HK Super Mini Quadcopter_ Build Log

glydr

How many letters do we ge
At this stage I have identified which motor is which and which ESC lead is which as nominated by the Windestal diagram.

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

Having done this, and having removed all problems from the individual motors it is time to turn our attention to the power leads.

There are a few options available for the power leads. One is to make up a 'spider harness' and some make a pair of rings to connect everything to. To save space I elected to simply solder the lot together!

My solution is similar to a spider harness, except easier in that it is already connected to the ESCs.

1. Prepare battery/ power leads

We need to remove the wire coating from some ESC motor leads in the center. Here is the first prepared.

IMG_3539.JPG

I chose to provide two leads to the battery plug as one pair didn't seem heavy enough to handle the current. It is possible to provide a heavier gauge wire but I figure doubling the motor leads is just as easy for the same effect.

I also chose to provide a small fly lead to permit a LED arrangement to plug into the pack. Therefore three leads have had wire exposed in the middle as above. The fourth lead has been cut with some insulation removed to permit soldering together.

IMG_3541.JPG

2. Solder together

What we will end up with is four wires going in one side and three out the other (two to the battery, one to the fly lead). Get the iron nice and hot while gently twisting this lot together.

I twisted the three wires together, un-twisted them, tinned them in their bent state and reapplied the lot under heat so as to allow the solder to join them together. I must say it is a lot quicker and easier to type than do, so take your time and even consider practicing on some scrap wire.

The fourth short lead is tinned and soldered onto the 'blob' in the usual manner.

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

Note the scrap of heavy balsa to protect the frame from the soldering iron.

3. Insulate

A sleeve of heatshrink is applied with generous overhang each side.

IMG_3546.JPG

Note four leads going in one end with three coming out the other. Four coming from the ESCs, three going out to future connectors.

Now repeat with the positive wires...

IMG_3547.JPG

Last edited:

glydr

Board board

With all these wires coming from the frame we need to make a platform for the KK board, or a board for the board!

(bad Dad joke, sorry!)

I've already soldered a deans connector for the power wires and some random connector (I think from a computer) for the LED lead.

So from a sheet of lite ply I cut a square pretty much the same size as the KK board. Four holes are drilled near the corners of the platform with a 2mm bit. The platform is lined up on the frame and the holes are used as a guide for four more holes in the quad frame.

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

Four servo screws are then used to put the platform in place, but not without rubber washers from the plumbing section of the local hardware shop and rubber servo grommets. The idea is to stand the platform above the frame and hopefully absorb some vibrations in the rubber.

IMG_3554.JPG

The bits used are lined up on the platform in the photo above in sequence;

1. Rubber washer onto screw
2. The balsa scrap indicates the location of the ply
3. Another rubber washer as before
4. Finally, the servo grommet / mount

I used a spot of UHU glue in the frame as I screwed the screws into place.

As you screw the platform in place, hold the platform level with your eye and check that there are no corners higher than another. We want this to be as level as possible.

IMG_3556.JPG

Some HK gyro double sided foam tape is cut to the shape of the board leaving corners out for the screws. This is stuck onto the platform which has been dusted with a dry cloth.

::EDIT:: Highly recommend cutting 4 smaller squares to stick to the board; less vibration transfer and better adhesion as the solder points sit proud on the PCB. ::EDIT::

I haven't stuck the board in place yet, but once I do it will look like this:

IMG_3557.JPG

And when it's done I plan on using a canopy/ cover. What do you guys think of this?

IMG_3558.JPG

That's a juice container like what they use in hospital. Any better canopy suggestions? I want something to protect the board (even though its only $12) should the quad go in.

Last edited:

glydr

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Helps motivate me to keep getting the camera out while building (seriously these build logs take a long time to write!).

Further motivation arrived in the mail today! The follow-up-now-in-stock package contains CCW props (6x3) and the male to male connectors for plugging the receiver to the board. Unless I'm mistaken, that's everything. It's time to finish this thing and get it flying!

Problem is I'm no longer on leave so have less time for building!

:-/

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Thanks for the positive comments guys. Helps motivate me to keep getting the camera out while building (seriously these build logs take a long time to write!).

Further motivation arrived in the mail today! The follow-up-now-in-stock package contains CCW props (6x3) and the male to male connectors for plugging the receiver to the board. Unless I'm mistaken, that's everything. It's time to finish this thing and get it flying!

I know those build logs are a lot of work and that is why I am so thankful to anyone doing them. I have written 3 so far and they are sooo much work.

Preparing for the first flight huh?!
Good luck with your maiden and don´t try to overestimate your flying skills but you should do fine. My version of Davids Tri crashed a couple of times but now I can hold it in a hover and cruise around with it.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D

I know those build logs are a lot of work and that is why I am so thankful to anyone doing them. I have written 3 so far and they are sooo much work.

Preparing for the first flight huh?!
Good luck with your maiden and don´t try to overestimate your flying skills but you should do fine. My version of Davids Tri crashed a couple of times but now I can hold it in a hover and cruise around with it.

glydr

Hey ananas,

Thanks for the post. Glad your Tri is going well. I've got bits collecting for a Windestal Tri (including a GoPro!).

It's not quite ready for the maiden. I'm struggling to find the regular 6x3 props that I was sure I had somewhere! I'll have to order some more or hit up my flying buddies.

I've also got to flash the board with the new firmware. Last night I made a 6-pin adapter for my ebay sourced programmer (highly recommend the hobbyking version with 6 pin adapter included).

I was also having trouble with the drivers and software on my 64bit machine. For simplicity I'll dig up the old 32bit netbook and use that.

Getting close, also getting low on spare time!

Cheers.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
nice going !!! that soldering part was scary hahah .... im getting courage to order my parts for this ..

as for a canopy, try to find a transparent blue bowl or something like that :D

good luck !

Last edited:

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Im excited !! where is the flight ?? how hard is to program and flash the KK board ?? I just got a 100,00 dollar refund on HK .... might try this project !

Can I use CA of medium cure (lil thick and flexible) to assembly the frame ?

Last edited:

glydr

Im excited !! where is the flight ??

No flight yet...

how hard is to program and flash the KK board ??

That's my problem. I'm struggling to get my ebay usb programmer to speak with the driver.

I just got a 100,00 dollar refund on HK .... might try this project !

Can I use CA of medium cure (lil thick and flexible) to assembly the frame ?

Should be fine. Personally I prefer the PVA.

glydr

BTT: Glydr, are you going to paint it?

Not planning to. The plan is to link up blue LEDs on the front arms and yellow or orange LEDs on the back arms. I'm yet to get some fine wire from an electronics shop (probably Jaycar) to make up the supply leads.

But before then I need to get this KK board flashed. Thinking of just ordering the HK programmer and ditching my ebay one (which I purchased before HK stocked the programmer), however that would be breaking my resolution to wait until a HK package arrives before ordering another one (my last order only just got packed while typing this post - don't you love the 'checker robot'!?).

@ AKKArioKA, I don't pretend to be an expert but this seems to be a good step into multi-rotors. A lot of people say that larger is better (easier to fly, more stable etc) but smaller is a lower $$ outlay and that's a good thing. I plan to total all expenses with this one to help people figure out if they want one, but you will have change from $100!

glydr

Success!!!

(can I hear a woohoo?)

I've managed to use the ebay programmer after all!

Here is my problem and the solution, for the edification of other ebayers.

What I got from ebay is one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USBASP-U...534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ba8c806

It's a Baite S51 & AVR model.

And the pin-out on the cable is different to the diagram on the RC Explorer site.

My $5 ebay programmer cable (10 pin) maps like this:

420160640_194.JPG

While the RC Explorer diagram is mirror reversed (see the 10 pin map on the left):

6106728233_aa7d12c230_b.jpg

I had been using the RC explorer diagram when all the while I needed a mirror.

The breakthrough came when I discovered that the little triangle on the cable, that's 1 (i.e. MOSI). The pin opposite 1 is 2. Go up to the same row as 1 and the next one over is 3. Opposite that is 4 and so on. Connect the numbers as per the RC Explorer diagram (which I now see has in small type: 'pin positions may vary on different models').

IMG_3564.JPG
(Here are the cables of my homemade 10 to 6 converter attached to my board, yours will likely be different)

IMG_3563.JPG

So with the cables connected thus I had a successful flash. Needless to say the hot glue gun has been used to ensure the cables stay in their correct locations!

IMG_3565.JPG

I imagine the HK programmer already has the correct alignment with its 6 pin adapter. Highly recommended!!

Last edited:

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Short story:

1- I ordered 2 coaxial heli (HK-136) to fly indoors + some junk + shipping; on January 13th US$ 95,00
2- My order sits there and started to being processed only at the 17th, guess what happened next ? Chinese New Year !! my order was still on "processing" by january 29th.
3- i opened a ticket inquiring about the 3 week packaging and guess what ? THEY ASKED FOR MORE MONEY FOR THE SHIPPING (US$ 13,00 ) !!

So i was mad and upset about the SUPER DELAYED packaging and now they ask for more money, just cancelled and got the bonus points ! Thats how i got the 100,00 refund...

Just polluted Glydr topic a lil bit so you can understand why im thinking on this MINI-QUAD, i live in a big house with 2 story living room with a balcony and stairs, seems a perfect playground for the mini-quad.

I flew the gaui 300x on the simulator and looked like i had it for 1000 years !! i flew like an expert on the first flight ! even did some loops and rolls.

So my real concern is HOW GOOD is this setup ? the KK board is as stable as the gaui300 ? the motors are strong enough to fly stable and keep some power in reserve for emergencies ?

My other option is to start a HK 450 GT PRO Heli project ... but ill need another US$ 50-100,00 for that (and lots of spares) and i will not fly indoors ofc. For indoors ill grab a HK-190 (t-rex 100 clone)

what do you guys think ? ill probably end up buying the HK-190 anyway when restocked ( i have 12 batteries for that + the parallel charging cable !! cant ignore it !!! i bought thinking on the HK-136 )

MY CREDIT CARD NEVER BEEN HAPPIER !!! HEEEEELLLPPPP !!! BBYE $$$$$ !!!!

Last edited:

glydr

For that huge living room, HK190 all the way (I have one myself)! If you want a quad for it, Blade mQx for sure. I think you would find this quad a bit large to really enjoy flying it around that space.

I'll be able to tell you how good this setup is when I get it going. Still need to source some 6x3 props before that happens. Still, as you can tell from the build so far the motors aren't exactly top notch so I'm expecting some difficult to remove vibes.

glydr

Another good indoor option is the Blade mCPx. Don't let the Phoenix Sim deceive you, the mCPx is a great little heli.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Another good indoor option is the Blade mCPx. Don't let the Phoenix Sim deceive you, the mCPx is a great little heli.

thanks for your feedback Glydr, I do love the mCPx, they are like the solo Pro 100 or 180 right ? Its not practical for me to buy outside China (hobbyKing) because of customs fees.

thinking on the solo PRO 100 or 180, its almost the same price as a HK450 GT PRO, wich is a much sturdier and bigger Heli and i already have the batteries and radio for it; I just need the Kit, servos, Gyro, ESC and motor - this will sum up roughly US$ 100,00 + shipping.

What I will do for now is to buy the HK-190 (no more coaxial helis) and checkout how your MINI QUAD flies ..... then i'll decide: quad or Heli - and you all know how it ends ........... i will end up with both :D

glydr

you all know how it ends ........... i will end up with both :D

I have both of many things!! :rolleyes:

Yes the mCPx is a lot like the solo pro 100. I just simply can't speak too highly of it. It has limitations (power mainly) but that is making me a better heli pilot.

I had my Blade 400 inverted about waist height the last time I had it out, purely because of all the stick time I put in on the mCPx over Christmas.

Re sturdiness - the mCPx is so small and light that an upset isn't normally an issue. I put mine into a bush and kept flying after fetching it. A similar mishap with a 450 would mean feathering shaft at least! Perhaps some more blades.

Don't get me wrong, 450 helis are brilliant - just different.

I'll get the mini quad going and report back especially on its small area capability.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
check my indoors flying field. i think i can fly in the garden with the quad with no trouble, inside will be just hovering around.

but for the HK-190 will be perfect ! not sure for the solo pro or mcpx ....

Balcony:
2012-02-03 18.26.15.jpg

Left side:
2012-02-03 18.26.30.jpg

right side:
2012-02-03 18.26.43.jpg

Through the double glass doors:
2012-02-03 18.27.26.jpg