High winds FPV

Arcfyre

Elite member
Took my Storch out today in winds that were right on the edge. When it was time to land I blew the first approach and had to go around, but the second approach was perfect, despite there being a bunch of trees in the way. I want to see you do this too, @mayan ;)

mayan

Legendary member
@Arcfyre that is some amazing fpv flying! Is that a challenge I sense there? Your on! It will take a bit of time before I try but I will get there during these next few months. Also I might be wrong but it seems like the XXL soarer is not in the tree any more how’d you get it down?

Arcfyre

Elite member
Technically I'm still flying line of sight. I just had the camera in an FPV position.

My challenge from your other thread still stands! One pattern, up, around and down. This was just an example that sometimes, especially in wind, you need to make more than one approach before you can land. My first time around in this video I didn't make it and had to try again.

And, sadly, no. The XXL is still in the tree. Lol.

mayan

Legendary member
Technically I'm still flying line of sight. I just had the camera in an FPV position.
So that's a challenge we will both have to tackle later this year. What do you say?

My challenge from your other thread still stands! One pattern, up, around and down.
That challenge still lives and will be completed. I need to find some time to get my stuff together.

And, sadly, no. The XXL is still in the tree. Lol.
:cry:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
If I was flying at your site yesterday, my flight would have landed in the lake for sure. My Storch went up as a 3-ch as one aileron wasn't working... apparently the Elevator sections has twisted creating a gentle roll I couldn't work out of.

Arcfyre

Elite member
This is Storch number 5 I think for me so it's been heavily modified. The control surfaces are made of the heavy-duty Walmart foam by Elmer's. I've also reinforced the surfaces with BBQ skewers internally to prevent exactly what you are describing.