Historical 800mm Series | BF 109E

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hello chaps,

Although it has been a while since I have been properly into the hobby, owing to studies, I will soon be graduating univerity and have a little more free time for some new personal projects. One side project I am currently working on for that time is the development and release of a series of (roughly) 800mm historical warbirds. These will include favorites like the Hawker Hurricane, P-40 Warhawk and P-51 Mustang, but also some that we've not seen much of before such as the IL-2 Sturmovik, De Haviland Hornet and Hienkal HE-100.

Here's one of my early designs, the de-Havilland Vampire.

The first design in this new series this, the BF-109E, famous for it's role in the early stages of the Second World War and the Battle of Britain.

Here is a quick glimpse at the drawings as they are at the moment.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 15.34.15.png

You may notice (if you look really hard!) that the cowling is designed to be removable. I've not tryed this in practice yet, but it should allow for a uniquely realistic way to access the powerpod. It's little things like this that i want to try to make my designs quite unique - as Nic Letchner has made his name with the nn-speedwing.

Here's one of his wonderful Spitfires that I put together:
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 15.48.53.png

I'd like this to be a step towards expanding the limits of foamboard, not just in performance, but in asthetics, simplicty and durability. Especially in the build, I want to try and make the number of pieces minimal so that it doesnt take too long to put together each aircraft. This is why they will have some undercamber like the FT designs instead of a speedwing type design.

img-5453-jpg_1439556165.jpg

If you're wondering, 'why smaller than Flite Test planes through?' - building at 800mm scale, I have found, almost always allows you to use just 1 sheet of foam to make a single engined fighter. It is also more easy to store and transport planes at this size (which means you can have more!)

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 15.59.59.png

Tell me what you think and what designs you would like to see! :)

Thank you for reading,
-James.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The sturmovik sounds cool, but there's a few warbirds that (as far as I know) have never really been modeled at this size. The Fairey Gannet and/or Firefly are both very cool airplanes that almost never see RC action. I'd love to see someone try to tackle the canopy arrangement of the Gannet.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
A Gannet would be a really cool project! It would be awesome if someone could get "Z" wing fold system working. Just finding opposite rotation 4-blade props would be a challenge in itself! I would also say that a certain jet *F-106* has never been modeled in foam ever either..

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
The sturmovik sounds cool, but there's a few warbirds that (as far as I know) have never really been modeled at this size. The Fairey Gannet and/or Firefly are both very cool airplanes that almost never see RC action. I'd love to see someone try to tackle the canopy arrangement of the Gannet.

Hmm these two sound really interesting. Yeah, I think it's high time we saw a lot more FT style warbirds like these that everyone can build ;)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
A Gannet would be a really cool project! It would be awesome if someone could get "Z" wing fold system working. Just finding opposite rotation 4-blade props would be a challenge in itself! I would also say that a certain jet *F-106* has never been modeled in foam ever either..

Yeah! That may be a bit of a stretch but who knows! Hmm an f-106? Well, people keep asking for more edf's! I do like delta jets too so this could work nicely.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Would definitely love if if you decide to do it! Maybe on 4S using the 12 blade Freewing edf? With retracts option? I know, I'm just dreaming now :cool:. I know I will build one at some point, not sure if it will be blue foam or DTFB. I know I want to super detail it and scale out the whole jet, just need to get around to finishing up other projects first. I've also been kicking around doing a DTFB F-100 first as a testbed for the 106..

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Yeah retracts are something that I want to include the option for on all of these designs really, so you may be in luck if I decide to do this in the future ;) and it'll be foam board. The viggen may be the inspiration for a lot of the techniques.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Just to note, I'll be updating the first post with pictures of the finished prototypes as soon as their done and the plane is released :) At the moment it doesnt have too much actually on my BF-109 design!