HK Yak54 45" ARF

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Well, I've been meaning to get a balsa plane, but I meant to have more space to put one before I did so... HOWEVER Hobbyking have got me again. They chuck up the odd plane on ebay on an auction. I've seen a few of the auctioned planes attract some serious bidding, while others end up about the price of the thing on the website.

So with a carefree, unthinking bid of $32, I scored this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=19113

I'm happy and concerned at the same time. The plane gets pretty good marks from the few sources I rapidly looked up, with the main criticism being the flimsy motor mount that people had reinforced.

My plan is to rip the gear out of my foamie Extra 260, which should be a perfect swap. Sorry Mrs Lobstermash...

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Hey Mrs Lobstermash.

When that big box arrives, hide it and make it a Christmas present....

.... for 2018!

:)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, I dropped the news to her lightly :D She's cool. She even let me get an OrangeRx LRS module and rx before they went on perpetual backorder...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Cheers! Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday next week. Australia Post are on the go-slow at the mo. Can't wait to fit it out!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Big box just arrived. A quick check on the contents....

IMG164.jpg

Apologies to Australia Post I might add. Although I don't know where my 929 has got to...

I have to say that this is a high quality piece of kit. I'll leave it there for now...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
A productive Saturday night with the mrs out... watched 1408 and started working on the Yak.

IMG165.jpg

I tried using balsa cement for the CA hinges, but they just don't grab the hinge well enough.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
What can I say... I'm a rebel ;) I'll get me a little bottle of CA today. They sell it at a local cheap shop, in a pack that looks very similar to HK's.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Update on the Yak... I've spent another few hours on it today. Motor mount is on, all the horns are on, the CA mentioned above worked like magic on the hinges... But dag nam-it, I'm missing the screws for the landing gear! Gah! The only screws I've got that would fit are for the Raptor wings.

Never mind. The kit recommends 16g servos, and my little 9g ones are too small for the holes. If it wasn't for that, I'd be pulling the motor off my Extra 260 and flying on the weekend... Oh well.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, was going to take some last night, but got frustrated with the cowl screws and packed it up before I broke something

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Haha, was going to take some last night, but got frustrated with the cowl screws and packed it up before I broke something

And so it ended up on my bench!

So now I have to figure out how to power this bird. I notice that someone got away with a 3S 2200mAh and this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2128__KD_36_12L_Brushless_Outrunner_1000Kv.html ... but there are newer motors (e.g. NTM series) whcih might be more appropriate.

Hoping to get a light-ish, torquey setup on 3S2200 packs.

Expect your help on motor choice for this one Lobstermash, seeing its your fault!

(Just paid you also)

G

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Cheers big ears! I expect you to be more diligent than I was about taking and posting photos...

I reckon for 3s, you should look at a 1200-1300kv or so motor that can turn a 13/14x6/5 or so prop. Should be nice and torquey and pretty efficient. It's an impressively light plane, especially if you go with cf landing gear!