Hobby King Mini Skywalker - FPV Build

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
At those LOW prices no military organization will take you seriously. add a zero and they will sit up and take notice. ;)

Thurmond

Oh, in my country everything is a zero less - food you get for $15 in USA is $1.50 here :)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
At those LOW prices no military organization will take you seriously. add a zero and they will sit up and take notice. ;)

Thurmond

100% Correct!! about 20 years ago, I was assembling 5 Pencil Cup Assemblies for the P3C Orion that we were doing an Avionics Upgrade to. Each Pencil Cup Assembly was worth $19K at the time. So you're now wondering what does this Pencil Cup Assembly do???? Well it holds one Paper Cup and a Pencil for taking notes :applause:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
100% Correct!! about 20 years ago, I was assembling 5 Pencil Cup Assemblies for the P3C Orion that we were doing an Avionics Upgrade to. Each Pencil Cup Assembly was worth $19K at the time. So you're now wondering what does this Pencil Cup Assembly do???? Well it holds one Paper Cup and a Pencil for taking notes :applause:

That's plane hilarious!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks jelofson, I can't wait to have it in the air :)

Colorex its all the paper trail that goes with aeroscpace components that adds the cost. Basically the Pencil Cup Assembly was released under Aircraft Drawings and Specs, so as such it needed to meet all the requirements of any aircraft component. Basically every part that went on this assembly and by who etc would be 100% traceable.

There is a series on Aussie Television at the moment where they had a section on the Avionics update for both the F111 and the P3C Orion both of which I managed the production of all structual parts. When they showed the P3C Orion, I was trying to point out the Pencil cup assembly to my son :)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Quick Update the total flight weight of the Mini Skywalker without OSD, it comes in at 324g. Could have saved a little more weight if I didn't use a 30Amp ESC . . but that's all I had :)

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks Bbjen :)

CG is all good now and I should be good to go for a final spray job (The Name) after which we are ready to roll.

Cheers
Paul

EDIT: It's storming out side so I couldn't airbrush it in the Garage, ended up airbrushing it in the House!! Packed everything up with Thomas' help and the wife won't know a thing ;)

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
This is the final update as far as pictures go and its all painted up, receiver, battery etc all installed :)

SkyWalker20.jpg
Text and Logo added to model

SkyWalker21.jpg
Canopy a little darker and logo added to Fuselage

SkyWalker22.jpg
Video TX and Camera

SkyWalker23.jpg
Side View

SkyWalker24.jpg
The size in comparison to the Kinetic 800

Will do a short video with a walk though the whole model. Can't wait to fly this thing :D

bmsweb

Site Moderator
WOW, that is small! Can't wait till the maiden!

Me too. You know I can't believe just how bad the weather is here at the moment . . its like as soon as Mr Weather knew it was ready, we are having rain, strong winds and even a minor earthquake :(

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Here is the video with an overview of the whole model. I recorded the audio as I videoed it, but their must have been an issue with the mic connection which resulted in no audio. In the end, I had to voice over the whole lot :( sorry if I'm all over the place.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Mark, thanks for the feedback :) The motor I got was This One. I have a feeling your one may be a better choice. I was buying a whole heap of things at the time and I should have spent more time looking at the motor. Mind you I'm sure it will do the job just fine.

I actually have a 30amp esc in it which is the faulty one from the Phoenix 2000. Its a bit big so I may have to source a smaller one.

colorex,
I'm hanging out to maiden it!! the weather has been crap here at the moment. Fingers crossed this weekend . . Thomas has 2 weeks off school after this week so we should get a chance to maiden this model and his little Red Arrows Hawk 35mm EDF :D

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
If the weather holds out until I get home, we may get a chance to maiden this little bird and my son's Micro EDF!!

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Paul, what LiPo will you be using ?
I have many of the 3S 1000mah nano's (for the MS Swift).
But I believe the 3S 950mah nano's are lighter and smaller.
Perhaps a 2S will work just fine as well.
Mark.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
We did the maiden of both aircraft and they are all A-OK :) So all went pretty good. Mark I'll have a look at exactly what I purchased and get back to you. I'm in the process of uploading Thomas EDF video now. The Fat Shark Camera in low light isn't great at all. The hobby king $16 sony on the bixler was better. Will need to try it again when there is more light.

Mark it flies FANTASTIC!! You will love this little bird! Wait till you see the footage of it.

BTW: I know I'm using a Nano 3S 850mah . . but will confirm