Hobby King Mini-3D GeeBee Laser Cut Kit Build

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, yes and no. I don't think they were necessarily design weak points, but since it's a profile plane, the fuse is going to be the weakest point, as it's flat and has no tube cross section for strength. The wings actually had no damage beyond having to reattach the hinges on one aileron. In fact, I have the fuselage already repaired and ready to go again for tomorrow, I just have to add the zip-tie control rod guides.

_DSC9493.JPG

_DSC9494.JPG

I also beefed up the motor mount with a structural fairing.
_DSC9495.JPG

When my wife got home from her Zumba event, I was shooting the plane pics above, but she needed some help getting some stuff out of the car. That's when I noticed thunderstorms off in the distance, so I grabbed my camera again and shot for a little while...Here they are on Photobucket in a larger and less compressed format.
_DSC9574.JPG

_DSC9612.JPG

_DSC9628.JPG

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
So sad to see all that work get hurt :(
No it's all better now. The fuselage covering is a little patchier now...but still flyable!
I am actually surprised it wasn't much worse, based on how soft the balsa was in this kit. It's overall lightness is probably what saved it, lower inertia. It's 310g WITH the battery! Granted, it's only an 800mAh 3S, but it's so fast with this setup. I think I'm going to love it if I can figure out where the interference came from. I did move the gear on the plane around a little bit so my Rx is further from the ESC. They were pretty close last time...

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No remaiden today... The thunderstorms last night were a product of a cold front moving in, so it's really clear skies but windy. It's also, according to the wife, super cold out there! It's about 65-70F so while not "super cold", it's a beautiful day, except for the wind...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Well it is 25 degrees F cooler behind the front in my part of Texas and a great relief from the summer heat that sometimes stretches all the way to December. Not a drop of rain though. :mad:

I did get to see the storms form about 200 miles south of me (moving away though). Great Pics.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well it is 25 degrees F cooler behind the front in my part of Texas and a great relief from the summer heat that sometimes stretches all the way to December. Not a drop of rain though. :mad:

I did get to see the storms form about 200 miles south of me (moving away though). Great Pics.

Thurmond
We got no rain either. Loving the coolness as well, just wish the wind was calmer. It died just at sunset so maybe I'll get to remaiden the GeeBee soon.
I'm not sure who got the storms but I couldn't even hear thunder from them so they were a bit distant!
Thanks. I love shooting lightning but it's so hard to get just the right conditions...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Johan finding the old kit got me itching to make some more balsa dust! So a preview of the red swan build coming soon...

_DSC9714.JPG _DSC9715.JPG _DSC9716.JPG

lunatunes

I know this is a old thread but I was wondering if you had taken the GB for the second maiden?
Would love to know how it flies before I get one.
I cant find one video or mention of how well this plane hovers.

Thanks,
Rand

lunatunes

I'm going to glue on the wing now.
Could someone please tell me if some of the covering on the wing needs to be cut
away where it attaches to the fuselage so that the glue can bond better?

Thanks,
Randy

Corbarrad

I'm going to glue on the wing now.
Could someone please tell me if some of the covering on the wing needs to be cut
away where it attaches to the fuselage so that the glue can bond better?

Thanks,
Randy

It's been decades since my last Balsa build but, yes, the covering needs to be removed so you can get a good, solid wood-to-wood bond.
Make sure you leave enough covering on where you get near edges, though. Covering film doesn't stick well to empty air.