Hobbico Flightstar Trainer Restoration

Tench745

Master member
You can use a covering iron turned up hotter than usual and kind-of hover it above the covering to shrink it. It's a little more controlled than a heat gun, in my experience.

Bo123

Elite member
You can use a covering iron turned up hotter than usual and kind-of hover it above the covering to shrink it. It's a little more controlled than a heat gun, in my experience.
I don't have covering iron. Ill just use a normal iron.

Bo123

Elite member
Ok so I tried your method and it worked really well. Surface looks a lot nicer. Still quite a few wrinkles, but I think its the best I can do atm. All I need now is a big battery (5000 6s), and a big esc (100a). Hmmmmm.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I will try to get one though.
I'm sure it will tighten up most of those wrinkles. If you get a heat gun that only has high/low settings start off using low and use distance from the film to adjust the amount of heat applied. A hair dryer doesn't get hot enough and a heat gun gets so hot it can burn holes in the film.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Nice work. But I think what you are restoring is not a Goldberg Eagle but a Hobbico Flightstar. The plastic wing and tail tips are a dead giveaway since they would've been balsa on a Goldberg kit. I had a couple of these when I was learning to fly. Very good airplanes.

Attachments

• IMG_20130504_233923.jpg
    IMG_20130504_233923.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 0

Bo123

Elite member
Nice work. But I think what you are restoring is not a Goldberg Eagle but a Hobbico Flightstar. The plastic wing and tail tips are a dead giveaway since they would've been balsa on a Goldberg kit. I had a couple of these when I was learning to fly. Very good airplanes.
Ah thanks very much, shall ammend.

Bo123

Elite member
All I need know is an 80a esc, and a 6s 5200. They will be ordered soon.

Attachments

• 44FFEAFF-7204-4D9C-B9E8-863F1A1A9341.jpeg
    44FFEAFF-7204-4D9C-B9E8-863F1A1A9341.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Notnewton

My Eagle2 had those plastic wing tips included in the kit.

Bo123

Elite member
Well another update. I wasnt able to get my hands on an 80a esc, but did manage to find a glow powered Scottish Aviation Pioneer for $50. However as it was really hard to get around in, and I don’t think it would make a good first glow plane, I decied to put the Engine and fuel tank in the Flightstar. The battery shall be used on a 70mm edf that A friend is giving me, and motor, probably sell with my Spektrum transmitter I got but never used. (A friend is also giving me a futaba for free thats nice of him).

Anyone in Australia want a Spektrum DX6i and 2 recievers for $150?
2F2FA076-090C-4D86-90CE-2C3B70C2BAF8.jpeg
4E9E7837-633A-4A77-B30D-F766BB8106FD.jpeg