HK450 build, setup, and test flight/hover

fred0000

can we see either of the Josh's fly some helicopters some time. I watch every show and enjoy them but some more heli footage would be pretty sweet.

a budget 450 build with Josh and Josh behind assembly and test flight would be pretty cool, it would be a great way to show that it's something that almost anyone can take on with the right help and some patience, i'm still learning heli flight and really enjoy it, I think this could be a very informative epesode (or series of epesodes) to help people that are into it, or that are wanting to get into CP/3D helicopters.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It would be cool but it would be a long series. There's so much more that goes into setting up helicopter than there is in the planes they generally review. It would be comparable to doing a kit build from sheets of balsa. There's also so much information that it wouldn't really be appropriate to their fun quick style of show.

I would like to see them take on some heli's though. The Blade series from their second sponser has a couple great ones. I could see them taking on the new MSRX, the SR, and the MCPX. I don't know if either of them are good heli pilots, but they could even step it up to the Blade 450. I bet Josh Scott could handle an MSRX no problem.

Horizon also has a quadcopter RTF now. That would be a cool review since quadcopters are so popular on here.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
There was a helicopter episode or two a while ago (HK 500GT). A 'heli guy' was imported for that one.

But I'd like to see that new baby quad on FT (mQX I believe is the correct designation).

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Agreed. It would be a nice mix once in a while, especially the way heli's have gained so much popularity in the last two or three years. Plus Horizon sells a ton of the Blade helicopters, I bet they wouldn't mind sponsoring an episode or five related to helis.

fred0000

some of the RTF's or ARF's would be good a good idea, they could do a build like the avatar gunship and only cover some of the assembly and link to a full build here on the forum.

but again, any heli related shows would be slick.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
some of the RTF's or ARF's would be good a good idea, they could do a build like the avatar gunship and only cover some of the assembly and link to a full build here on the forum.

but again, any heli related shows would be slick.

I like that, a quick overview in flitetest fashion, then a link to a full detailed show.

A separate episode on the principles of helicopters and general rules and tips. I didn't know how to use a blade pitch gauge until someone showed me. That type of thing is incredibly useful.

For a horizon episode, they could go over the most common repairs from a crash. Since Blade helis all come RTF or BNF, the setup probably isn't as of much interest. Changing a main shaft, feathering shaft, tail boom, blade grip, tail shaft, belt, stuff you usually have to change, now that would be a good 10 minute show. Very very useful too. One of the reasons I keep going back to my closest hobby shop (even though they are 350 miles away) is that they are very good about taking the time to show those types of things to me. I have spent hours in there going over my personal heli, going through programming my DX8, even swapping setups with the SD cards.

Long story short, this info is hard to come by if you don't have an expert nearby. I think common crash item replacement would be a worthwhile show if they start doing helis.

fred0000

Mikeys RC has a nice series of videos on how to build and set up a 450, I really think Josh and Josh aswel as the whole flite test crew could have a ton of fun with it and bring it up to speed since there hasn't been to many decent heli videos for a while.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I agree thata an episode regarding how to set up a Helicopter wouldn´t take an episode! It is just too much. It is like setting up a Tricopter with 4 separate Gyros.

However I´d like to see an episode regarding on how to steer a heli andd how they function so that you get into some knowledge about how they work. Then some simulator and real life testing and maybe a comparison between helis and Multicopters.

fred0000

showing the use of a swash plate leveler and the PROPPER use of a pitch guage would be awesome, since most people don't know how to use one untill they are shown.