Hobby King Mini Skywalker - FPV Build

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thomas and I are in the process of building a Hobby King Mini Skywalker FPV model. Our intention is to use it with just the FatShark Predator Goggles and no ground station at all. This is a small model that you can have with you in the car and if you find somewhere nice to fly, throw on the goggles and up you go. . . . well that's the plan. I'm going to be using the standard 100mw system that came with the predators.

In any case wondering if anyone is interested in me doing a build log here and showing the progress etc. If there is interest I'll post regular updates.

Picture below shows the model outside of the box, I've removed all the stickers and I'm in the process of airbrushing it now.
SkyWalker01.JPG

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Yes I do!!! I can't wait to get this little beast going. Mind you I haven't decided if I want an OSD in it or not. I have a spare Remzibi which I may put in. The colouring is my son's idea as he wants it too look like a military uav, should be interesting to see how it looks tomorrow :)

Are you going to start a thread on your? If you like I'm more than happy to have your progress on this thread . . I'm sure we will learn from each other :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
OK, I'm super interested! Bring me some popcorn too!

I usually dream of having a big SkyWalker with autopilot - for AP and aerial terrain mapping.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Are you going to start a thread on your? If you like I'm more than happy to have your progress on this thread . . I'm sure we will learn from each other :)

When you are ok with it yes, I'd love to include my build here! Will take some time for my input as I'm still deep into the multi rotors today (DJI NAZA). Looking forward to share ideas !! Thanks..

Edit: I will not include an OSD. i use the remzibi in my bixler and think it is too large/heavy for the mini skywalker.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
OK its Thursday Morning here . . so hopefully I get time to do the Camo on this little bird.

Burg, please include your pics and updates here to, I have no problem at all and it will at least save us jumping from one thread to another. Like yourself I don't want the added weight of the Remzibi and the GPS in this little bird, but its going to have just as much range as my Bixler, so my only concern is getting lost. If I can get it all in without much in the way of compromising the aircraft then I may go down the path of OSD.

More updates to come shortly :)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Here is a quick update with the Camo going on . .bummer that I have to stop and actually do work :(

SkyWalker04.jpg

SkyWalker05.jpg

SkyWalker06.jpg

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Nice! Are you going to use more colors for the camo?

Not sure will wait till the boss gets home and tells me I could I have done better . . . (I'm talking about my son Thomas). I'm just trying to work out where all the electronics will go now and if I incorporate the OSD with this model.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Not sure will wait till the boss gets home and tells me I could I have done better . . . (I'm talking about my son Thomas). I'm just trying to work out where all the electronics will go now and if I incorporate the OSD with this model.

:D Are you the god of electronics in the house? Or is your son knowledgeable too in that area?

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thomas is pretty good but I think electronics is my area. He is exceptionally capable in anything he puts his mind to, you know he hasn't had a go at building his own model from start to finish yet. Yet he spends hours modifying his Nerf Guns making different paper planes etc!

At 6 he wanted to learn to model in 3D, I told him Maya would be too difficult for him to learn because he needed to use the alt, ctrl, space button and all 3 mouse buttons the same time. To my surprise he persevered and picked it up, then at 7 he had a go at making his own tutorial. Kids are amazing when they are interested in something.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
At 6 he wanted to learn to model in 3D, I told him Maya would be too difficult for him to learn because he needed to use the alt, ctrl, space button and all 3 mouse buttons the same time. To my surprise he persevered and picked it up, then at 7 he had a go at making his own tutorial. Kids are amazing when they are interested in something.

Wow, I want to learn 3D modeling too :D

I guess he is kind of like I was, just that my pastime was Lego.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Some minor but time consuming work completed . . I finally decided on mounting location of the FatShark FPV Camera.

Camera is mounted to the Canopy
SkyWalker07.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the location now.
SkyWalker08.jpg

BTW: Thomas approved the Digital Camo, now I need to add some text to it, will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Exactly like that! He loves his legos still and even got a couple for is 13th birthday . . I think our house is the Australian Lego Capital lol

HAHAHA I gave mine away about a year or two ago, mind you I was 16-17!