Hobby King Red Swan Balsa Glider Build Thread

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Bringing this thread back to life, I just had an email from Hobby King this morning notifying me that there is a new "V2" version of this kit now. The price dropped to around $39 as well - I'm tempted to pick one up for the future, but hopefully can resist... :) Looks like they made a few updates, like using a carbon fiber tube for the leading edge of the wing (which I did on both of my Red Swan builds) and adding some dihedral bracing. Hopefully they now include actual instructions with the kit, although I'm not holding my breath.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I just had an email from Hobby King this morning notifying me that there is a new "V2" version of this kit now.
Good to know. Hobby King sent an email today of the same kind saying the Sunbird is now V2 and the the price has gone down. I built the Sunbird so I should probably get the Red Swan too. Which one is the better glider in your opinion?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Whoops, I'm an idiot! It was the Sun Bird that's the V2 now, not the Red Swan! :p I don't see the Red Swan on their website now, so maybe it's discontinued? Between the two of them, I think the Red Swan is a better kit (after a couple minor modifications), although for $39 the Sun Bird is hard to beat for the price!

Either way, neither of them is a good beginner kit. However, once somebody does battle with a Hobby King balsa kit and survives they should find themself a much more experienced builder.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I don't see the Red Swan on their website now, so maybe it's discontinued?
I found one vendor on Ali Express still selling the Red Swan (they call it the Red wild goose). The kit price is reasonable enough but they want $22 for shipping which is more than half the kit price.
However, once somebody does battle with a Hobby King balsa kit and survives they should find themself a much more experienced builder.
True! Every balsa kit I've built since the Sunbird has been easier. It was good for the experience. (y)

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joker, I just found your old Red Swan to Salamander EDF conversion. That was looking really good! What happened? Did you loose interest in the kit bash?

Pretty much. It was at the point of covering the wing and doing final install on the electronics and I just wanted to do something else. It still hangs in my workshop in case I ever feel like starting on it again. Same goes for my Red Liner kit bash, although on that one I doubt in my wing design now being strong enough.