Hobby King SunBird Motorized Glider Build Thread

Jesmond Falzon

I see you put the control horns on the top side of the wing. Interesting. I think you are going to have a fast Sunbird with that power setup and weight. Hope you have a long runway to land on. :unsure:
Jon
hi

Yes i made it on top because when i was trying the wing in place i noticed that hitting the ground..... so i have a miss take on the size of the prop 9.5 with a turnigy motor 1000KV....YES I made this glider for land on runway;).

Hi guys,

taking a look at the wing profile in some of the drawings I found around in the internet, it looks like the section of the trailing edge in the wind should be triangle shaped. But in some of the pictures I've seen it's squared.
Shouldn't the trailing edge continue with the curved shape of the wing for better aerodynamics?.
Haven't got the kit yet, but this is one of the things that were not very clear, just from seeing diagrams.

Alberto.

TooJung2Die

Master member
The trailing edge stock in the kit is square. It should be sanded to a taper at the trailing edge. It'll fly if you don't sand it, It's one of those little details that more experienced builders do like scalloping the gussets.

Hello! what do you mean with the plan not being to scale? no matter how much you play with the zoom when printing you'll never get all the pieces in right proportion?
If the plans were good, I think it would be a matter of trying different zoom values with a small piece, maybe the fuselage, and when it matches you print the rest using that same zoom value, what do you think?

Hi Guy's.

Just upload some photos of the plan downloaded from HobbyKing.

I noticed that is not too scale but i'm trying to use it just for a guideline.

this is the link of the build plan.

https://hobbyking.com/media/file/833089250X970275X13.pdf

View attachment 104753 View attachment 104754 View attachment 104755 View attachment 104756

Jesmond Falzon

Hello! what do you mean with the plan not being to scale? no matter how much you play with the zoom when printing you'll never get all the pieces in right proportion?
If the plans were good, I think it would be a matter of trying different zoom values with a small piece, maybe the fuselage, and when it matches you print the rest using that same zoom value, what do you think?

hi i just used the plan as a guideline and yes is not accurate at all but some parts yes is in scale..... So i post more than enough of my work pictures here...it is good to who wish to build it......enjoy it and let's start ALBERTO!!!.

Hey @Jesmond Falzon ! thanks for your words, I've been trying to pick a provider for the kit, and saw this,

sunbird link

Looks like an interesting set of new features, but not sure. Also is it worth it to buy all the electrical parts together with the kit?
I have bought from that site with good experiences(but mostly clothes), which providers are recommended?

Alberto.

Jesmond Falzon

Hey @Jesmond Falzon ! thanks for your words, I've been trying to pick a provider for the kit, and saw this,

sunbird link

Looks like an interesting set of new features, but not sure. Also is it worth it to buy all the electrical parts together with the kit?
I have bought from that site with good experiences(but mostly clothes), which providers are recommended?

Alberto.

hi mate tks a lot.

i bought from Hobbyking europe and most of some electronics .

especially the motor prop and the spinner bought from Banggood.

the total cost without lipos and receiver is 135 euro including shipping,covering etc.

so if you need some thing just ask me!!!.

g.day

TooJung2Die

Master member
I have bought from that site with good experiences(but mostly clothes), which providers are recommended? Alberto.

I like the looks of the new Sunbird kit on AliExpress. Good upgrades. I'm not sure if buying the motor and electronics is a good buy price-wise. The included motor looks like a 2212 which is more than enough. I built light and use a 2208 which is plenty. Use the combo kit as a guide and price the parts separately then compare the price to the combo kit. If you purchase the electronics separately you will know exactly what you are buying.
Jon

Endre

1545926687451.png

Endre

Cool! Another Sunbird! How does she fly, Endre?
Was not easy to buid it, but i did it. My first balsa. Tech installed: Turnigy 2826/1400, 9x5 folding, 30a ESC, and 1300 3 S. Covering...my god...was so ride to hell, but i did it somehow

TooJung2Die

Master member
Covering...my god...was so ride to hell, but i did it somehow
I know how it feels. You'll get better with the next airplane. I look at my Sunbird wing and I think about stripping off the covering and redoing it. It was my first covering film job in 45 years. I had a lot to relearn.
Jon

I thought I'd add to this thread as much for the record as anything. Thanks to Joker et al for the tips. I ended up going without alierons but an extended centre-section and lots of extra dihedral (as you can see in the pics). About 2m WS. I'll let you know how the maiden goes :)

Attachments

• 20210214_135401.jpg
    20210214_135401.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210309_092904.jpg
    20210309_092904.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 0