HK KK Controller Board

saundw

I am 100% new to multi-rotors. I just bought a Integrated PCB Micro Quad. I have done all of the motor and ESC work and made sure that all of the ESC's were programmed in the appropriate manner and also that the blades were spinning in the right way. I have all of my ESC's connected to the KK board as well as my RX plugged into the board with 4 male-to-male servo plugs. Here is where I have trouble, I don't know which way 0 is on my Gain Adjustments. I put the yaw pot all the way counter-clockwise and than the RX will bind but the motors won't work. When I spin up the quad on the ground, it just flips over. And one more thing, I do not appear to have any control input other than throttle. I could be wrong but I don't think so. I do know that I have everything plugged in right (I think).

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Will
Quad Noobie

saundw

The motors seem to go at a constant speed that is controlled by the throttle, but no other control input does anything. Not aileron elevator or rudder. The gyros do not work either. Is there some test mode or some kind of configuration that comes stock with the KK board?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Are your channels plugged in correctly? Your gyros also have a marking for the min and max, try setting them at the center.

Run up the throttle with the quad in your hand, take off the props first. Twitch the quad to see if you get any throttle changes because of the gyros.

Also you might want to reflash the control board with a tried firmware.

dezertdog

Starting with 50% is a great idea, I end up flying right around 50% anyway with my board.

I've messed my board up so much before mucking with the POTs that I've had to reflash it and start over. If you have the USB programming cable I'd flash to the latest build of a recommended quad program and start from scratch.

saundw

I just re-flashed it to QuadX Configuration. I swapped around the ESCs to the appropriate places but it just does the same thing- the only controllable part is the throttle and when I bring the throttle up, it just flips over. Is it a gyro problem? Does it maybe have to do with the transmitter? I am using a Spektrum DX6i.

SteveOBHave

You need to individually configure the ESCs endpoints one at a time and also make sure that you have the motor layout correct, i.e. in X - 1=top left, 2= top right 3= bottom right 4=bottom left. Also make sure that you have them turning the correct way. But the endpoints are a good place to start. Unplug each one.

This is really important. Do all your throttle testing without the props on!!! This might be boring but it will save your quad, your props and quite possibly your hands and legs.

Oh and set all your pots to 50% and start from there.

dezertdog

Is the DX6i model type a heli? If so what is the swash type of your model in the DX6i (setup list, swash type)?

It should be "SERVO90*" when using the KK board.

Also, if you have not programmed the throttle endpoints as mentioned above you need to stop everything and do it before moving forward. You cannot fly a multi rotor without setting the endpoints.

On most ESCs the process is:
- Take the props off
- Unplug all the ESC's but one
- Turn Tx on
- Set throttle to max
- Plug in Rx
- ESC will beep twice after initializing
- Set throttle to min
- ESC will beep twice again
- Unplug this ESC, plug another one in, repeat untill all four are set

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
You need to individually configure the ESCs endpoints one at a time and also make sure that you have the motor layout correct, i.e. in X - 1=top left, 2= top right 3= bottom right 4=bottom left. Also make sure that you have them turning the correct way. But the endpoints are a good place to start. Unplug each one.

This is really important. Do all your throttle testing without the props on!!! This might be boring but it will save your quad, your props and quite possibly your hands and legs.

Oh and set all your pots to 50% and start from there.

Which motor is which is dependent on firmware load. Your statement is correct for V2.5X firmware but incorrect for V4.7X (for the KK boards) which has a completely different motor numbering scheme. also other controllers have different numbering schemes for the motors. The last HK KK's I received were flashed for + and not for X so it always pays to check or re-flash to what you want to use.

Thurmond

saundw

I just set all the throttle points as explained above. The problems that I still have are: the quad flips over when it lifts off and I have no control input other than throttle. Even if they were plugged into the wrong channels (which they aren't- I checked) it would still have control input right?

Ugh...First multirotor experience not a great one :(

saundw

Thurmond,
I just re-flashed my HK KK V2.1 with the QuadX 4.7. I probably made a mistake with this. What do you recommend for a firmware for HK KK V2.1? I would just like a firmware where I can actually get the dang thing off the ground... hehe

Tritium

4.7X has a motor arrangement as follows:

M1 Front left
M2 Back Left
M3 Front Right
M4 Back Right

Also 4.7 sometimes exhibits what is called lazy motor 4. Motor 4 will not spin up till half throttle.

Make sure everything is plugged in correctly for 4.7X firmware as detailed above.
Set all three Pots to middle setting
Take off your props.
Throttle up to half throttle with quad in your hand
Tip it to the right- the right two motors should increase in speed.
Tip to left - left two motors should increase in speed.
Tip to front - front two motors should increase in speed
Tip to back - back two motors should increase in speed

If everything is plugged in correctly and all esc's have been calibrated individually "first" then plugged into the kk and esc calibration done and stick centering done then the motors should spin up as described above. Be advised that you may have to trim your radio before the "flip over" problem is cured by barely throttling up and seeing what the tendency of the copter is (which side , front, back or corner rises first) the trimming the appropriate axis in the opposite direction.

Thurmond

saundw

Can you go through the process of ESC calibration as well as stick centering on 4.7X

Thanks!

SteveOBHave

I entirely understand the frustration, I jumped into Quads with barely an inkling of how to proceed - it took me half a day to arm my flight controller!!!

Other things I can think of - and please don't be offended by their basic nature - are the props on the right way for the motor rotation and are the motors set in the correct rotation - i.e. 2 clockwise and 2 counter clockwise?

When starting to learn I made sure that I had nice long training rods on my Quad so that if it did try to flip the rods would catch it - Props don't much like being driven into the ground at full tilt and neither do the motor drive shafts.

Persevere - the feeling of finally getting it right is grand :D

Tritium

DO THIS WITH NO PROPS! I believe these procedures work with most KK firmware revisions.

Prop Rotation Directions for 4.7X firmware:

M1 CW (Reverse rotation-props)
M2 CCW (Standard Rotation Props)
M3 CCW (Standard Rotation Props)
M4 CW (Reverse rotation-props)

ESC throttle range:
- Turn yaw pot to zero.
- Turn on transmitter.
- Throttle stick to full.
- Turn on flight controller.
- Wait until the ESCs beep twice after the initial beeps. (Plush and SS ESC's)
- Throttle stick to off. ESCs beep.
- Turn off flight controller.
- Restore yaw pot to 50%

Stick Centering:

- Set Pitch gain pot to zero. (CCW)
- Set Transmitter trims to center.
- Power on.
- LED flashes 3 times.(Ready)
- Check a receiver power.
- Wait a few seconds.
- LED flashes 1 time.
- Power off.
- Restore Pitch gain pot.

Thurmond

Last edited:

saundw

I'm having trouble establishing which way 0 is on the yaw pots. Is it counter-clockwise when the small text is underneath the screw on the pot? Also- when I turn my yaw pot all the way one way, it will bind to the RX and I will hear the initial beeps, but the motors do not work...am I missing something? or is my board a defect?

have you checked your dx6i to make sure that all sticks are responding correctly? I have a similar problem with my quad, the difference is i have all other control inputs, except throttle doesnt work properly and sometimes not at all. As it turned out, i dropped my dx6i a few days earlier and apparently the throttle potentiometer is not working anymore.
Also have you tried reversing your gyro? maybe thats the reason why the quad flips every time

saundw

The DX6i is fine, I use it will all of my other models. Is reversing gyros different with different firmware?

Tritium

Here are the Pots.

Attachments

• pots.jpg
    pots.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 44

saundw

Oh, that's not what mine look like. Hmm... I'm thinking I'm just gonna order a HK KK board V3. Right now, all of my trouble is within the KK Board. All of my ESC's, Motors RX and TX are working and just fine.