Hinge cutting help

Fbords

I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on creating smooth 45 degree cuts. Using foam board, ill score the one side fold it back onto the paper, then try and freehand a bevel with a blade. The results are less than smooth. Having an actual technique would greatly help in cutting control surfaces and other complex parts for airframes.

Alkatraz

What i have found to help is keep the cutting edge of the blade at an angle. The farther the blade is from perpendicular to the wing the smoother the cut.

lonewolf7717

got to have a straight edge man.....check out some of josh bixlers scratchbuild videos, he gives a good example of how to properly cut a clean bevel in almost all of those. Still takes some practice but much better than absolute freehand.

MrGravey

http://www.michaels.com/Using-the-New-X-ACTO-Foam-Board-Cutter/XaBC1Vm3020,default,pg.html

Get one of those. I found this when I was getting a new x-acto knife from HobbyLobby. It comes with a guide that will help you cut 45 degree angles very easy, it also has a set up with 2 blades so you can cut those A and B style folds in one motion. I also find that the more blade you use in the cut the smoother the finish and the easier it is the follow the line. With this cutter you can angle the handle back and it lets you cut with about twice the blade the standard x-acto knife does.

I know I'm digging a post out of the grave a little here, but I hope someone else sees this and this little tool helps them as much as it has helped me.

aiidanwings

The easiest way is to score the paper a distance from the edge equal to the thickness of the foam (2/10 inch on dollar tree foam board). Peel away the paper, then use a stiff backed sanding block to sand away the foam. Fast and precise.

Liemavick

Mentor
I like that idea aiidanwings, going to have to give it a go on next build. Ive sanded the elevons, etc.. before but never removed the paper first on the edge. Should be a snap to just sand down the foam :)

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
The easiest way is to score the paper a distance from the edge equal to the thickness of the foam (2/10 inch on dollar tree foam board). Peel away the paper, then use a stiff backed sanding block to sand away the foam. Fast and precise.

i second this. just be sure you do it in an area where you can easily clean up the mess of foam afterwards.

Liemavick

Mentor
I tried trimming the paper and then cutting it with a blade, it was SOoooo much easier just cutting the foam. No sanding mess either. I'm guessing a blade might last longer too since the foam alone gave so little resistance.