Hobby King Mini Skywalker - FPV Build

bmsweb

Site Moderator
HAHAHA I gave mine away about a year or two ago, mind you I was 16-17!

Hmm, so 16-17, so that means ours are stuck here for 3-4 more years!! lol
You know they are worth a fortune on ebay! I was once going to buy him some bricks cheap on ebay but they hold their value even in pieces!

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hmm, so 16-17, so that means ours are stuck here for 3-4 more years!! lol
You know they are worth a fortune on ebay! I was once going to buy him some bricks cheap on ebay but they old their value even in pieces!

Nope, didn't know! Mine were just a couple of uncomplete sets - nothing more... But given away is given away..

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Some more work on the Mini Sky Walker on the weekend. Its going slower than expected but coming along very neat so far.

SkyWalker09.jpg
Some people on the RC Groups forum had the servo poking through the Vertical Stabilizer. I have no idea why they did this as it would be creating some degree of drag. I couldn't see any reason why you would mount it that way so I opted for mounting it the way it was intended!! How innovative hey :)

SkyWalker10.jpg
As you can see it sits nice and flush. Its worth noting that I have no intention of adding a rudder servo . . because I'm only ever going to be flying straight ;)

SkyWalker11.jpg
Mounting the motor went fine, just need to find two more small screws . . maybe the 2 screws will hold ??

SkyWalker12.jpg
This is the FatShark Camera that came with the Predators. It mounted up fine without needing to cut the canopy. Its actually mounted to the canopy not the fuselage.

SkyWalker13.jpg
Wing Servos went in fine as did the Horns all of which have been epoxied in place. Servos held down with Hot Glue at this stage. The other thing that slowed the construction down is I need to solder extensions to all the servos.

SkyWalker14.jpg
Finally this is the way she look at the moment.
Still need to add the model name which will happen soon.

Next step is mounting the video TX then paint

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks, it should be an awesome little plane this one! Can't wait to get her in the air. Still need to make up the Antennas for the video (both the plane and Fatsharks)

I can't wait to get into FPV myself...
Its a pretty amazing feeling once you settle into that mode and become comfortable with the Goggles on. I'm so glad my son pushed me into going down the path of FPV.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Jason, I'm keen to fly this thing! I've programmed Flaperons etc Its going to be an awesome little bird . . hey I would like to see Thomas spot this at 600m out ;)

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Great build so far !!
Good oics !!
Wish I had more time to start .. aaarrgghhh :(
Mark.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Wish I had more time to start .. aaarrgghhh :(

Thanks Mark, It's killing me trying to find some time to finish it off. So I know where you're coming from. Mind you the weather at the moment here is really poor to say the least, so its not like I'm going to be flying :)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi Guy,

Yet another update :)

Mainly worked on getting the video TX on along with a set of new antennas for both the Goggles and Mini Skywalker.

SkyWalker15.jpg
This is the Antenna I've made along with the position of the FatShark 100mw system.

SkyWalker16.jpg
The vTX is using Wing rubber band support. Its removable just in case I need to go to the 600mw system.

SkyWalker17.jpg
I didn't make the FatShark Goggles but I did create Thomas and the Skew Planar :) It should have enough height to clear ones head, that's why its so long.

SkyWalker18.jpg
So this is what I LOVE about this idea. All I will need to do some fun FPV is what you see in the picture! No Ground station etc.

Well it's getting there slowly :)

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
I didn't make the FatShark Goggles but I did create Thomas and the Skew Planar

LOL !! That made me smile :)

Very clean setup !
I love the Tx plate you made.
Very clever ..

Are you running the Tx and Motor from one LiPo ?
Could you show me how you did this ?

Mark.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Mark, I can't share that information with you because this is a Super Secret Military Aircraft ;) Oh and the fact that I don't have the battery in it. But seriously, I did have a test battery but it was too big so I never really bothered wiring. I received the Nano-Tech battery from HK on Friday, so I'll look at wiring everything in sometime this week. I'll run through it all soon. I'll also be doing a Video on this Model where I can show the model in more detail.

First flight will be with no OSD and if required, I'll start using the Remzibi with this little beast.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Great ! I like it already :cool:
Looking forward to that vid !
I'll start collecting all the stuff I need to build mine as well ..
Mark.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Mark, I can't share that information with you because this is a Super Secret Military Aircraft

That cracked me up :)

Actually I've had thoughts about going to the military in my place and doing an ArduPilot demonstration. Only problem is that I don't have an ArduPilot! But yeah, I think the military should hire me for drone research. They could use a bunch of quadcopters to get some intelligence.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If they do, let me know and I'll come and work for YOU :D

I'll tell them that my team can provide a surveillance drone with AutoPilot and video downlink with 5km operating range. 8 minute mission times for multicopters, up to 30 minutes for planes.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
I'll tell them that my team can provide a surveillance drone with AutoPilot and video downlink with 5km operating range. 8 minute mission times for multicopters, up to 30 minutes for planes.

Great idea !
.. and we charge them 3K an hour so we can build much more of these great FPV planes !!
:cool:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Great idea !
.. and we charge them 3K an hour so we can build much more of these great FPV planes !!
:cool:

Oh I was thinking 5K for each drone, 10K for the initial research and experimentation. Even so, it would work out with just 1K to build a nice big EPP FPV with APM 2.0 and a nice camera.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
At those LOW prices no military organization will take you seriously. add a zero and they will sit up and take notice. ;)

Thurmond