HK quad controler for Airplanes

FoamFlyer

I would like to see an episode one how to set up the quad controller for an airplane. I have a few reasons for this the quad board has all three axis gyros and mixing abilities all built into one small lightweight and inexpensive package. After seeing the avatar gunship and now the quad build I think someone on the flite test team should be able to explain this task. The quad board is less than half the weight and one third the cost of using three gyros.
Derrick

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I am not 100% sure but I think the quad board is not set up to move servos, only motors eg slow down or speed up according to the sensors but like i said I am not 100%.....I am sure someone will put us right

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I am not 100% sure but I think the quad board is not set up to move servos, only motors eg slow down or speed up according to the sensors but like i said I am not 100%.....I am sure someone will put us right

It just needs flashing with some different firmware, I'm sure it exists already

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I tried doing that once. I only had one afternoon at it, but I didn't like the system too much.

First the arming procedure is the same as on the tricopter - which means you have to split the throttle channel to arm the board. It should be able to connect to a switch instead - instantly turning on/off the board for testing purposes.

Second, the gyros make the servos jitter a lot - and they start drawing more current and heat up the ESC's BEC. No good for me.

If they could make a good firmware that works like this (or if someone could point it to me), I'd gladly test it out and make a guide for you.

BTW I know Tritium has done that too.

---

And of course, the Bixler is already very stable.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
In the quad board, what do you plug in RUDDER? and for AIL, to you 'Y harness' two motors or what?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
In the quad board, what do you plug in RUDDER? and for AIL, to you 'Y harness' two motors or what?

Umm, On my version it's like this:

M1 Aileron
M2 Reverse output Aileron
M3 Elevator
M4 Reverse output Elevator
M5 Rudder
M6 Reverse output Rudder

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Whats reverse output aileron?

What is rudder? How does a motor facing UP work as rudder?

We are using a different firmware - which acts as 3 individual gyros to stabilize a normal airplane. No quad motors are involved. The motor outputs go to the servos.

And the reverse outputs mean it reverses the servo.