HK 5.8Ghz 200mW issue

Spikee

Hello everybody,

I had my first few fpv flights today and i ran into some issues with my video link.
I'm able fly 100-150+ meters high but only 150-270m in distance.

Video link range test #1:
166m

Video link range test #2:
260m

The end point = no video at all

My first thought was that 5.8Ghz wifi networks were the problem so I changed my frequency to 5945Mhz but it didn't help.

Gear placement in my plane:
plane%20setup%20%28Small%29.jpg

My setup:
808 keychain cam #16 (10Mb/s average video data rate 720P)
5.8Ghz 200mW boscam vtx ->cloverleaf (is facing up)
RC305 vrx -> Skew planar wheel (is facing up)
HK simple osd running CL-OSD (home arrow, distance etc...)
Multiplex Twin Star II running a brushless set
They all share one 3S2200 battery

Day 2:
[5945 Mhz]
I have made an LC filter for the video transmitter using a ferrite tube style core and wrapped my positive wire around it 10 times. For the capacitance value I used 2200uF 25V and fitted it into the plane.
The result was a minimal improvement of 20-30 meters in gained distance.

280m.png
At the end point my screen is basically filled with static.

Tomorrow i plan to move my cloverleaf antenna on the wing / tail for the fresnell zone effect.
Does anybody else have any tips / suggestions ?

Thanks Spikee

Last edited:

5 oclock charlie

i had the same type of issue with 1.3 ghz. i redid my harness with all sstp cat6 cable (shielded screened twisted pairs) like 6 bucks from newegg it made an immense improvement. 200mw clear line of site should give much more range if properly setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119513
pull the heavy rubber "skin" off and either use heat shrink or lightweight elec tape to cover the harness.
link from article i found the info at:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?3641-The-Most-Amazing-Invention-Ever-For-FPV-(CAT-6)&

Spikee

I found the main issue ... the notorious channel selection problem !
My receiver was on channel 1 and my transmitter on 8 and it still received decent video from a distance. I tested it in my garage and show and behold when I finally had bad reception i set my receiver from channel 1 to 8 and I had a perfect video again. (all the range test above were on channel mismatch)

Also because it was raining all day i moved my video transmitter into the tail , wired everything up using CAT5E (had no cat6 or shielded but i made good use of the twisted pairs). Because now all the electronics weight is in the tail I have 25cm in length for the battery setup. I only have 3S2200 laying around and I had to put two into the plane to get the cg right. Might have a look at a 4S or 3S high mah setup soon.

I was finally finished around 20:00 here and there was alot of humidity because of the recent rain. I was able to test my plane before it became to dark but two minutes into the flight my key-chain cam reported low battery and it was time to go home.

Tomorrow I will range test my new setup and correct channel settings and report back probably with a video.

Thanks