVFyiTRoYRg

Thanks, this is the type of info I was looking for!

Bricks

Master member
Generally speaking I will use big stripes for the underside of the wing and the elevator running front to back with high contrasting colors. White black, white red, white blue. for something like the Bloody Barron I use a dark color wing and print out the Iron crosses on white paper and tape them on the wing on the top of the wing..

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Tench745, most colors will go light or dark in the sky. I always have a light and dark color on both the top and bottom of the plane. On a dark sky, the light color shows up best. On a bright sky the dark color pops. Use a large and different pattern on the top & bottom.

Park Invader

Use colors with a high contrast. For example dark blue on top with a white under wing. After you become more experienced at flying, you'll maintain orientation by how the plane moves with you stick inputs.

If you get into night flying, using different patterns on the top and bottom helped me a lot. With any degree of color blindness, we have to be a little more creative.

Attachments

• IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Cobra1365

I did a couple of my Gentle Lady gliders in the Richard Petty colors. Had no issue seeing them even at altitude.

Attachments

• 1D0556B8-ACAB-4B3C-B6C5-A02003752B46.jpeg
    1D0556B8-ACAB-4B3C-B6C5-A02003752B46.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: