HK KK Board v3 Won't Arm w/ Rudder Connected?

dezertdog

I've got a blue v3 HK KK board running kapteinkuk v1.6 for tricopter. Works great when flying the rudder manually, but if I connect it Rx->KK Board (Rudd)->M4->Rudder Servo it won't arm.

Any ideas as to why?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
I've got a blue v3 HK KK board running kapteinkuk v1.6 for tricopter. Works great when flying the rudder manually, but if I connect it Rx->KK Board (Rudd)->M4->Rudder Servo it won't arm.

Any ideas as to why?

I have had a couple different things stop a board from arming.....

1. try lowering your throttle trims. If they are too high, this will stop a board from arming (depending where throttle trims were when you calibrated ESC's.) Also try stick centering if you have not done that yet.

2. if you have dual rates programmed to like 80% for example....it can restrict the physical throws and doesn't allow the stick to "move" far enough to arm it. If I fly dual rates on, i have to leave the switches at 100% to arm then click them on afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Eric

Last edited:

dezertdog

Update on this. The KK instructions for stick centering have no effect on the HK controller. There is no "arming" by throttle etc, it just arms once powered on (theoretically). In fact I can't interface with the board at all with any of the sticks, it seems like maybe the HK boards are "dumb" that way?

I've debugged it down to the point where it won't arm when the signal wire for the tail servo is connected from the Rx to the Rudd input on the controller board (+/- not connected, just one signal wire). When I power up without this signal wire connected, it arms, and then if I plug the signal wire in it stays armed and I can fly as expected with fully gyro stabilized rudder control and mixing.

Bottom line, it won't arm with the Rudd signal wire from Rx to Rudd controller board input connected, so weird. I'm not sure where to go from here.

dezertdog

I'm able actually to interface with the board via the pots, for instance when I put the pitch pot to zero and turn on, I get four flashes, then a fast repeating flash. Trying to make sense of it, not what I thought I should see from the manual.

The KK manual has poor English. Not sure what "Check a receiver power" means for instance.

Last edited:

dezertdog

After the pitch pot to zero, 4 blink then endless blinking above now the board won't arm at all. I wish this thing had better documentation!

I finally flashed the board again to get back to square one and now am at the original isse, won't arm when rudder is plugged in, unplug, arms, plug back in and will fly fine.

I've also tried leaving the rudder plugged in with dual rates set to 100% for all channels, and even then throttle and yaw trim down/right, then holding the stick down/right for 5 seconds, no go.

Then with 80% DR and centered trims the plug/unplug trick works. Grrr..

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I had issues with a Hobby King V2 board that would not arm with the latest quad firmware and a certain micro receiver. Swapped receiver to a full size and it would arm. Don't know if you might have a similar issue. Might be worth a try if you have a different brand receiver.

Thurmond

dezertdog

I had issues with a Hobby King V2 board that would not arm with the latest quad firmware and a certain micro receiver. Swapped receiver to a full size and it would arm. Don't know if you might have a similar issue. Might be worth a try if you have a different brand receiver.

Thurmond

At this point I just give up. I know how to arm it and it flies great with the "trick".

This KK board isn't long for this build, I've got something up my sleeve. I'll just deal with it for now... ;)