mayan

Legendary member
What only buzzbomb throwing a guess at what was the outcome of the maiden of the new Mini Arrow?

Reactions: FDS

mayan

Legendary member
Come on more guesses I am dieing to post the video but won't do so until we hit at least 10 guesses. :)
P.S. - There are more videos coming. So guess fast :)...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Most experienced RC pilots would not even guess at the outcome of their own maidens! Until a plane is actually flown its behavior is actually unknown. Sure the design can be perfect and so easy to fly but there are a myriad of factors including build, setup, environment, and even radio issues which can conspire to destroy the most perfect of builds or designs,

I have seen newbies maiden, successfully, planes which would fail any decent pre-flight and experienced builders and pilots destroy a carefully and expertly built and setup models in very short time.

As for guessing, I guess that my estimate will most likely be wrong so I refrain from making guesses! I do assume that every maiden will be successful but I often am proven wrong!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Most experienced RC pilots would not even guess at the outcome of their own maidens! Until a plane is actually flown its behavior is actually unknown. Sure the design can be perfect and so easy to fly but there are a myriad of factors including build, setup, environment, and even radio issues which can conspire to destroy the most perfect of builds or designs,

I have seen newbies maiden, successfully, planes which would fail any decent pre-flight and experienced builders and pilots destroy a carefully and expertly built and setup models in very short time.

As for guessing, I guess that my estimate will most likely be wrong so I refrain from making guesses! I do assume that every maiden will be successful but I often am proven wrong!

Have fun!
Word! In tribute to @Hai-Lee here is the New Mini Arrow maiden video...

Also here is a video of yesterday's practice session. Let me know what you think :).

mayan

Legendary member
4527629F-A7BE-4D92-8803-153C5A45F979.jpeg

Is it repairable?

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
If it’s diving like that don’t keep trying to fly it. Nobody could have done mutch better than that. I suspect your foamboard is heavy, the black we have here is the dense stuff and the 5mm in particular can cause problems. I would go for 3mm if it’s available and look at a more powerful motor. It seemed like it tracked really straight and you got a great throw launch.
With the TT I have found flying when you are in a hurry is almost always bad, I have had more crashes trying to slot in “one more flight” than anything else. Have you tried a little more expo on your TT, with the low rates? It looks like you have a lot of elevator there.
Keep going, you are doing really well. Take time to get the TT super well set up before going out again, then fly it as much as possible to get some stick time in before having a go with something else. I have three built planes I haven’t flown yet, I want more hours in the log book first.
Echoing the others, that Edge 540 is very nicely made.
Have you tried Hai-Lee’s suggestion of a 0.5-1mm spacer under the wing leading edge to give a little incidence on the sport wing for the TT? I just put a strip of sticky Velcro at the front edge, it helped hold the wing central and did the incidence.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The mini-arrow looks repairable to me. Did you have any reflex in your elevons? Wings need a touch to keep the wing at a positive incidence to the airflow.
Here's how much mine needs... 15485347332531071272014935830012.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
I suspect your foamboard is heavy, the black we have here is the dense stuff and the 5mm in particular can cause problems. I would go for 3mm if it’s available and look at a more powerful motor
I don’t know to say but it seems more durable. With the TT I thought to use the F pack motor. 3mm black isn’t available unfortunately.

Have you tried a little more expo on your TT, with the low rates? It looks like you have a lot of elevator there.
I am having issues with that on my current transmitter.

Have you tried Hai-Lee’s suggestion of a 0.5-1mm spacer under the wing leading edge to give a little incidence on the sport wing for the TT?
I haven’t and need to.

Echoing the others, that Edge 540 is very nicely made.
Thank you.

Did you have any reflex in your elevons?
I did. Had a hard time launching it this time :(.

The mini-arrow looks repairable to me.
I will try to repair it. Thank you.

FDS

Elite member
Looks like you have some positive things to try. The 3mm isn’t easy to get in black here either.
The issue with the greater weight is that it messes up the CG and when you do get it set up, it’s heavier than designed. With the minis that means you need more speed to stay up, which means a harder experience trying to fly vs a lighter airframe. The bigger planes have scale on their side but can be a bit faster too, with the heavier build.
I have stopped building in the dense 5mm now, annoyingly there’s the best part of a whole 10 pack which won’t get used up as a result.
With my minis I have standardised on an 1806 2400 CCW motor from HobbyKing, they are dirt cheap at £4 each, tough and with a 6x4 prop make plenty of thrust on 2s and bags of thrust on 3s. My Simple series now run Sunny Sky 2216 1100kv which is a bigger motor that will make lots of thrust, with 9x3 props on 3-4s or 10x4 on 3s. I would rather have a little too much thrust and set my throttle low as opposed to not enough or run flat out all the time.
I think the first motor from your TT video is on its last legs, I would retire it.
Looking forward to your next air adventure, forecast here is terrible for 5 days.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
@FDS thanks for those tips. I also use a 6x4 prop it gives that extra power.

I think the first motor from your TT video is on its last legs, I would retire it.
I wasn’t sure so I checked it out. I ran the same ESC on a different motor and it did the same reaction. So I think it’s the ESC but more checks tomorrow.

Looking forward to your next air adventure.
Preparing the video of it as we speak...

forecast here is terrible for 5 days.
That’s a bumper. I hate when that happens. Usually means I don’t go out for the next few days after the rain storm just to let the field dry up a bit.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@mayan On the arrow I would suggest that you angle the motor a little so that the thrust line is just a tad higher before playing too much with other settings.

Be careful of the weight because a heavy wing will need to fly slightly nose up to maintain level flight and of course require an increased amount of reflex to achieve proper balance.

If you are crashing more than flying have a look at a KFM wing to learn on as they rarely break even when flown into trees, fences or even poles!

Have fun!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Bleh! Not sure what I did but I accidentally unsubscribed to this thread! Lame!

Don't give up on that arrow, man. It doesn't need much power to fly. It's all about balance and reflex. I fly mine on 2S with an 1806-2700, 6x4 prop.

You also need to work on your launch. Try a vertical launch to get a little more altitude to play with. Here's my technique:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Aaaaaahhhh!!!! That would have been me. The frustration level and letting it out. You know that I don't know, but it really seemed to me that both builds were simply underpowered. I've no experience with the wing, but it really seemed like it just ran out of gas before every crash.

The TT? Perhaps it was the wind slowing it down (it seemed windy from the video) but mine has never hung off the the prop and flown with the tail down. If the tail was down, the bird was going up. Or around, or sideways, then up and then around. Yea. It certainly didn't hang and oscillate in flight the way yours did.

Batteries, motor, esc, transmitter settings, I've no clue. Heck, I know you check your CRAP (I love that), and my experience is extremely limited, but I do have experience with the TT. It shouldn't look like that in flight. My honest opinion, brother? It's underpowered, or tail heavy or a little bit of both.

I'm sorry about the arrow. I'm glad Caroline thinks it can be rebuilt. That build deserves to soar!

You've inspired me once again by the way. Looking at the extended forecast It might be a bit before I can try to fly again, but I've got parts on order for my Mini Scout. You keep branching and trying and just soaking up the disappointment like it's just part of the journey. It is. Thank you. Crash and burn, I'm going to to try to fly that darn thing! :D