• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

HK's 'Old Time' J3 Cub

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I got this as a freebie from HK. Apart from the brushed motor mount, the rest of the plane is modern enough to be a good trainer. When it finally arrived (took the long way to Aus apparently), my wife immediately claimed it as her own. That being the case, I made her build it (aside from the motor mount). I donated a 2210 1400kv to the cause, paired with an 8x6 S/F prop. I modified the battery tray too, so it can fit a 1600 3s pushed into the nose. This *just* balances the plane. Getting the rudder right was a little tricky, as the rod is only just long enough.

All up, I think if I bought this one I'd be pretty happy (hey, it's only $16 + postage). It has been a little trickier to trim out than I anticipated, but it'll be a good first plane for the other half. My eldest has it in his sights too...

IMG017.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Apparently he's a dead ringer for me at that age... Poor kid.

I trimmed it out and it flies beautifully! I'm not used to flying with just a rudder, so I put rudder on both sticks. Works nicely. The power setup is more than overkill. Landing gear is a bit on the floppy side, but that's about my only gripe.

Banshee

What he neglects to mention is that he trimmed it straight into a tree! And then didn't catch it when he finally got it unstuck...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thanks honey... And this is meant to be your plane, remember? ;) It wasn't 'straight' into the tree, the outer branch of a tree caught on to the landing gear... Plane was undamaged. Fred mentioned banning her last month. Maybe I should take up his offer!

Banshee

Just expanding your 'bit more difficult to trim out' comment :) You have to share so that those of us less experienced can learn from your mistakes :p And it was too damaged! There is now a white patch on it's lovely yellow paint :(

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thanks Andre! It really is a tiny blemish. I flew it again today after adjusting the wing angle a touch. Flies like a dream! Looks so good in the air too.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
She's had a total of 4 flights already with other planes, but the cub is the first plane that's 'hers'. I'll definitely get some video of her first flight with it. She spent a couple of hours (over a few weeks) on the sim before flying my Tuff Trainer. I also got her to fly my Bixler and she had a couple of flights on her old man's old skool brushed Cessna.

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I know! I have many jealous flying buddies! My two younger boys are also obsessed with planes, so the poor girl didn't stand a chance. She's as excited to go to an aviation museum or a hobby shop as I am. We share a similar taste in planes too!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Meeting a girl like,

"Hi, do you like RC planes?"

"No"

"Have a nice day"

----------------

"Hi, do you like RC planes?"

"Yes"

"WILL YOU MARRY ME!"

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Funny.

LM's wife explained to me once that if she was to have anything in common with her family it would have to be planes! I don't think mine would quite take that path, but kudos to you banshee!

The new flooring looks good.

G

glydr

How many letters do we ge
PS - Saw the cub yesterday, it did look great in the air. At that sort of price considering it as a disposable trainer.

Banshee

I've flown 4 times so far, with 2 'crashes'. The most damage I've done is snap a prop in half. The footage you want to watch isn't the first time I fly the cub, it's the first time I try and land a plane!!! I can land them on the simulator, but that's a bit different... I grew up in a house with a dad who was (and still is) really into flying models and married someone the same. Now all 3 of our boys are into planes so unless I wanted to spend my days being bored by all their aeroplane talk, I had to become interested too. Now I know most of the planes in the history channel's dogfight series, go to the war memorial to talk to the planes at least 2 times a term and will cheerfully visit any plane memorial/flying exhibit the rest want to go to. Better than being bored or resentful